Minor Nonconformity for Lack of Job Descriptions in ISO 9001

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
In dealing with a small company where people wear many hats and the hats can change depending on the skill set changes, I developed the procedures with generic titles, and then a matrix that cross-referenced the current titles responsible for the activities. Then, if deemed necessary, define the skill set needed for the generic titles so they don't need re-rewritten all the time when personnel change.

All audit questions go back to a very simple question: "How do you know?" How do you know the people doing the job know their job? How do you know they are qualified? E.g.: did the owner just drop his son in there to give him something to do, or did he actually have the training for the job? For those in a position missing some qualifications, that should be reflect in the training matrix.

Big Jim

Admin
OK...OK...no job descriptions!
I understand ur point....but what if job descriptions are mandatory being a legal requirement (e.g. imposed by Labour Code)?
Should I ask for them??
Or, better, should I ignore the fact they do not exist, if organization shows me another way of defining roles etc...? But, in that case, that means ignoring legal requirements....

Find out how they intend to meet the requirement of the standard to show that they have determined the competencies needed. Audit that.

If job description do that, fine. If job descriptions fulfill requirements and obligations other that ISO, and they have another way, leave the job descriptions alone.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
OK...OK...no job descriptions!
I understand ur point....but what if job descriptions are mandatory being a legal requirement (e.g. imposed by Labour Code)?
Should I ask for them??
Or, better, should I ignore the fact they do not exist, if organization shows me another way of defining roles etc...? But, in that case, that means ignoring legal requirements....
I generally expect to see compliance with legal codes when auditing, but this is a delicate place to go as I am not a compliance auditor. I suspect you are not a compliance auditor either. Therefore, you might find yourself limited in your ability to "enforce" even the clearest of these codes if the organization still meets your needs by defining what competencies are needed, identifying persons who do or can perform and making up the difference through their preparation as needed.
:2cents:

Top Bottom