Missing Information in Training Records - Is it a Major Nonconformance?

K

KWalls - 2008

Just wanted to report in real quick... the "official" results are not in yet, but unofficially we only recieved 1 major - for missing some info in the training records of our employees. And the good new is, we get to fix it before he comes back in a few weeks!! Other than that, our non-robot auditor is very pleased with our system. And I have to say, I did ask questions which he answered in a general manner or broadly speaking. Nice to know that I don't have to be afraid to ask questions. And after all the worrying I did about internal auditing (or my lack of knowledge of internal auditing) turned out to be complete OVERKILL because I audited EVERYTHING under the sun here. He said that it was almost "too thorough". Guess that's a good thing? THANK YOU to all of you who have helped me through this process. I seriously couldn't have done it without YOU or the Cove.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Doug Tropf

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Tips and Ideas for Working with Auditors

Nice job Kyle, I imagine most of us get a case of the nerves prior to major audits. Hope the audit results lead to a raise for you.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
What was the verdict?

Just wanted to report in real quick... the "official" results are not in yet, but unofficially we only recieved 1 major - for missing some info in the training records of our employees. And the good new is, we get to fix it before he comes back in a few weeks!!
:confused: Sorry, I am sure it is just general stupidity on my part but I thought you posted:
  1. The auditor raised a major because a few training records weren't complete - doesn't sound like a major to me! Perhaps there is something else you can post here so we can give our cove "verdict"
  2. You get another visit to clear the "Major." I presume you are paying extra for this?

C

CliffK

Re: Tips and ideas for working with auditors

Just wanted to report in real quick... the "official" results are not in yet, but unofficially we only recieved 1 major - for missing some info in the training records of our employees. And the good new is, we get to fix it before he comes back in a few weeks!! Other than that, our non-robot auditor is very pleased with our system.
Congratulations. Glad you had a good experience.

Getting a major for missing information in training records seems a bit much. Can you provide more information (maybe start a new thread) about the finding?

There's nothing wrong with suggesting that the auditor or CB reconsider the severity of a finding. I think your fellow Covers might be able to give you some advice, if you are interested.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Tips and ideas for working with auditors

Just wanted to report in real quick... the "official" results are not in yet, but unofficially we only recieved 1 major - for missing some info in the training records of our employees. And the good new is, we get to fix it before he comes back in a few weeks!! Other than that, our non-robot auditor is very pleased with our system. And I have to say, I did ask questions which he answered in a general manner or broadly speaking. Nice to know that I don't have to be afraid to ask questions. And after all the worrying I did about internal auditing (or my lack of knowledge of internal auditing) turned out to be complete OVERKILL because I audited EVERYTHING under the sun here. He said that it was almost "too thorough". Guess that's a good thing? THANK YOU to all of you who have helped me through this process. I seriously couldn't have done it without YOU or the Cove.
KWalls,

For a nonconformity to be major, it has to be a failure of (in this case) the training process. Are you sure it is a major? Was this issue discussed during the closing meeting? Just curious. Some information missing in training records would be a minor, if at all....

Stijloor.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Re: Missing information in a training record-Is it a Major?

All, this thread has been moved from the tips/ideas for auditors. I think it is a very worthwhile discussion for the OP (and all of us). I hope no one objects.

K

KWalls - 2008

Re: Missing information in a training record-Is it a Major?

Just to clarify for you guys... yesterday was Readiness Review for us. So it wasn't the "real deal" but gave us a good idea at where we stood. But here is the reason behind the "finding"... He said that the training grandfathering statement had to show which departments they were grandfathered in for... ex: Our shop foreman would be grandfathered in for Manufacturing and Quality Control. Whereas right now is just states on their record that they are free from any type of training because they have helped create the system. Does that make sense?

Other than that he said there is no reason we shouldn't pass our certification audit on the 4th and 5th of February (1 & 1/2 days) and that he's been to a lot of small businesses to audit/register them and we are the most ready he's ever seen.

michellemmm

Quest For Quality
Re: What was the verdict?

:confused: Sorry, I am sure it is just general stupidity on my part but I thought you posted:
  1. The auditor raised a major because a few training records weren't complete - doesn't sound like a major to me! Perhaps there is something else you can post here so we can give our cove "verdict"
  2. You get another visit to clear the "Major." I presume you are paying extra for this?
I had the same reaction when I read her post... Not Fair!!! :nope:

I guess it all depends on the auditor...Is s/he going to audit the letter of quality or the spirit of quality...If an auditor wants to find fault or nonconformity, s/he can!!! No system is perfect...

