Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System

How do you report the weld content of a part when entering a part into IMDS? I have a family of parts that are made up of two metal components mig welded together then e-coated. I receive material MDS from my steel suppliers and e-coater. Technically it seems like I should be requesting an MDS from my weld wire supplier. They have no clue as to what I am asking for as they have never worked in the IMDS system. I am handling it by dividing the weight of the weld between the two metal brackets and considering the weld "steel". I'd be interested in knowing if others handle it differently. Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Working on a similar problem in the past, I contacted the weld supplier to determine the chemical makeup of the weld wire, and of the flux (presuming it is flux cored MIG; if not, then you have nothing to worry about). If you know the 'mass' of the weld on the part (should be a fairly easy calculation) and the chemistry of the weld wire, then you can calculate the amount of various materials in your finished component.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cats Clause Practical use of Heat Input calculation for Manual MIG Welding Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Specific Special Process requirements in TS 16949 for MIG Welding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K MIG Welding Failure Modes and PFMEA Sample Needed ASAP FMEA and Control Plans 10
B Mig Welding WPS (Welding Procedure Specification) and Welder Qualification Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
3 General MIG Weld Workmanship Standard or Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Interlaboratory comparison or proficiency testing in destructive testing of welded joints ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
D Hot Plate Welded Plastic Strength Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Is there a standard for Pull Test for Ultrasonic Welded Parts? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
E Piping for Injection Water - Regulated or not & can welded or seamless pipe be used? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
K Using a Tape Measure for +/- 1/16" Tolerance - Large Welded Assemblies (6 to 12') Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
P Test equipment for resistance welded wire/rebar Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Internal NCR - Welded steel - Fixes during welding process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
D ASTM-A-632 Rev 04 - Specification for Seamless and Welded Austenitic Stainless Steel Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Z Welding Expert Needed to help us - Square Aluminum bar to be welded Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Design Transfer & use of "prototype" components in production devices. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R EU MDR Article 22 applicability of medical device with components. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
BusyBee IVD components supplied in bulk CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Class II Active Medical Device SYSTEMS and COMPONENTS Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
J UDI and Labelling hierarchy and requirements for separate device components EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R Transport of components off site for final assembly. Medical Device Related Regulations 2
W Strategy for determining which components from a system should be "ME EQUIPMENT" -- home healthcare environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S CE Marking components within IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
C Do components of a system require UDIs? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
blackholequasar Price Gouging? (Electronic components) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
Ed Panek Very Long Lead Times for Components (Electrical) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Z Proving REACH/RoHS status for electronics components from Digikey/Mouser REACH and RoHS Conversations 7
T Device & Accessory, Components in device, or System EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Reporting REACH - Electronic components distributor REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
R Components to a finished medical device, MDR requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
U Procedure pack components EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Sterilized components expiration date ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Sterilized components shelf life Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
C Warehousing two separate components to a finished device while meeting regulations Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
C Shelf life electronic components 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
F Biocompatibility evaluation for Hardware/Interface Components? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
K 510K new manufacturer but same components Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Medical Device Components US to EU commercialization EU Medical Device Regulations 7
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A Components of a medical device - Hardware robotic hand EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D IMDS for Like Components (Interior Plastic, Leather/vinyl Armrest, etc.)other than Color APQP and PPAP 1
JoshuaFroud Serial numbers and labelling when sharing device components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A How to deal with changed shared components in 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Nicole Desouza Plastic Extrusion of Medical Device Components - No ISO or AS 9100 Certifications Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
Q Handling Off-the-Shelf Components 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1