Minimum number of parts to do an attribute gage R&R

J

Jparfer

Hi everyone!

Im going to do an attribute gage R&R but i have 2 questions:

1- How many parts has to be included in the studio as a minimun?
2- Must be the bad parts close to be good parts?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Curtis317

If you are in the Auto industry and must follow the MSA, that will tell you. I think it is 50 pcs. However I have done Attribute GRR with 20 pcs. How close they are to good parts depends on the standard production parts variation . But I would make them as close to good as possible but still be bad. That way you are sure your gage can do what is intended. Which is to not allow bad parts to go to the customer.

J

Jparfer

If you are in the Auto industry and must follow the MSA, that will tell you. I think it is 50 pcs. However I have done Attribute GRR with 20 pcs. How close they are to good parts depends on the standard production parts variation . But I would make them as close to good as possible but still be bad. That way you are sure your gage can do what is intended. Which is to not allow bad parts to go to the customer.
In the MSA they do an example with 50 parts, but they dont said that u have to do with 50...

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
If you are only tryign to 'check the box' for your Customer, then you probably can do any size you want as long as they accept your rationaliztion. Such as the parts areproduced in small volumes and defects are rare. I doubt that you will get away with "it takes too long, or 'it's too hard' :D

If you actually are trying to learn something about your system, I recommend 50 or more parts. I also recommend that the distribution of marginal and bad parts is equal to the current rate. to truly test your system. See my paper on MSA for details.

remember that it is necessary to have larger sample sizes with categorical data than with continuous data and teh lower the defect rate, the larger the sample size should be.

J

Jparfer

If you are only tryign to 'check the box' for your Customer, then you probably can do any size you want as long as they accept your rationaliztion. Such as the parts areproduced in small volumes and defects are rare. I doubt that you will get away with "it takes too long, or 'it's too hard' :D

If you actually are trying to learn something about your system, I recommend 50 or more parts. I also recommend that the distribution of marginal and bad parts is equal to the current rate. to truly test your system. See my paper on MSA for details.

remember that it is necessary to have larger sample sizes with categorical data than with continuous data and teh lower the defect rate, the larger the sample size should be.

I have read your Paper, but i cant read where is the minimum parts for an attribute R&R...

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi everyone!

Im going to do an attribute gage R&R but i have 2 questions:

1- How many parts has to be included in the studio as a minimun?
2- Must be the bad parts close to be good parts?

Thanks
Depends on your acceptance criteria. If you need 95% confidence with 90% reliability for concordance, then 30 parts minimum if you observe 100% concordance (60 for 95/95 and 300 for 95/99).

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have read your Paper, but i cant read where is the minimum parts for an attribute R&R...
That is because the minimum number of parts depends on the situation.

Statistical Steven is correct. there is NO universal minimum size.
As described in my paper, it all depends on what you are trying to do or understand and what defect rate you have and the distribution of that defect rate. There are statistical considerations as Steven pointed and non-statistical considerations.

An additional statistical consideration, as Steven alluded to, is the amount of disagreement you get. This is one of those iterative situations, you need the data to tell you how much data you will eventually need...the whole idea is to understand the limitations of your system, then improve it and test again. If you get 100% agreement there is no problem with a reasonably large enough sample (say 50 parts)

A non-statistical consideration is how many marginal units are in normal production and how much time the inspector or machine has to perform the inspection. If the defect rate is fairly low, there a decent proportion of parts that are marginal (both passign and failing) and the tiem to inspect is rather short a much larger sample size is necessarry to test teh actual systme capability. It's easier to determine pass/fail on marginal units when one isn't under time pressures so you get a better score, but in real life - where the capability of the system actually matters - it's very difficult to get it right. I have encountered this situation many times and have ended up testing 400-1000 parts on the line to mimic actual conditions.

in order to give you good advice we need to understand:
  • what are trying to accomplish? (e.g. 'Check the box' to submit a study to your customer or do you want to learn about your system and improve it if needed)
  • What is your measurement system?
  • What type(s) of defect(s) are you trying to detect?
  • what is the defect rate?
  • What is the distribution of marginal units?
  • What is the inspection environment? (e.g. quiet with plenty of time or inline high speed high volume?)

If you are really are just trying to 'check the box' (and many people are) then my answer would be to do 50 parts, 25 bad and 25 good. but others will have different answers because there is no single minimum size.

J

Jparfer

That is because the minimum number of parts depends on the situation.

Statistical Steven is correct. there is NO universal minimum size.
As described in my paper, it all depends on what you are trying to do or understand and what defect rate you have and the distribution of that defect rate. There are statistical considerations as Steven pointed and non-statistical considerations.

