Minitab ANOVA Gage R&R Error (vs. EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation)

I

Ingo1966

MiniTab includes the insignificant interaction Term Operator x Part in the final calculation of %GAGE R&R.

Attached I have an EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation for the same data's which I put into Minitab.

If you stay with alpha 0.25 to remove the insignificant interaction term Operator x Part the Results differ from Minitab. (even though MiniTAb Session Window stated to remove the Interaction Term also at alpha 0.25)

If you manipulate alpha to 1 in my Excel Sheet to INCLUDE the insignificant OPxPart Interaction --> everything is fine.

But this is wrong ! :mad: Ok it differs not much but unfortunately these Values are used to callibrate the Outcome from other Statistical Software.

And therefore some People who trust MiniTab would say my EXCEL Calculation is somehow wrong.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
MiniTab includes the insignificant interaction Term Operator x Part in the final calculation of %GAGE R&R.

Attached I have an EXCEL ANOVA GRR Calculation for the same data's which I put into Minitab.

If you stay with alpha 0.25 to remove the insignificant interaction term Operator x Part the Results differ from Minitab. (even though MiniTAb Session Window stated to remove the Interaction Term also at alpha 0.25)

If you manipulate alpha to 1 in my Excel Sheet to INCLUDE the insignificant OPxPart Interaction --> everything is fine.

But this is wrong ! :mad: Ok it differs not much but unfortunately these Values are used to callibrate the Outcome from other Statistical Software.

And therefore some People who trust MiniTab would say my EXCEL Calculation is somehow wrong.
Comments anyone?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

A

Allattar

It looks like you are using the EV calculation from the full model with the interaction. Even though you remove the interaction.

Note if you remove the interaction, the Sum of squares for the interaction must go to the error term, must go into equipment variation.

You are dividing g22 by h22. G22 is the EV found with the interaction included.

As far as I can see including or removing the interaction in your excewl sheet does not change the SS in the EV.

I

Ingo1966

Thankyou for your comments, you are right.

My Excel sheet is not very clearly you will find the modified SS for EV including the ERROR TERM in Cell C22

My Concern is MiniTab's Calculation why it comes up with different results

A

Allattar

I admit it is difficult following what the excel sheet is doing, but I think I may have traced it back.

The reproducibility estimates in your worksheet are different to Minitab, and hence the different figures.

Your calculation is MS(operator)/ (Parts*Replicates)

Minitab calculation

MS(Operator) - MS(repeatability) / (Parts * Replicates)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Gage R&R or Anova two way? Using Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
T Variables Gage R&R - Minitab v14 - F statistic Calculation - ANOVA - Methods validity Using Minitab Software 2
F Minitab 19 Anova or X bar # of distinct catagories Using Minitab Software 2
E Input to ANOVA 1-WAY - How can I perform this analysis in minitab? Using Minitab Software 2
J Which Anova dropdown to use for R&R in Minitab? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
F How to make an ANOVA of a design with repeats (not replicates) in Minitab? Using Minitab Software 18
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
E ANOVA for Taguchi method - Four factors and three levels and nine runs (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 8
T Minitab Two-way Anova example (EXH_AOV.MTB) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
P Taguchi Anova Error with Minitab Using Minitab Software 9
F Fully nested ANOVA: A missing p-values (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 11
M Understanding of Regression and ANOVA in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Minitab Error - * ERROR * Unbalanced Design - Unbalanced Anova Using Minitab Software 9
V Sample Range for a valid GRR using ANOVA in Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Multi-factor Anova with Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
A Minitab ANOVA Error Message - *ERROR* No data in column. Using Minitab Software 3
P Multi-factor Anova with Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
B Minitab %Tolerance ANOVA is Different than my calculations Using Minitab Software 4
L Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) Quadratic Model - Minitab - 2 Factors Using Minitab Software 40
Y Perform 2 ways ANOVA in minitab with non normal data involved Using Minitab Software 5
B How does Minitab handle outliers in ANOVA? Using Minitab Software 3
R Select the 1 Supplier based on the Parts Durability from 6 Supplier Samples using Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
A One-factor and multiple-response Minitab optimization Using Minitab Software 0
O Problem in Minitab - ERROR * Factor Voltage is highly correlated with other terms Using Minitab Software 10
P Pooled Standard Error - Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Asterisk in DOE minitab software Using Minitab Software 23
B Does anybody know how to get older versions of Minitab to work in Windows 10? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
M Minitab Capability of the Population (no sampling) Using Minitab Software 11
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 2
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M Minitab assistant: 1-Sample % Defective Test Using Minitab Software 1
0 Interesting Discussion Analysis of half normal distribution in minitab Using Minitab Software 11
G Batch printing reports in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
V Minitab GRR crossed Xbar and r method macro needed Using Minitab Software 9
I Number of decimals in equation calculated by MiniTab Using Minitab Software 0
A Acceptance p-value for linearity and bias analysis in minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
M How to change the display of optimization plot in Minitab 18 Using Minitab Software 2
M Minitab tool to evaluate PM (Preventive Maintenance) process Using Minitab Software 6
N Tolerance Interval plots in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
J Including Repeats in DoE using Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
A Minitab 18: How to automate GRR Summary Table save Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
N What subcommands can be used with "Stop" in Minitab 18? Using Minitab Software 8
S Minitab - Factor Analysis: Label on second series of data for Biplot Using Minitab Software 4
J DoE - Number of runs in Plackett-Burman (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 2
D Asterix when pasting a column of values from Excel into Minitab (V17) Using Minitab Software 5
A Generating samples from a population in Minitab Using Minitab Software 0
Ron Rompen Random data generation in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
I DOE: High variance and small effects in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
B Informational Expanded Gage R&R Analysis using Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18