Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System

How do you report the weld content of a part when entering a part into IMDS? I have a family of parts that are made up of two metal components mig welded together then e-coated. I receive material MDS from my steel suppliers and e-coater. Technically it seems like I should be requesting an MDS from my weld wire supplier. They have no clue as to what I am asking for as they have never worked in the IMDS system. I am handling it by dividing the weight of the weld between the two metal brackets and considering the weld "steel". I'd be interested in knowing if others handle it differently. Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Working on a similar problem in the past, I contacted the weld supplier to determine the chemical makeup of the weld wire, and of the flux (presuming it is flux cored MIG; if not, then you have nothing to worry about). If you know the 'mass' of the weld on the part (should be a fairly easy calculation) and the chemistry of the weld wire, then you can calculate the amount of various materials in your finished component.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Practical use of Heat Input calculation for Manual MIG Welding Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Specific Special Process requirements in TS 16949 for MIG Welding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K MIG Welding Failure Modes and PFMEA Sample Needed ASAP FMEA and Control Plans 10
B Mig Welding WPS (Welding Procedure Specification) and Welder Qualification Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
3 General MIG Weld Workmanship Standard or Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Interlaboratory comparison or proficiency testing in destructive testing of welded joints ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
D Hot Plate Welded Plastic Strength Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Is there a standard for Pull Test for Ultrasonic Welded Parts? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
E Piping for Injection Water - Regulated or not & can welded or seamless pipe be used? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
K Using a Tape Measure for +/- 1/16" Tolerance - Large Welded Assemblies (6 to 12') Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
P Test equipment for resistance welded wire/rebar Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Internal NCR - Welded steel - Fixes during welding process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
D ASTM-A-632 Rev 04 - Specification for Seamless and Welded Austenitic Stainless Steel Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Z Welding Expert Needed to help us - Square Aluminum bar to be welded Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
F Biocompatibility evaluation for Hardware/Interface Components? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K 510K new manufacturer but same components Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Medical Device Components US to EU commercialization EU Medical Device Regulations 7
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A Components of a medical device - Hardware robotic hand EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D IMDS for Like Components (Interior Plastic, Leather/vinyl Armrest, etc.)other than Color APQP and PPAP 1
JoshuaFroud Serial numbers and labelling when sharing device components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A How to deal with changed shared components in 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Nicole Desouza Plastic Extrusion of Medical Device Components - No ISO or AS 9100 Certifications Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
Q Handling Off-the-Shelf Components 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I PPAP Assembly and Components Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D CB Certificate - Distributor for a product with electrical components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
K Selling Medical Device Components to US hospitals and doctors US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Need Assistance in Visual Inspection - Tiny electronic components AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R FDA - How to discontinue/obsolete medical devices that share sub-components with others that will still be distributed Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
D Software Validation - Contract manufacturer of Components (PCBA's) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
G Audit finding - Components being transferred inter-plant Internal Auditing 3
J Referencing Medical Device in FDA records - Package contains several other components Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K Article 23 (Parts and components) - Economic Operator EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S How are Medical Device Components and Subassemblies defined? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H Classification of a Class IIb Medical Device with 3 Components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
P REACH - A few of the hundreds components in my product no longer meet requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
C Medical device file for components such as adhesives, gaskets, films, etc. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
S Do suppliers of prototyping components need to undergo supplier qualification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Is it acceptable to mix components from two different lots into an assembly? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M CE / FCC Compliance for components + final product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Determining Critical Components for conformity with IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 21
R Components in parallel to creepage\clearance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
J To Calibrate or not to calibrate electronics rack components Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T Control of Nonconforming Product Output (Components Parts) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H CE Marking on Multiple-Components Medical Products EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Q CE Mark Requirements for Components - Solenoid Actuator Type Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Total Variation in Data - Overall Importance of the Principal Components Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1