Microsoft Access APQP type database for Process Flow, FMEA, Control Plan, etc.

M

mcward316

Manix, Thanks for the reply. I really think Access is the way to go because it is so easy to share and easy to modify. I'll offer the same to you, if you have any ideas on how to accomplish something in Access, feel free to ask. I have done some things similar to Quality DB, but never what we might call "documentation management", such as FMEA or 8D. I'm at the point where I think I will start this. It'd be nice if someone who has done this would post their code. Ain't nothing out there I've found yet worth spending money on.
In regards to Access 2010, let's just say I'm glad I didn't start all this before the transition to 2010, as so many features have gone away and the whole interface has changed. But, I agree, much nicer interface. I just wish Microsoft would make developing forms in Access as nice as Visual Studio.

T

togotogotogo

This sounds intersting. Would it be possible to share your experience (or even your access database)?

QATN11

Involved In Discussions
I have seen relatively low cost entry level products such as ERP and Quality System databases that are based in Access. Do some web searches and you can find some. Unless you want to build one yourself as a learning experience and are plan on supporting it long-term, consider one that is already available. If you do choose to build a database from scratch, consider using MicrosoftSQL or another SQL based system especially if it is to be deployed over a network. Programming logic is similar with some command differences and most SQL databases are more stable than Access when multi-users are involved.

finchg

Registered
Re: Microsoft Access - APQP type database for process flow, fmea, control plan, etc.

Now I have to confess that I’m not an active user of these forums, but I came across this thread some time ago when researching using Access to create an APQP database and having revisited it since then and seeing the most recent post on the subject I thought I'd register on the forum to share my experiences.

From the outset as I should make it clear that I’m not an Access programmer, or for that matter have any kind of formal Access training, I’m a Project Manager for an engineering business and I’m not posting this to sell my database (or give it away for that matter!). But simply to answer Manix's question, yes, it is possible to use Access as a database for APQP/PPAP/Project Management and do so very successfully.

About 3 years ago the company I work for was working towards Q1 accreditation, the big problem was how we controlled and managed our PPAP process, due mainly to the large number of components and suppliers involved. It was decided that a database needed and I was tasked with selecting a suitable one for the business. During the course of my research I found that the majority of products on the market just weren't suitable for my needs, they either cost too much, or they had dozens of features I didn't need and none of the ones I did, they didn't work the way I wanted them to or were just plain too complicated. So the decision was taken that we should develop our own database and being the person with the most knowledge of Access I was given the task.

The database initially took about 2 weeks to develop from scratch, it wasn’t perfect by any means, but it was a good start and it has continued to develop over time and it’s now a very solid and reliable database, even in a multi-user environment. The database covers the following aspects of the APQP/PPAP process (not an exhaustive list); Bill of Materials, PPAP and IMDS status of child parts (including an annual revalidation timetable), Process Flow, Control Plans (linked to the Process Flow), PFMEA (again linked to the Process Flow), OEE and the PSW front sheet. The likes of the OEE and PSW can be exported to Excel spreadsheets, as many customers want these documents in their own Excel format rather than using the standard AIAG ones.

Admittedly not being an Access programmer the database may not be written as an expert would do it, but being an engineer and understanding how the various bit of information are used is a great advantage and allows a greater degree of freedom. I feel the main benefit though of developing your own database is the flexibility it gives you of being able to tailor a database to the way your business works. I’ve attached a couple of screenshots for information.

Matt is there any chance I could get a copy of your APQP database as I am looking into controlling this better than my predecessor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Matt is there any chance I could get a copy of your APQP database as I am looking into controlling this better than my predecessor
FYI - Matt hasn't been here in quite a few years, so there is no way anyone will be able to even communicate with him.

This discussion was started in 2001 so there are quite a few people who are no longer active here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom