Misc Calibration Standard Inquiry

Hello,

We use many different kind of gages at the company I work for, we are an IATF16949 Certified company. I am reaching out to help our Calibration Technician find some answers.

Are there any applicable ASTM, ASME, etc. standards that explain/show how to calibrate:

1.) Plug and thread gages with depth notches, mainly just for the depth notch measurement?
2.) What about square or flat sided plug gages to verify part feature/hole width or length?
3.) Air Gages using air probes or rings (or is this based off the master ring/plug gage certs)?

I have looked extensively and couldn't find anything.

For the Air Gages, we have a magnification kit that we use but there is no official instruction on how to use it. Does anyone know of where an instruction for air gage magnification kits can be found (the manufacturer doesn't even have them available)?

If I am interpreting the IATF16949 standard and Sanctioned Interpretations and FAQs correctly, if there is no standard available we need to create our own procedure. Is this assumption correct?

Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

TG

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
There were some DoD calibration standards available a few years ago.....not sure if they are still out there somewhere, but if you google search for calibration instructions for (gauge type) you may find something.
Air gauges are not something you can 'calibrate', only set and validate. Calibration requires removal and replacement of the air jet insert. Setting of the air gauge (presuming you use a digital column display) is something your gauge provider can assist with. Verification is as simple as inserting the gauge into the master setting ring, and ensuring that the reading matches the ring.

Bill Evans

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

We use many different kind of gages at the company I work for, we are an IATF16949 Certified company. I am reaching out to help our Calibration Technician find some answers.

Are there any applicable ASTM, ASME, etc. standards that explain/show how to calibrate:

1.) Plug and thread gages with depth notches, mainly just for the depth notch measurement?
2.) What about square or flat sided plug gages to verify part feature/hole width or length?
3.) Air Gages using air probes or rings (or is this based off the master ring/plug gage certs)?

I have looked extensively and couldn't find anything.

For the Air Gages, we have a magnification kit that we use but there is no official instruction on how to use it. Does anyone know of where an instruction for air gage magnification kits can be found (the manufacturer doesn't even have them available)?

If I am interpreting the IATF16949 standard and Sanctioned Interpretations and FAQs correctly, if there is no standard available we need to create our own procedure. Is this assumption correct?

Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

TG

Look at the attachment list. There are examples of Outside Micrometer calibration, etc. Attachment Listing (elsmar.com)

Ron and Bill,

Thank you for your responses. I didn't really find what I need but I'm pretty sure we have to write our own calibration procedures for the special gauges we have/use in production. I wanted to ask because my Quality Manager believes there is an ASME, ASTM, etc. standard for how to measure ALL types of metrology equipment and we are at a loss for finding them all. I've spent days looking and haven't found anything so I'm pretty sure we have it all covered. We use CalPro and they utilize a lot of NAVAIR procedures and it still doesn't cover for some gage types we use, so we have been making our own but want to verify we are doing them right.

For the air gages, they sell a Magnification Kit to verify if the units are working correctly aside from just verifying by the ring gage. A lot of these units use "nominal" rings (all the newer ones I have seen in the plants). The older ones with a "Min" and "Max" ring were better because you could fine tune in your range of measurement (zero on Min and adjust spread to Max ring size) and always have a consistent measurement.

Thanks again,
TG

Bill Evans

Involved In Discussions
Ron and Bill,

Thank you for your responses. I didn't really find what I need but I'm pretty sure we have to write our own calibration procedures for the special gauges we have/use in production. I wanted to ask because my Quality Manager believes there is an ASME, ASTM, etc. standard for how to measure ALL types of metrology equipment and we are at a loss for finding them all. I've spent days looking and haven't found anything so I'm pretty sure we have it all covered. We use CalPro and they utilize a lot of NAVAIR procedures and it still doesn't cover for some gage types we use, so we have been making our own but want to verify we are doing them right.

For the air gages, they sell a Magnification Kit to verify if the units are working correctly aside from just verifying by the ring gage. A lot of these units use "nominal" rings (all the newer ones I have seen in the plants). The older ones with a "Min" and "Max" ring were better because you could fine tune in your range of measurement (zero on Min and adjust spread to Max ring size) and always have a consistent measurement.

Thanks again,
TG
There certainly are standards such as

Federal Gage block standards GGG-G-15B, or ISO 10663-16:2014 For calibrating Shock transducers, ANSI/ASME B1.2-1983 (R2017) for thread gages, or ASME B89.1.4:2018 Calibration of Caliper, ASME B89.1.13-2013 calibrating Micrometers

I was just suggesting before, that if you are in need of generating your own internal procedures, look at the format in the attachments

Bill Evans

Involved In Discussions
There were some DoD calibration standards available a few years ago.....not sure if they are still out there somewhere, but if you google search for calibration instructions for (gauge type) you may find something.
Air gauges are not something you can 'calibrate', only set and validate. Calibration requires removal and replacement of the air jet insert. Setting of the air gauge (presuming you use a digital column display) is something your gauge provider can assist with. Verification is as simple as inserting the gauge into the master setting ring, and ensuring that the reading matches the ring.
In an Air gage, you calibrate the set master rings High & Low. The set your air column to the set ring.

Top Bottom