Micrometer Anvil Placement to measure the diameter of Steel Wires

M

Mgoul

I need help clearing up a debate regarding proper use of micrometers. We are currently using flat anvil 1" inch hand-held micrometers to measure the diameter of various steel wires.

There are quality techs that attempt to use just the barest edge of the anvil to measure OD of the wire because they think it is "more accurate".

I have always assumed it was standard practice to center the wire "more or less" in the anvil.

Can any of you shed some light on what best practice is please?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Micrometer anvil placement

I need help clearing up a debate regarding proper use of micrometers. We are currently using flat anvil 1" inch hand-held micrometers to measure the diameter of various steel wires.

There are quality techs that attempt to use just the barest edge of the anvil to measure OD of the wire because they think it is "more accurate".

I have always assumed it was standard practice to center the wire "more or less" in the anvil.

Can any of you shed some light on what best practice is please?
Anvils of a micrometer are supposed to be flat. That is one of the checks performed during calibration. Typically, an optical flat and a monochromatic light source is used to very this flatness within a predetermined number of light bands. OK. So, in principle, it should not make any difference. If your quality techs suspect out-of-flatness, then it's time for calibration right??

Establish one measuring method, stick with it, and thus reduce measurement system variation. Have you ever considered an MSA study? (Measurement System Analysis)

Good luck!

M

Mgoul

I didn't explain my concern very well.

When the technicians in question use the edge of the anvil to measure an OD I feel it opens us to the possibility that they may not get to the high center of the wire. There must be times when they approach from the side, make contact a little shy of the high center and report a slightly undersized diameter.

To my point, there is a lab tech that has rejected an inordinate number of wires due to slightly under spec ODs and he uses the "side anvil method".

I didn't explain my concern very well.

When the technicians in question use the edge of the anvil to measure an OD I feel it opens us to the possibility that they may not get to the high center of the wire. There must be times when they approach from the side, make contact a little shy of the high center and report a slightly undersized diameter.

To my point, there is a lab tech that has rejected an inordinate number of wires due to slightly under spec ODs and he uses the "side anvil method".
Are you measuring a spring or something made from wire which restricts the access of the whole micrometer? If so, there are special frames, anvils etc to allow for wire measurements. Otherwise, it seems you need to do some studies with these technicians to show them what they are doing is causing issues.

In that case, you should probably do a couple of things. Some one-to-one coaching on use of micrometers, maybe with a cal. lab supplier (technician) there, with their set of optical flats so your guys can see the anvil is flat. Then have them make measurements and plot them across the face of the anvil to show there's no variation. Also ask them, of course, why, they think doing it their way is beneficial...

C

CRYOSILVER

In a case like this, I'd issue the techs a V anvil micrometer, so as to ensure centered contact of the anvil to the wire. As an alternative, compare the "centered" measurement and the "edge" measurement to a third method, such as measuring the wire between a surface plate and a dial indicator and see which is more "true."

If you have one tech rejecting more wires than others, a gage R&R on the measurement of this diameter might be a good place to start determining what's happening here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Micrometer anvil chipped General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
G From an ISO 17025 auditor perspective must micrometer calibration check anvil flatness? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W Standard for Micrometer Anvil Flatness Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
M Trigonometric Calculation (V-Anvil Micrometer). I'm not getting it. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Micrometer and Vernier Caliper simple calibration process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
G How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Procedure Creation specifically for dimensional (caliper, micrometer, dti) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
G Caliper or Micrometer's Dimensional Flatness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Manual Procedure with Uncertainty Budgeting for either a Caliper or Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Uncertainty Budget for a Micrometer Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M Laser Micrometer Suggestion (if any) for diameters that are +/-.0001 inch General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T A question on Calibration on In-line Laser Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C One Inch Micrometer Calibration Method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
W Micrometer Storage while not in use General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Can anyone share a completed Gage R & R on a Micrometer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
W Thread Micrometer Standard Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Micrometer Calibration Using a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 12
5 Reasonable GRR result for a 0-1" micrometer with a total tolerance of .002" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
M Calibration of a Micrometer used as a Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Laboratory to Calibrate Objective Micrometer needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W First Draft Micrometer Calibration Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
D Procedure on How to Calibrate a External Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Micrometer Parallelism and Flatness Calibration Requirements and Specs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
J Air Micrometer Basics - What are the internal parts and how do they work Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J Calibration of Micrometer Reading up to Three Decimals General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Calibration Procedure for ID Micrometer Calibration & Extension Rods General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
4 Federal Specification GGG-C-105C - Caliper, Micrometer, Gage, Depth Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
D Determining Instrument Purchase based on Accuracy (Micrometer) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Generic or Specific Gauge R&R on Standard Equipment (ie.: Micrometer) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
P Micrometer Calibration Methods Calibration Frequency (Interval) 11
D What is the correct Working Standard for Digital Micrometer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
D Laboratory where we can have parts checked for Thickness with a Laser Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Micrometer Calibration - Resolution, Accuracy and Range General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
D Laser Micrometer for checking Thickness of Steel - Any Recommendations or Comments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P How to Calibrate Laser Micrometer when no Calibration Company in the Country? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M How to Fix the Standard Bar of a Screw Thread Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Results of a GR&R study done on a 0-1" Digital Micrometer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
V Calibration Procedure for Thread Pitch Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Dispute - Checking a thin walled, round, hollow part with micrometer Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 25
C Seeking a holder/jig to calibrate large OD micrometer calipers (up to 23") General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T In-House Calibration - Digital Micrometer found Out of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
D GRR (Gage R&R) procedure for Mitutoyo Digital Micrometer wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Need of working standard for vernier and micrometer calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Micrometer Gage R&R study - Interpreting the data and suggestions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Choosing a Laser Micrometer - Your recommendations? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D Calibrating Lufkin ID Micrometer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Using & Calibrating Ultrasonic Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Pin Gauge Calibration using a Micrometer - Accuracy & Calibration Level Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
ScottK What is the useful life for a good 0-1" digital micrometer? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7