S/he starts with a minor and follows the process through (audit trail) and shows the breakdown in the system from management commitment to customer satisfaction and build a case....

During my last audit, my client manager asked one of my SMT operator (new hire):
What problems do you have with the machine?
What have you done to improve the equipment?
Have you worked with better equipment?
Have you proposed getting better equipment?
etc...

My heart stopped....I could not breathe...
My client manager could have given several majors...But...He was not on a fault finding mission....He was looking for effective implementation.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: What was the verdict?

There are two ways to look at this. The first way is to say, whatever it's called in this situation--major or minor--it'll get fixed and people will move on with their lives. On the other hand, it's important to establish the ground rules early on and make sure that the auditor understands what it takes to characterize a given finding as "major." Unless there's evidence of a systemic failure--a required process either doesn't exist or is demonstrably ineffective--there is no major nonconformance, and it shouldn't be accepted as such.

Re: Missing Information in a Training Record - Is it a Major Nonconformance Finding?

He said that it was almost "too thorough".
Kyle:

Good job on being prepared! But this kind of comment from a CB auditor is really too much. Not his call............:rolleyes:

And, there's no way what you described is a major! I'm not an advocate of Grandfathering anyone into a job, don't care how long they've been doing it. As a manager I want to know they're competent, and grey hair doesn't do that for anyone...........
That said, his idea of what is required is off.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Missing routers/documented information Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
R Information found missing in a Medical Device Record Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
L How do you handle missing information? People seem to "forget" to enter information Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 148
R Quality Manual missing information - Root cause for a documentation mistake Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
M Missing measuring equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
I Reissuing documents due to missing version / issue numbers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
F Missing value of Uncertainty B Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
qualprod To raise a NC beyond the audit scope? Two signatures were missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M What to do about Non Conformance forms that are deleted or missing? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
N Original signed IQ/OQ/PQ missing - but have data - Do we do it over? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
MarilynJ6354 Missing Corrective Actions - Workforce does not trigger corrective action requests General Auditing Discussions 6
Q Practical guide to scan for Risks in all QMS systems without missing any ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
O CQE Handbook - Missing Section VII - Risk Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
W AS9100 (8.5.1 j) - Missing Parts when received back from External Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Missing Hardware in Accessory Kits Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
C Recurring Nonconformance - Missing Deadline for Closing a Corrective Action Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 14
N "Sterile" missing on the CE Certificate - ISO 13485 Certified Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O New Job 1 Month from Recertification Audit - Missing Documents, no Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
H Incomplete forms and records missing date or a name Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
Marc Searching Linkedin Posts - What am I missing? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
K Revision History of Quality Manual Missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
E Research or other consents missing from the Donor Medical Chart Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Missing Document in a TS 16949 Audit - Nonconformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
F Fully nested ANOVA: A missing p-values (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 11
W The 2nd printing of the AWS D17.1 2010 which was 2011 - Page missing? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
J Eliminating Missing Steps In Manual Operations Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 8
R How to report missing Procedures and Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Missing Dimensions on the 2D drawings - FAI and 3D Models Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P ISO 9001:2008 - I'm missing page 3 in my copy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Fender1 Corrective Action and Root Cause Analysis for a Missing Assembly Part ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
G Signature Missing from Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
E What is missing in the attached Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S Load Label Missing from Ladders Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 7
Q Non Conformity in Audit: Missing Deputy Rule ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M For ISO 9001: Missing Measurement Gage Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Missing expiry date on Class II Medical Device - Recall/Not? What are EU Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B IEC 60601 Annex D Symbols needed - I am missing Annex D from my standard IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M What to do about missing Quality Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 11
L Eliminating a Recurring Problem of Missing Weld Nuts/Fasteners Manufacturing and Related Processes 27
Q Focused CAPA on Missing Finished Nonconforming Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Marc Items Missing from the US National Archives World News 0
J U.S. National Archives offers reward for missing hard drive After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
D 21 CFR 820 - Missing Numbers - I have a reference to 820.84 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R FDA Audit - Medical Device missing Repair Record General Auditing Discussions 21
Stijloor Jet engines found with damaged, missing parts World News 3
B Need for revision (minor inconsistencies, missing dates and revision numbers, etc)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Missing inserts in injection molding Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Requirement to Complete Missing Documentation - Changing Registrars Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S What is the use of bar code? The Potential Effects of Missing Bar Code Labels FMEA and Control Plans 6