Mitutoyo or SPI Bore Gages

B

Bob the QE

We ordered replacement parts for some SPI bore gages and they cam in with Mitutoyo part numbers on the parts themselves, does any one know if SPI is owned by Mitutoyo? This is really confusing as I thought they were competitors. Any one have a simular situation with these two companies?

Thanks in advance

J

jasonb067

Re: Mitutoyo or SPI

I think that SPI has had arrangements in the past where they would put an SPI vanity dial on somone elses equipment. As far as I know they did not have this type of arrangement with Mitutoyo. However, it may be the case that they did. Look at the made in on the gage. If it was made in Japan probably Mitutoyo product with an SPI vanity dial. If made in Switzerland probably Compac with SPI name on it. If somewhere else I have no idea.

T

True Position

Is SPI really someone who people want to have their gages ID'ed as? I've always considered SPI to be 'Questionable Chinese Gages', not something I would rebadge an actual Mitutoyo indicators as, it would be like putting Kia badges on your Lexus.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

We ordered replacement parts for some SPI bore gages and they cam in with Mitutoyo part numbers on the parts themselves, does any one know if SPI is owned by Mitutoyo? This is really confusing as I thought they were competitors. Any one have a simular situation with these two companies?

Thanks in advance
Why not do the following?

1. ask the supplier what the story is? (If I thought I was getting genuine GM replacement parts and they came with Ford logo and part number, I'd be a little leery of my supplier)
  2. contact SPI direct, giving them the whole story, original gage ID, supplier, Mitutoyo p/n, etc. and ask (http://www.swissprec.com/CGI/ISPAGE?PMPAGE=/contact_spi.htm)

J

jasonb067

Thanks for making me laugh. I think that some of the gages with the SPI name are good, for example older Comapc. I guess for the right amount of money Tesla would let Hyundai put their logo on their cars. (except I think Toyota beat Hyundai to the punch)

I can not imagine that Mitutoyo would allow SPI to put their name on a Mitutoyo gage but, if SPI had the dollars then who knows????

But you are also right in that SPI did put their name on a lot of junk. That junk is impossible to repair because parts are not available. They are also very cheap to purchase proving once again you get what you pay for.

B

Bob the QE

I wasn't rying to put down one company or another I am just tying to get the right preplacement parts. And to Jason's point both the handle and indicator have "Made in Japan" on them that is why I thought they may be one in the same. We have quite a few SPI bore gages and they serve their purpose just fine, thank you.
Oh ya I hav a 2005 Kia Rio, it hasn't given one problem in 170K miles and I didn't pay a Lexus price for it:rolleyes:. Go figure you get what you pay for.

B

Bob the QE

I tried that once and got know where except turned over to a distibutor in my area who hasn't left alone since.but maybe I will try again.

Thanks

J

jasonb067

Just a follow up. If the SPI gages are not the same model number I would check to see Made in locations for all of them just to be sure what you have.

T

True Position

I tried that once and got know where except turned over to a distibutor in my area who hasn't left alone since.but maybe I will try again.

Thanks

From Long Island Indicator:

'SPI (China) manufactured for SPI. These are generally the same Chinese indicators you can buy under any number of other "brand" names. The cheap price gives them away. SPI stands for Swiss Precision Instruments. Don't let this fool you. These are not Swiss and their precision is short lived. (SPI used to offer genuine Swiss indicators with the SPI name. They were made by Compac and you can still get them. See Compac above.)

Repairs: not possible
Sales: any SPI distributor including Long Island Indicator (but we won't sell you any of these on purpose)
Parts: not available. Never have been, never will be.
Information: you read it here'

If you are going to replace them if you cannot find repair parts, Interapid indicators are better then their Mitutoyo competitors for surface plate work in my personal opinion.

Top Bottom