Minimal R&D Quality Requirements

Mandy

Involved In Discussions
Although I have years of quality experience, I've always working in companies that manufacture products, and that have a solid quality management system.

I've recently started a new job where I need to build up the quality system in a very small company which is focused on research and development for a LDT product.

Since I've never really worked with R&D I'm unsure how much quality to "force upon them". For example, sometimes they wear lab coats, but sometimes not. Where can I find out the minimum quality requirements for R&D.

Thanks very much.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

bluepagen

Although I have years of quality experience, I've always working in companies that manufacture products, and that have a solid quality management system.

I've recently started a new job where I need to build up the quality system in a very small company which is focused on research and development for a LDT product.

Since I've never really worked with R&D I'm unsure how much quality to "force upon them". For example, sometimes they wear lab coats, but sometimes not. Where can I find out the minimum quality requirements for R&D.

Thanks very much.
Minimal requirements? Start with the required quality procedures for the standard or spec you are trying to follow. Do they have department procedures? Is there a chain of custody that is required? Do they confirm an operation is completed prior to handing it off to the next step? Some sort of method to control the work steps? Do they have work instructions? Is it a lab situation or are the lab coats for safety precautions?
It might be beneficial to go to the attachments and start looking there for examples of procedures or examples forms.
Good luck.

Ronen E

Problem Solver

Thanks very much.
Hi,

Would it be accurate to say that at some point in the future the designs emerging from this company are likely to be implemented on the European and/or the USA market? If so, then I'd recommend applying Design Controls from this stage onward - either by ISO 13485 (s. 7.3) or by 21 CFR 820.30. Some of the more general provisions of either of those systems (e.g. Document Control, Internal Auditing etc.) are likely to be beneficial as well.

Regarding the lab coats example, I wouldn't refer to it as "QA". It's either a H&S issue or a GMP issue. If there's a solid reason behind it, then it should be standardized and enforced. Not everything has to be "managed" on small start-up companies, though.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D IEC 60601-1-11 - Home Care Device Minimal requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Ball Bearing V-Blocks to ensure Lobing and Roundness are Minimal Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Countries that require minimal Medical Device Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
Q Very Minimal Processes in ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T New Part Inspection with Minimal Measurement Devices Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
N Minimal Dimensions on Blueprints and a 3D Model Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
A Auditing stable organisation with long certification history, minimal documentation. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Supplier Audit - Looking for a quality audit checklist General Auditing Discussions 3
A How would a candidate for Quality Systems Manager role answer questions in a med device manufacturing org ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
F EU MDR Quality Plan template CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Quality Manager and Production Manager Advice Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
T What is a Quality Management System? Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
FRA 2 FDA Product NCRs- Quality Review Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
W Posting Non-Quality System instructions on the Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
CaliperJim Cost of Quality calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
Cats Clause Certified Quality Systems Ltd (CQS) accredited by International Accreditation Board Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
T Quality toolbox decision tree Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Sidney Vianna A young Steve Jobs take on Quality, Marketing & Business Processes. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
hogheavenfarm Free Quality Professional Books Buy, Sell or Trade - NO Commercial Advertisements 11
T Stellantis supplier quality manual Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
lyobovnik Work From Home Exception for Quality Managers? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
T Accreditations as part of 9001 - Quality checks on your company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Product Quality Review API-GMP Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Who is performing quality control? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C I need your help to find the action plan for these quality objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
R Quality policy review document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T ISO quality system software such as MQ1 (which is what we currently use) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Quality 'Engagement' Effort Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Q Quality role Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
bobdoering Is your quality department having a "No Chili" day? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
E Compressed air quality in ME equipment (used in OR) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
A API Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Quality Policy Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L Language of quality system in case of FDA inspection US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q Quality Awareness 7.3 ISO 9001-2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Quality Engineering Long Term Career Advice Career and Occupation Discussions 6
M Quality Management-ISO 9001:2015 General Auditing Discussions 1
M UDI barcode quality EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Quality planning sign-off in AIAG APQP Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Creating a Quality culture! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M Root cause for lack of quality objectives for HSE Dept. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
V Quality Manager Reporting US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Q BMW Supplied Parts Quality Management -> Is there any new supplier quality manual? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
J COST OF POOR QUALITY IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
ernieto Outsourced Processes Quality Agreements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J ISO 17020 Quality Manual Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M Resume Review Request - Quality Assurance Career and Occupation Discussions 11
E History of quality Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
Q How to classify several systems for Quality Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
PQ Systems Preparing for Your Quality Meeting Using SQCpack Software 0