Minor diameter of threaded ring gage

I received a new gage in and noticed the cert said it had to be adjusted into tolerance. While looking into that I found that they state the PD was increased by 0.00090" while the Minor was decreased by 0.00090" This calibration house previously would not list the tolerance for the minor on the cert and began doing so upon our request as a note saying: "MINOR DIAMETER reported as is. ASME B1.2 tolerance is .0007 in." (tolerance is for this gage, a 1-8 UNC 2A threaded ring gage).

My question is: Is the minor size tolerance critical or required to be accurate? This lab is listed as A2LA accredited and we require that they conform to ISO 17025. These gages are being used on industrial grade fasteners.

<edit> Just found a thread that answered my question. Apparently on nogo ring gages the minor is not testing anything so is not critical.

The thread is listed below but I can not post links yet, it could be a Hormel meat product. :)

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

DietCokeofEvil

Trusted Information Resource
OK I have some problems with this.

1. I have been calibrating thread rings for 20+ years and I can count the number of times a P.D. is increased and a minor decreases at the same time on one hand.

2. How can they tell the gage increased 0.0009 on the P.D.? If they are using a setting plug (and if they don't have a 1-8 2A set plug, shame on them.), you can't measure growth or shrinkage at all. Using a setting plug is strictly feel- and is non-quantifiable.

3. The NoGo minor is non-functioning, for the most part. Like any ring, if it gets adjusted too many times, the minor will collapse which could give you a false reject. That being said, I wouldn't be alarmed at 0.0009 undersized on a NoGo, but you may want to run it past engineering just to be sure.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Measuring Minor Diameter of external thread General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L Internal threads - Maximum / Minor accept/reject diameter inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Q Maximum minor thread diameter of UNF internal threads Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L How to Measure the Minor Diameter of Internal Threads General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 41
M IEC 62304 Software changes - Minor labeling changes on the GUI IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
M Major vs. Minor for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 10
C Fact or fiction - Repeat minor becomes a major IATF non-conformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q ISO 14001:2015 accredited but import most product - CB Raised minor NC on Life Cycle Perspective ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
G Timing allowed by IATF to close a Remote Site Minor Nonconformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J EU ISO 13485:2016 Recertification Audit - Effect of 10 Minor Nonconformances EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Y Informational Change control process - Major vs Minor change - Active class III medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
D Minor non-conformance for not receiving a CofC from a heat treater Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
A Where are the rules for when a repeat minor nonconformance becomes a major? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
supadrai Informational Japan Minor Change Notification Application Form - Found it? Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
P Major Finding Elevation - Do I elevate this minor finding to a major one? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
W Minor Audit Nonconformance Against Determining the scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
P Received a minor for not having good measureables/goals. Need help with KPIs. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 52
P Minor Non-Conformance - Maintenance Records Not Fully Completed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
M "Minor" Address Change Implications on Product Labeling Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Sidney Vianna Top 10 Major and minor NC's during IATF 16949:2016 Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
qualprod Minor non-conformance for not controlling local regulation laws? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
K Notified Body - Minor Nonconformances - They have withheld all certificates General Auditing Discussions 3
T Non-addressed Minor Finding elevated to Major Finding Internal Auditing 37
B IATF 16949: Definition Major/Minor Non-conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Defining Major vs. Minor Changes to Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Classification of Major & Minor Defects AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 10
Hershal Minor quake in So Cal - 17 March 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
M Is a New Revision Required for Minor Document Changes? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
L Definitions for Minor & Major Nonconformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S What constitutes Major and Minor changes in Software Software Quality Assurance 7
F Response to ISO 13485 Audit Minor Nonconformances ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E Short Case Studies - Major/Minor Nonconformance, Observation or OK? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Root Cause for Minor Non-conformance regarding Supplier Delegation Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
R Audit Plan MNC (Minor Nonconformance) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Is a Corrective Action required for each major/minor Tool Repair? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
S Minor Nonconformity for Lack of Job Descriptions in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 62
M Minor/ Major Change - Japan - When you have to notify the PMDA of a change? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
J Major NC downgraded to Minor by Registrar during Re-Visit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
M Definition Major vs. Minor Non Conformance Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
S Minor NC for Not Having Management Review When Scheduled Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
S MBA Finance major & HR minor job opportunity in TQM field Career and Occupation Discussions 1
B Root Cause Analysis for Minor Non-Conformities identified in an Audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
S Auditor says a Minor Nonconformance will become a Major Nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 8
A Supplier Evaluation SOP - How do I Define Major and Minor Suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
T External Communications - Should this have been raised as a Minor Non-Conformance? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
J Minor NC - No MSA study on Tensile Tester IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N Minor Concern - Medical Device Software and Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
P Trying to figure Minor ? on Female Rolled Threads Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
J Minor Corrections to Documented Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M ASME B1.13M Standard - Specification of a Plug Gage of Minor Diamateter Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3