Mind Mapping in the Quality Arena

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

WALLACE

Quite Involved in Discussions
Mindmapping

Claes Gefvenberg said:
Mindmapping? Absolutley, all the time.... It's a great tool. Let's hear about your experiences?

/Claes
Hi Claes.
I have personaly found the use of Mind mapping software to be the most cost efficient form Information creation, development, sharing and knowledge management to date.
My experience with the software use of Mind mapping tools and techniques to date, is quite extensive.
I can tell you that I have recently mapped out an organizational quality system using an excellent mind mapping software package from Norway, using it as an interface manager. My clients were just blown away.
They later informed me that they can now perform with ease most of their documented QMS audits for the most part in a paperless format.
I have found software Mind mapping to be an invaluable tool for continuous improvement, using the techniques and tools for encouraging and motivating large or small groups to brainstorm and perform cause and effect analyses.
The short learning curve of Most of the software packages out there are short enough for the casual PC user to get a handle on, after that it becomes rather infectious and begins to spread throughout an organization like wild fire when this form of communication is accepted and standardized. the results are just phenomenal Claes, don't you agree?

"Knowldedge as part of the information economy, is of no profitable use, unless it is developed, clearly understood and re-invested as an improvement tool"
Wallace

WALLACE

Rosie,
Perform a google search for Mind mapping and you'll have more than enough information on this fascinating subject.

Mind mapping was developed by Tony Buzan of the UK during the late 60's. It was initially developed as a non linear form of hand drawn note taking, using many colours and images to cause memory retention. It has in the last 10 years been further developed by many software organizations as a powerfull yet user friendly personal and business tool for creating, managing, saving and distributing information primarily in a mapped format. the mapped information can be easily exported to Word, PowerPoint as well as saving as an image file for presentation purposes.

Let me say that, you don't need to familiarize yourself with the hand drawn from of Mind mapping at all, but feel free to access all the information you need or want on the hand drawn formats.

Regarding its use within the quality, safety and environmental areas, I would say that creating pertinent information for infusion into a work place and workforce culture is important enough for Mind mapping as an effective and efficient business and personal tool, to be at the very least investigated for possible use.

I have introduced my employer Ford at my location to the power of Mind mapping as an effective communications tool and they are at this time investigating two (2) excellent Mind mapping software packages.
I have used both Visual Mind www.visual-mind.com and Mind genius www.mindgenius.com for @two (2) years now and I can say that the playing field is level regarding the capabilities of the two software packages. I'm using the beta version of the re-designed Visual Mind software and. I can say that it tends to be leaning positively towards becoming a more capable software package than Mind genius.
You can generally download any Mind mapping software package with all the full time functions for the proverbial 30 day trial period. I would say a week is about enough time to decide the software best suited to your personal and business needs.
If you need any more information re-this subject, I would be pleased to help you all I can.
Wallace.

Attachments

T

Teknow

Hi Wallace,

I think the "map" may have lost something in being imported into Word - apart from 1 small graphic at the top, it's basically come out as a text list of points.

I must admit I've never really thought of using mind maps as anything other than a study aid, so would be interested to see an example of how you are using them. :bigwave:

I guess the right side of my brain isn't focused! I can't see anything beyond a flow diagram package.

WALLACE

Visual mapping

I recently used Mind mapping software to compile an operator parts and tools list associated with a task.
To my surprise, the mapped information format was a big hit with the guys on the production floor.
I found the Production guys, supervisors, material handling and area managers were all so impressed with the simplicity and clarity of the mapped information that, they have all in turn approached me for further practical uses of the software for communicating information in a clear and understandable format.
The standard QPS (Quality Process Sheet) is being overlooked and the mapped information is being accessed more often for info clarity.
I tend to place all relevant info on a single A4 size sheet in either landscape or portrair formats, depeding on the layout of the info.
I have though had 1x.5 metre sized maps made up for presentation purposes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Does anyone have any experience or feedback using mind mapping software? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
sathis Mind Mapping Web Site Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
Marc Brainstorming And Mind Mapping in Life Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
Jim Wynne FreeMind: Open Source Mind Mapping Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
M Risk/Benefit vs. benefit-risk - Revising an SOP covering Risk Management with the MDR in mind EU Medical Device Regulations 10
G Training Employees about Quality - Philosophy / Mind set Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Marc Mind-bending optical illusion paintings Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Marc It's Sunday - 6 April 2014 - What's on your mind today? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
J Just to mess with your mind... What's a "Ton of Money" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
R ISO 13485 Mind Map attached - Please review and comment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Wes Bucey Update: State of mind during the job hunt (Good habits vs. bad habits) Career and Occupation Discussions 12
S A little weight on my mind for New Year's - Measurement Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Q Conference Call with Supplier - What points/issues should we keep in mind? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
E FIRST Kiss - I's your first kiss and several questions might come to mind Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
R Seeking ISO 17025 tools to help keep my employees in the mind frame of ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Process Maps - I made my mind up - We do not need maps Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 10
RoxaneB Visual illusions and mind bogglers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
Douglas E. Purdy Human Resources Mind Map ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Claes Gefvenberg Improvement tools - Best practices - Including Mind Maps vs. Fishbone Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 22
S How can 5S (Five S) purify our mind? Concentration and calm in our mind and mood? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
J Here is my definition of Defect Mapping Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
Z 21 CFR and Annex 11 mapping document Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
qualprod Cycle times, value stream mapping, inventory, average values? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
R Process Mapping for a BPMS (Business Process Management System) vs ISO Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
M PDCA cycle - Process mapping - Environmental ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R Process Mapping a Civil Infrastructure Construction company Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
Q Guidance Needed For Mapping Career Path Career and Occupation Discussions 5
L Mapping the loan lending bank process Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
R PPM, Pictorial Process Mapping, Templates Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Value Stream Mapping Calculations Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
S ISO14001:2015 Factory Process Mapping ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
O Process Mapping prior to Validation and Software to use to Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
J Agenda of Value Stream Mapping workshop required Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
R VSM - Value Stream Mapping (catheter manufacturing unit) Customer Complaints 10
A Mapping of IEC 62304 artefacts (SRS, SAD, etc) to the 820.30 phases IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
M Mapping Processes to 7.3 Development and Design - AS9100 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
C Dose Mapping - How to relate back to Routine Monitoring Position ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Value Stream Mapping for a Product Family Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
A Assessing/Mapping Employee Attitude during Competency Mapping (Assessment) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
M Value Stream Mapping or Deployment Chart in Services Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
T ISO 20000 Mapping to ITIL and COBIT IT (Information Technology) Service Management 4
BradM What is the minimum size chamber for mapping? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Macro Process Mapping (pre-GAP analysis) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Value Stream Mapping Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I Stability Chamber Temperature Mapping General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
V Any examples of Value Stream Mapping (VSM) for Product Development Processes (PDP) ? Six Sigma 3
C Process Mapping Electronic Document Control Software Recommendations Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P Value Stream Mapping - Trying to do Value Stream Mapping of our Products Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3