Mettler Toledo Scale Calibration Training

SGCalLab

Starting to get Involved
I would like to get certified on MT scales for calibration and repair.

We are an end user with a new in-house calibration department. We currently contract our work out, but would like to do it ourselves.

Is there a way to get training other than through the authorized MT rep (our vendor)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Given that you are referring to a specific brand, alternative sources are unlikely, but I cannot say for certain.

Perhaps someone else has more direct knowledge.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Short answer.... good luck.:rolleyes:

Mettler Toledo is very, very proprietary with their service manuals/ software to hook up and make higher level adjustments to some of their balances.

They make good equipment, but they are a bit stingy with their service availability.

As far as training, a good local source for balance calibrations should be able to help you with the fundamentals of corner loads, environmental considerations, internal calibration adjustments, and basic programming. Depending on the model balance, there may be some things you can do (and have information to do) and things you would need to contact the mfg. rep.

First, determine if it is cost effective to do it in-house. Not sure what class you need, but a decent set of Class 0 weights are expensive. Then, get a procedure in-place for the balances. Handbook 44 is a good start, but for precision analytical balances you may have to draft your own specialized procedure. Too, you may need to set up some classifications of tolerances.

Again, it may not even be worth it to mess with. Or, you might consider getting some check weights and performing drift analysis and such periodically; stretching out the required calibration intervals. Your intervals can also be extended by using internal calibrations, proper environment and observing proper leveling and such.:)

SGCalLab

Starting to get Involved
Looks like BradM was on the money about MT. I called MT and they said they only teach their licensed people like my vendor.

We have over 200 scales, which are calibrated quarterly. From large floor scales to small table scales.

The info merrick65 provided looks great...I've downloaded the manual..probably take a couple days to go over it and I'll come back if I have more questions....Thanks!

BradM

Staff member
Admin
You can try the following website for information: http://www.iescorp.com/helplinks.htm click on the Field Service Handbook.pdf link. This will have different Mettler & Toledo calibration procedures. As pointed out you will need calibrated wieghts which can be expensive. Also if the scales need to be repaired you will still need your scale company. The IES website has a lot of information available.
Merrick, thank you for that awesome link! That is a really good source of information. Actually, IES has a list of "maintenance" tolerances used for balances; translation-realistic tolerances. That is a really good source for setting up use tolerances and such for new balances. I was trying to think of it when I saw this thread, but my memory fades every now and then.:D

Looks like BradM was on the money about MT. I called MT and they said they only teach their licensed people like my vendor.

We have over 200 scales, which are calibrated quarterly. From large floor scales to small table scales.
How have your balances been performing? If the balances are being taken care of and the other stuff I mentioned being done, you should not be having any failures at quarterly, and about 25-40% adjustments (I'm just kinda estimating, there). Once you have established stability, you can get you some check weights, and perform routine verifications. Once you get stability and such, extend that interval to six months, and then a year.

If you can get calibration out to a year, it will be feasible to keep calibration outside. With floor scales and analytical balances, you are going to have a pretty decent investment in weights alone; not to mention the storage/ transportation of the large weights.

As far as your floor scales, have they been covering the full range that you need? Handbook 44 allows for checks below full range of the scale.

D

Daniel Walker - 2011

Generating a quality system that covers the bases for doing in-house scale calibrations and maintenance is a huge undertaking. Brad's suggestion of lengthening the calibration interval for your outside provider, supplementing with in-house daily/weekly verifications is your best bet for saving $$. You still need an outside, trained and ACCREDITED calibration provider to look up on your scales at least once a year. And you definitely need them for service work.

A

Automatic

The info merrick65 provided looks great...I've downloaded the manual..probably take a couple days to go over it and I'll come back if I have more questions....Thanks!
Mettler is like a Roto Rooters. They have nation wide service network and their revenues from field serivce is significant They'll do nothing for you that will cause you to drop them. I think the service is where they make more money.
I'm a self trained tech engineer. A good start is to read and attend seminars about weighing uncertainties so you understand what it is you're adjusting. What many users understand is what idea scales will be, but they're far from it.

