Minitab Data Analysis - Understanding if a Process is in Control or Not

P

prot0912

Hi,
I've just read a few topics here and get a bit of understanding of a subject. However, I still struggling with few issues. So could you please justify if I'm right or wrong.

Introduction :

I have a data related to the printing process and my main tasks are:
-understand if a process in control or not
-if it's in control, then estimate if process capable or not
-data measured continuously on the 5 min time interval, during 2 shifts, between different printing stations (overall number of stations - 9, but during different shifts, only a few are in use) and teams. I need to find out if there are any problems related to specific station or team.

You could find data sample for one particular team in the attachment.

Questions:
To understand if a process in control or not, I used Control Charts. According to it, I chose Xbar-S chart, because my data are split into 2 groups - which is shifts(runs), so it means that I need to analyse it separately. In addition, my data are measuring 2 parameters(alignment) Rx and Ry for each particular station in use, so my subgroup size more than 8.

So question is, did I choose right control chart to get an overall understanding if a process in control or not?
Should I check control charts Xbar-S for each parameter Rx and Ry for each of the stations separately?
Since my data measured continuously in time and I have 137 samples could I use bigger subgroup size for example 12 ( large subgroup size - mean lower(better) control limits right?) or I need to use something totally different?

Is it right way to use capability analysis with normal distribution and subgroup size 1, for my case, for each parameter (Rx and Ry) and each station - to understand if process capable and meet specifications limits from client (+/-0,175 both for Rx and Ry), or there is better way to combine all of it within one graphic?

What is the best way, based on, data to compare performance across shifts/teams/stations/ parameters Rx and Ry?

My apologies for such amount of questions, but it seems to me that there are plenty of different ways to analyse this data, so I kind of struggle to find out wich one is straightforward and the proper(best) one.

Thank you.
View attachment Data011.xls

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Starting with the question pertaining to whether your processes are in control, I used an individuals control chart since you sampled at 5 minute intervals. I also kept the process streams separate. Overall, your processes are quite stable. You will have to determine whether they are on target as you did not state the target values.

Attachments

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Next, your question regarding capability:
  • Team 7 averages around 0.3 while Team 9 averages around 0
  • Team 7's x dimension varies less than the y dimension. Team 9's exhibits the same pattern, but the difference is much less.
  • Team 7's x dimension's variation would marginally fall within the tolerance range. All of the other dimensions vary more than the tolerance range.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Minitab - Factor Analysis: Label on second series of data for Biplot Using Minitab Software 4
M PCDMIS-Excel Data to Minitab for Analysis Using Minitab Software 2
H Minitab DOE Analysis of Data and Transforming Using Minitab Software 4
Hami812 Normality of Data Question - Minitab Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
G Confidence Intervals and f-tests - Data Analysis in Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
B Gather and Analyze Production Scrap - MiniTab 16 vs. Excel Data Analysis Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
A Capability Analysis - Dealing with non-normal data in Minitab Using Minitab Software 8
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 2
Ron Rompen Random data generation in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L MINITAB 17 - Changing Data Using Minitab Software 3
A Taguchi Minitab - Continuous Data - What should I choose as response variable? Using Minitab Software 3
C Regression with Life Data, Incorrect Minitab Documentation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
Z Adding 1% error to data in a column in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
R [Minitab] DOE Output vs. Actual Data Using Minitab Software 6
J Non-Normal Distribution Data - Tolerance Intervals and Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
O Importing Data via Script - Assign Column as Text (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 3
M Can I get a Cpk out of my data? Minitab help Using Minitab Software 1
D The correct way to analyze Skewed Data using Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
D Baselining Process Performance in Minitab with 6 Months of Data Benchmarking 3
M Writing a Minitab macro that can manipulate data in all columns Using Minitab Software 3
E How to run an OLS or Logistic Regression when I have Panel Data in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M Normalising Data for Gauge R&R Studies with Minitab Using Minitab Software 14
B How to calculate Capability of Nonnormal Data Distribution in Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
W Minitab I-MR Graph - How to delete a single data point from I-MR chart Using Minitab Software 2
Z Using Sum Values for Category Data in Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
T Trouble Inputting a lot of Data into Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
B "2 Variances" test for Paired Data in Minitab - How to proceed Using Minitab Software 9
T How to Show "Date/time" Data Graphically in Minitab Please? Using Minitab Software 2
R Minitab Fractional Factorial Data Entry Help Using Minitab Software 5
A Minitab ANOVA Error Message - *ERROR* No data in column. Using Minitab Software 3
S Pulling Data In Real Time From Excel using Minitab 15 Using Minitab Software 2
M Minitab 16 doesn't like perfect data for Cpk & Normality? Using Minitab Software 5
V Minitab and Excel Giving Different Cpk Values for the same Data Using Minitab Software 12
Hami812 Attribute Data Gage R&R - Managing Data Sets - Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
E Intreprating a Data Set with Minitab - Help wanted Using Minitab Software 2
R Define Data from Taguchi to Response Surface Methodology in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
T What's the best way to analyse my data with Minitab? Using Minitab Software 3
M Non-Normal Data & Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
K DOE - Variable and Discrete Data - Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
S Accessing data from separate worksheets in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
N Test for Equal Variances - Two factor data set - Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
M Controlling Data Labels on Graphs - Number of Decimal Places Reported - Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
F Error in Minitab (no statistics can be calculated with these data) Using Minitab Software 10
M Macro to connect to Access Database to get to data - Minitab Macro help Using Minitab Software 1
J Gage R&R on Attribute Data Using Minitab 14 - Data from Automated Test Systems Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
P Layering Graphs in Minitab - Charts with two separate types of data on them Using Minitab Software 9
Y Perform 2 ways ANOVA in minitab with non normal data involved Using Minitab Software 5
B New to Minitab - What Data to use for SPC? Using Minitab Software 3
J Response Surface Design - Repeats - Getting data into Minitab 15 Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M Exporting Minitab Data to Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5