Mix(ed) up Procedure

M

mr. veen

Hello everybody!

I still think this is one of the best resources when it comes to ISO, good work Marc!

Now, let's get to the point. I've been ordered to implement a Mixed up procedure which will have to ensure that our products don't get mixed up duiring the process. We don't want the customer receive the wrong product or twenty different products in one order when it has to be only one product.

My question is: does anyone have experience in implementing a similar procedure?

I would be greatfull if someone could help me.

With kind regards,

Sander Veen, The Netherlands ( :cool: it's cold today :cool: )

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Is it that much of an issue?!?!

Mr, Veen, if you don't mind me asking, does your organization frequently mix up product? I mean, is it a common occurence for your company to give the wrong product to the wrong Customer? And how is it thought that writing a procedure for this help? What is/are truly the root cause(s) to this mix up happening?

My organization has no such mix up procedure...preferring to take a pro-active approach than reactive. Our documented processes, our structured training system, our whole business management system has the tools within it to help avoid such mixups from occurring.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Occasionally, Sales (who is not located at our site) will tell us to ship Product XYZ, when they meant XZY...typos are the main reason for our Customers receiving incorrect product, but this kind of situation is easily resolved between us and the Customer.

C

Craig H.

RCBeyette said:
Mr, Veen, if you don't mind me asking, does your organization frequently mix up product? I mean, is it a common occurence for your company to give the wrong product to the wrong Customer? And how is it thought that writing a procedure for this help? What is/are truly the root cause(s) to this mix up happening?

My organization has no such mix up procedure...preferring to take a pro-active approach than reactive. Our documented processes, our structured training system, our whole business management system has the tools within it to help avoid such mixups from occurring.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Occasionally, Sales (who is not located at our site) will tell us to ship Product XYZ, when they meant XZY...typos are the main reason for our Customers receiving incorrect product, but this kind of situation is easily resolved between us and the Customer.

I agree that a proactive approach should be taken. First, where in the process are the "mix ups" happening? Address those first. Is it because of labeling that is hard for employees to read? Do they know what to look for and why part XZY is different than XYZ? Why is the difference important to the customer? Do employees understand this?

We could write a procedure that says "do not mix up the products", but without addressing the sytem that is producing the mix ups, a procedure will have little effect.

Craig

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Mr. Veen,

In my personal experience, mix-ups are most often the result of not properly labeling the product as it moves from the start of the overall process to the end, especially when changing from one process step to another. (Maybe it is different for you, I don't know). But if so, I would guess the issue is already addressed by your documents related to ISO 9001-2000 section 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability. As others have said, just writing another document may not help any, especially because you may not know what to write yet. I might try going out on the floor where this has happened before and ask the employees for their input, spend some time with the process, etc. Maybe some simple changes and increased awareness can correct the problem.

M

mshell

Mr. Veen

I agree with the other responses. Another procedure is not going to resolve the issue. If you walk the process or initiate a corrective action for the area responsible for the mix up and let the production employees assist with the root cause analysis and solution implementation, you will get more bang for your buck.

mshell

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
mshell said:
Mr. Veen

I agree with the other responses. Another procedure is not going to resolve the issue. If you walk the process or initiate a corrective action for the area responsible for the mix up and let the production employees assist with the root cause analysis and solution implementation, you will get more bang for your buck.

mshell
I like the trend of mshell's reply, Mr. Veen. The situation (mixing orders) you describe is almost always a symptom of a deeper "root cause." I have lots of experience in dealing with "error proofing" a supply chain (my own or a supplier's.)

It appears your organization needs to examine every process in the supply chain and establish a uniform protocol to deal with each and every order. Here's a simple list of 4 basic factors to include in your supply chain.
  1. product ID is clear and concise, so it is difficult to make simple typo or other dyslexic error - sometimes requires changing nomenclature
  2. confirm order with customer (to assure no slip twixt lip, ear, order form)
  3. create "traveler" which lists all goods in the order to follow goods from order desk to shipping dock (instant reference for order requirements)
  4. each person in supply chain affirms goods match traveler at that point in chain (accountability)

G

Greg B

Analysis

Mr Veen,

We perform a Job Risk Analysis (JRA) and work out what could go wrong with a process or job before we commence it. This includes Safety, Environmental, Procedural and Quality (Contamination etc). I may perform an audit and highlight potential problems or known problems, as you have suggested, and one of the ways to close out the audit findings is to perform a JRA. The team will sit down and go thru a process 'step by step' and grade the risks involved with the process. The process is then to limit or remove the risks. Eg: Engineered out, Trained out, Administered out (new process, checklist), etc tec.

Hope this helps.

Greg B

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Paint Procedure on How to Mix Paint and Water wanted Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
F My boss wants a mix of Procedure and Form - Forklift and Manlift Equipment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Q Is it acceptable to mix components from two different lots into an assembly? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q Can there be a mix of good and bad parts for a variable GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Determing Machine Capability in a High Mix, Low Volume Sheet Metal Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B Mix between two Tablets Batch of the same Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Mix Multi-Site/Individual Certification - Has this ever happened to anyone? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
T Packaging Box Mix Joint - Corrective Action help Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
Howard Atkins Marketing and Quality Mix Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Hershal Want to mix it up in political and similar discussions? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R Control on Setting piece mix-up - Are there any fool proof systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
G Idea To Prevent Mix-up of Medical gases Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
kedarg6500 Potential Failure Mode - Mix Charge for Hardness - Casting Process FMEA and Control Plans 1
N Painting experts: Coverage area for each litre of paint and thinner mix Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
J Product Mix - Routing Problem - LINGO or EXCEL Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
J Product mix problem using excel .xls - Can anybody throw in some light? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
B Mix of leaded & leadfree components - Affected Solder Joints Quality - Vibration Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Marc Twin Mars rovers - Instrument mix-up - Instruments installed in the wrong rovers World News 2
D Limiting Scope of TS 16949 Certification - Mix of Automotive and Non-Automotive IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B A mix of plastic and solid colorant - 'Gage' R&R on a process Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Short Lead Times - APQP and PPAP - Commercial Product Mix APQP and PPAP 10
L Sample Procedure from Contract Manufacturer Prospective ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M UDI procedure/ report 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
DuncanGibbons Resources for aiding in procedure, work instruction and manufacturing plan development and management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S Article 22 Procedure Pack Labelling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
R Procedure, Frequency and Acceptance Criteria for Replicate, Recalibration, Before-After and Intermediate Checks ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
L Purchasing procedure and workload ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Roles and accountabilities procedure? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
K Procedure equals a process? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
M EU MDR - RA procedure for EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
F Procedure for Device End of Life/Obsolescence Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
A MAH license transfer (medical device registrant) procedure in Indonesia Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
F ISO 13485 8.2.3 Reporting to regulatory authorities: Question regarding a procedure for this clause. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Manufacturing procedure / work instruction depth ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Product Lifecycle Procedure Guidance Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
V Datron 4707 or 4708 33K, NAVAIR or TB cal procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R MDR Article 22: Systems and procedure packs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E AS9100 installtion procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0