I have a handful of older Mettler laboratory balances and I've hit a road block already. In the process, I researched Mettler-Toledo and you'll see that they're like Roto-Rooters

The procedures in IES manual is a get-around method and it does not have the ability of factory procedures.

User calibration is all you can do.

If the corner load is off, mechanical adjustments are needed.
After these adjustments, it must be followed by temperature coefficient learning and linearization.

Even if corner load adjustment is not needed, a linearity calibration would be a good idea. These settings are made in the flash memory on the main board and the programming requires service program.

Since on a Mettler you can't get to linearity or temperature constants adjustments, if you adjust the corner load, you won't be able to adjust it back to original specs.

Ohaus has some of their products made by Mettler and have the same setup, but there are some models that let the user adjust linearity.

S

SEBON

Thank you to merrick65 the link that you gave in response to this problem was very helpful to me. The field service hand book is an indispensable tool in tackling some of the calibration challenges that i face daily.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BradM Uncertainty calculation - Estimation for a Mettler Toledo XP 56 balance at 20 grams Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
M Tritator DL-50 Mettler Toledo - Problems finding a Supplier to Calibrate the Tritator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Looking for a Karl Fischer test method - Mettler DL37 KF Coulometer Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C What is the least acceptable TAR value? Mettler UMX2 micro balance - Class E2 weights General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Transferring a calibrated counting scale to a sister company Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S MSA clause 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies on counting weight scale Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
supadrai Remote Opportunity - Large Scale Glove Factory QMS / RA / Legal Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
A Attribute Analysis for colour matching scale Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Earth leakage current test for Permanently installed Large scale MEE IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
dhuot1990 USP 41 Hanging Scale - Is it possible to make a hang scale adhere to USP41 Standards? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Q FDA 3500A Reports - Trip and Fall - Weight scale with a fold out platform Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Weigh Scale Electronics - Suggested Storage Humidity and Temperature Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
G Uncertainty of staging a short line scale standard on longer measuring machine? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
A Does the scale for counting need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Sample Size, Significant Figures, Scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S IEC 60601-2-27: What does "linear within ±20% of the full scale output" mean? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S Is a GR&R necessary for Weighing Scale? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Procedures necessary for things such as the floor cleaner or weigh scale ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
G Metal Scale (SIP-Societe Genevoise) change in size over time? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Is calibration of a weigh scale required? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
M What is 'Loft' which is used in Boeing company to express 1/1 scale 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M What is the criteria for "small-scale device" regarding CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Verification of weighing scale 150kg capacity 0.05g accuracy General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Digital Scale Re-Calibration Interval Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
N Definition of Large-Scale Fixed Installation per the RoHS2 Directive EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Single-Point Scale Calibration - Very Large Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Hardness Testing - Rockwell 15T Scale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Steel Coil Scale Verification Resolution Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
W Weighing Scale used in Phamaceutical Production - Daily Verification Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
A Scale Error Calculator wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Where do I find Frequencies and Composite Scale in Minitab? Using Minitab Software 2
K Calibration Standards - Master weight having more tolerance than our gram scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D What is a Ford Single Scale? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
K What does Data Logger Accuracy = ? 0.25% of Full scale ? 1 Digit Mean? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K How to group 5 questions to be one variable for Likert Scale question Using Minitab Software 11
P Chemical Purity Testing - FMEA Severity Scale FMEA and Control Plans 2
I Connection of Secondary Circuits to Medical Weight Scale Enclosure IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Conductivity Meter Specification - What Is Accuracy +/- 1% Full Scale + 1 digit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
S Count (Bolts and Nuts) Scale - Class of Calibration Weights Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
S Offline Laboratory Scale Gauges for Min Max Diameter of Round Steel Bars General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Preventing Shortage of Product Quantity - Hand Count and Scale Count Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
D How to Compute the Accuracy Class for a Weighing Scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D How to compute the Permissible Errors for Class 2 Weighing Scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2