Missed Annual Business Goals and Objectives

5johnson

Been TS compliant for over a year and just passed our audit a couple of months ago. As we move into January we need to update our business goals. Here is the problem. We didn't reach some of our 2011 goals. I am new at this, so I don't know the correct thing to do here. I know we have to address missed goals. With the new year, do I repeat old (missed) goals or implement new ones? Which will keep me out of hot water with the Auditor?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Annual Business goals and Objectives

Been TS compliant for over a year and just passed our audit a couple of months ago. As we move into January we need to update our business goals. Here is the problem. We didn't reach some of our 2011 goals. I am new at this, so I don't know the correct thing to do here. I know we have to address missed goals. With the new year, do I repeat old (missed) goals or implement new ones? Which will keep me out of hot water with the Auditor?

Are you speaking of business goals or quality objectives? Or KPI of the QMS processes?
However , whatever they are, you should have it addressed in mgmt review.
Quality goals can changes depending upon quality policy. This is ownership of the top mgmt.:bigwave:

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Annual Business goals and Objectives

Why did you miss them? Figure that out and then either correct the problem or toss the objective and create a new one which you might be better able to achieve (but don't softball one)

As a 3rd party auditor though, you had better be able to show me some type of activity related to the non achievement and your top managements involvement as well.

You are totally wrong if you do nothing

K

kgott

On what basis were the goals set? Were the goals set on the basis of plucking a number out of thin air (the I reckon method) or were they set as a result calculating the capability of the business process that are involved in delivery of the goal using SPC, and top management devising a plan for improving the capability to the process to a level that will deliver the desired goal?

You can set any goal you like but the process will never deliver anything more than what it’s capable of delivering.

As Randy said; does whoever set the goal have all the performance data needed to know where things went wrong for analysis and what improvements are going to made when re-setting the goal.
You should also note that sometimes goals (objectives) are desired outcomes but if they are not achieved, it’s not the non achievement of the goal that counts, it’s the improvement that’s taken place as a result of reaching for the goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Frankly, "goals" and TS Auditor's don't mix imo. The problem is that "to satisfy the Auditor" you set a goal with idea of acheivement. However, many times goals cannot be achieved and it should not be a cause for concern re the next audit. Look at your post. Do you want to repeat missed goals or change goals because of the auditor? Your goals should be what is best for the business. I like to set my goals very high, knowing full well achievement will be difficult. To me, it isn't the goal that counts, it is the movement toward that goal. Good luck.

A

Al Dyer

Goals are a good thing and need to be managed. Can you find a way to benchmark your goals with industry norms?

Al...

Top Bottom