An additional statistical consideration, as Steven alluded to, is the amount of disagreement you get. This is one of those iterative situations, you need the data to tell you how much data you will eventually need...the whole idea is to understand the limitations of your system, then improve it and test again. If you get 100% agreement there is no problem with a reasonably large enough sample (say 50 parts)

A non-statistical consideration is how many marginal units are in normal production and how much time the inspector or machine has to perform the inspection. If the defect rate is fairly low, there a decent proportion of parts that are marginal (both passign and failing) and the tiem to inspect is rather short a much larger sample size is necessarry to test teh actual systme capability. It's easier to determine pass/fail on marginal units when one isn't under time pressures so you get a better score, but in real life - where the capability of the system actually matters - it's very difficult to get it right. I have encountered this situation many times and have ended up testing 400-1000 parts on the line to mimic actual conditions.

in order to give you good advice we need to understand:
  • what are trying to accomplish? (e.g. 'Check the box' to submit a study to your customer or do you want to learn about your system and improve it if needed)
  • What is your measurement system?
  • What type(s) of defect(s) are you trying to detect?
  • what is the defect rate?
  • What is the distribution of marginal units?
  • What is the inspection environment? (e.g. quiet with plenty of time or inline high speed high volume?)

If you are really are just trying to 'check the box' (and many people are) then my answer would be to do 50 parts, 25 bad and 25 good. but others will have different answers because there is no single minimum size.
I really want to check if a robot is doing right decissions (pass/fail). So i pretend to do a GR&R, with 30 parts (15 pass parts and 15 not pass [someone close to pass]).

I dont understand why 50 will be the minimum to do it.

The distribution i mean is a binomial one, because is a pass/fail decission.

It?s a quite enviroment.

Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Minimum Number of Parts for Attribute (Go / NoGo) Data Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Minimum number of samples to inspected for Pp & Ppk study ? Any statistical proof?? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A The Minimum Number of Internal Auditors Required in an Organization Internal Auditing 37
C Minimum number of procedures to satisfy ISO9001 requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
D What is the minimum number of values to develop individual chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
K What is the Minimum number of internal auditors required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Marc Internal Audit Mandays - Is there a set, or minimum, number? Internal Auditing 4
A Minimum Number of Documented Procedures for TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
D Minimum number of Subgroups to assess Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
P ISO 9001:2000 - Required Procedures or minimum required number? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
M Minimum sample size - Guidance and statistical rationale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Q Capability study with a minimum spec Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
L Significant Production Run - How 300 was determined to be the minimum quantity APQP and PPAP 2
Marco Bernardi MMC & LMC modifiers and CMM measuring techinques like diameter least squares and circularity or minimum/maximim diameter. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
shimonv Minimum 60601 requirements for a clinical trial IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
J What is the minimum standard for automotive component traceability? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Applicability of IEC 60950-1 Table K2 - Minimum clearances between circuits Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Characterization Testing - NO acceptance criteria, no minimum performance requirement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K Is minimum repair or replace guarantee period for medical devices in EU the same as consumer guarantee law of 2 years? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Designing the experiment with minimum run Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Designing the experiment with minimum run Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
JoshuaFroud Change Control - Minimum Requirements and Unhappy Staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
J IATF Minimum Automotive Quality Management System Requirements for Sub-Tier Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
N ETO Sterilisation Validation - EO Residual Minimum Sample Requirement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F Regulatory Compliant Quality Management System - Bare Minimum EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S What is the minimum pressure differential required for ISO Class 8 Clean Room? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
somashekar ISO 13485 plus ISO 9001:2015 will now attract a minimum 2 day upgrade audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
J Minimum staff per 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D What is the minimum Sample Size for Weibull Analysis Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 12
S Is there a minimum industry standard for PpK ? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
K What are the minimum requirements for Process Validation (Software)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Battery Powered Beauty Products minimum Legal Certifications Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
B What is the minimum sample required for Performance Evaluation for IVD ? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Minimum requirements/experience/qualifications to be head of quality Career and Occupation Discussions 6
R Minimum Essential Receiving Inspection (M.E.R.I.) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S What is the minimum samples required for Customer Survey? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
I Minimum and Maximum Validation Batch Size Requirements Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
S Minimum documents required by AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N Minimum Design factor for CE Marking for machinery CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J Minitab Sample Size Calculation: 1 Sample t vs Minimum Sample Size for Means Using Minitab Software 3
G Why for a Shewhart chart the minimum feasible value for APL is 2401 units? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A Minimum Testing Requirements for a Clear Protective Equipment Barrier (Class II 510K) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
V Critical Characteristics - Capability for a Minimum Specification APQP and PPAP 6
BradM What is the minimum size chamber for mapping? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Minimum Organization Structure to support TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Minimum content required in a Quality Manual as per ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 6
A ISO 13485 Supplier Monitoring Minimum Requirements Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
T New Packaging Line Performance Qualification (PQ) - Minimum Test Times ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
F How to calculate the minimum Value of Mass needed for Scales Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6