Missed Annual Business Goals and Objectives

5johnson

Been TS compliant for over a year and just passed our audit a couple of months ago. As we move into January we need to update our business goals. Here is the problem. We didn't reach some of our 2011 goals. I am new at this, so I don't know the correct thing to do here. I know we have to address missed goals. With the new year, do I repeat old (missed) goals or implement new ones? Which will keep me out of hot water with the Auditor?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Annual Business goals and Objectives

Been TS compliant for over a year and just passed our audit a couple of months ago. As we move into January we need to update our business goals. Here is the problem. We didn't reach some of our 2011 goals. I am new at this, so I don't know the correct thing to do here. I know we have to address missed goals. With the new year, do I repeat old (missed) goals or implement new ones? Which will keep me out of hot water with the Auditor?
Are you speaking of business goals or quality objectives? Or KPI of the QMS processes?
However , whatever they are, you should have it addressed in mgmt review.
Quality goals can changes depending upon quality policy. This is ownership of the top mgmt.:bigwave:

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Annual Business goals and Objectives

Why did you miss them? Figure that out and then either correct the problem or toss the objective and create a new one which you might be better able to achieve (but don't softball one)

As a 3rd party auditor though, you had better be able to show me some type of activity related to the non achievement and your top managements involvement as well.

You are totally wrong if you do nothing

K

kgott

On what basis were the goals set? Were the goals set on the basis of plucking a number out of thin air (the I reckon method) or were they set as a result calculating the capability of the business process that are involved in delivery of the goal using SPC, and top management devising a plan for improving the capability to the process to a level that will deliver the desired goal?

You can set any goal you like but the process will never deliver anything more than what it’s capable of delivering.

As Randy said; does whoever set the goal have all the performance data needed to know where things went wrong for analysis and what improvements are going to made when re-setting the goal.
You should also note that sometimes goals (objectives) are desired outcomes but if they are not achieved, it’s not the non achievement of the goal that counts, it’s the improvement that’s taken place as a result of reaching for the goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Frankly, "goals" and TS Auditor's don't mix imo. The problem is that "to satisfy the Auditor" you set a goal with idea of acheivement. However, many times goals cannot be achieved and it should not be a cause for concern re the next audit. Look at your post. Do you want to repeat missed goals or change goals because of the auditor? Your goals should be what is best for the business. I like to set my goals very high, knowing full well achievement will be difficult. To me, it isn't the goal that counts, it is the movement toward that goal. Good luck.

A

Al Dyer

Goals are a good thing and need to be managed. Can you find a way to benchmark your goals with industry norms?

Al...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Root Cause for Missed Audits Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
P Corrective Action Response for Missed bumps on brake press Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
V "Manufacturer Symbol on Device is missed due to space constraint" EU requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M Multiple missed POs grounds for SCAR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 32
V Should there be a incident/deviation for breakdown or missed calibration date? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
E Missed Regular Forum Visitors and Moderators Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
M Preventing Missed Welds on Assemblies Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B Mining Nonconformance Data for Potential Missed Audit Findings Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
E How to respond to a Regulator regarding missed corrective action timelines Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
J AS9110 - The practice of Cannabalisation of Aircraft parts - Missed chance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
T Missed Quarterly Dose Audit! Sterilization Validation of Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 15
L How to Avoid Missed Welds - Job shop and weld several small quantity jobs Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
L Should "missed process step" be filled in PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 2
L Acceptance Activities-Dimensional Inspection was missed. Parts already assembled 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
H ISO 9001 Audit Next Week - Have I missed anything? General Auditing Discussions 19
I ISO 9001 Registration Audit coming soon - What Have I Missed? Failure modes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S MSA annual plan Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M AS9120B annual recert AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Ed Panek ANNUAL FDA Registration - What 510(k) number to use? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T What does VW mean by annual requalification? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
D License annual renewal - What changes to report to HC? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
B ETO Annual review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A TGA - Annual Report or Periodic Safety Update Report? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
I Do I need to sign off my annual audit calendar? Internal Auditing 2
S Annual Inspection Layout - Based on Customer print ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
K Updated MSA with the Annual PPAP validations APQP and PPAP 8
T Annual Validation as a detection mode on a PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 5
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E Annual PPAP+ deviation request ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
JoCam Increase to bi-annual ISO 13485 audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Informational Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency Annual Report and Accounts 2018 to 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA – Medical device annual reporting – Sponsor obligations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Is an Annual Layout Inspection the same as an Annual Re-validation? Internal Auditing 1
M Informational FDA Invites You to the 2019 Regulatory Education for Industry (REdI) Annual Conference Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Post Market Surveillance and Annual Product Review in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
qualprod Annual SWOT for 4.1? I plan to revise quality objectives and strategic route ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
qualprod ISO planning annual meeting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JoshuaFroud CDRH Annual Report - eSubmitter Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
B Does anyone charge for annual layouts? APQP and PPAP 8
V How to Add Annual Revalidation requirements to Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 5
K Is an annual "audit schedule" the same thing as an audit scope/ audit plan? Internal Auditing 8
S What questions to ask in annual supplier evaluation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Annual Layout requirements for PPAP/Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
W "On An Annual Basis" - Definition ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
D FDA Guidance Document for Preparing Annual Product Reviews US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Q FDA - Annual Report Submission Format and QMS updates Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
R Registrar Annual Management Fee Registrars and Notified Bodies 4