Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Military ISO 9001 Purchasing Quality Requirements

G

gmowry

I cannot seem to find out if the Military requires ISO certification before doing business with them, I know there are other requirements such as NADCAP, but I am not sure about the ISO requirements. Thanks in advance.

D

ddunn

Re: Military and ISO

While the U.S. military does not require ISO certification it does require certain quality principles specified in the RFQ/RFP. ISO certification is accepted as evidence of adherence to those principles. A company with ISO certification will generally win a contract over a company that is not certified.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator

I cannot seem to find out if the Military requires ISO certification before doing business with them, I know there are other requirements such as NADCAP, but I am not sure about the ISO requirements. Thanks in advance.
Certification no. Compliance yes. But make sure that FAR 52.246-11 is not part of the contract requirements. If it is, they will insert the Quality Requirement which could be MIL-I-45208 (no longer used but does appear in contracts), MIL-Q-9858 (same results as MIL-I-45208), or ISO9001, I have even seen ISO9002 called out.

Randy

Super Moderator

Each contract will have specific requirements and you need to look at them. Also in order to do business you need to be a registered supplier of goods or services and you start at this link

http://www.ccr.gov

Additionally you better be able to speak the language of the branch you're interested in and also back up your "bona-fides". Contrary to popular belief the US Military (civilians included) is not made up of un-educated, inexperienced Neanderthals. They can stop the unknowing and unwary from sucking eggs real fast.

N

Neil V.

Military AS9100 Quality System Requirements

Speculative maybe, but how about tier 1 or tier 2 Military requirements for AS9100 (non-aero related)? Afterall, rev. C does include 'defense' in its title.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Military AS9100 Quality System Requirements

Speculative maybe, but how about tier 1 or tier 2 Military requirements for AS9100 (non-aero related)? Afterall, rev. C does include 'defense' in its title.
The scope of AS9100 was indeed expanded, one of the reasons being to facilitate it's acceptance in the Defense sector. Without a question, 9100 and 9110 will become more present as a QMS expectation in that supply chain, NATO included. One of the IAQG sector initiatives is to expand the relationship in the Defense sector.

There is no question that cost overruns and project delays are quite prevalent in this industry:GAO report on the need to improve weapon systems quality

Top Bottom