Monitoring a Request for Corrective Action to a Supplier

L

lflemon

I've been given the task of monitoring all CAR's that are sent to our vendors (suppliers) and making sure that the vendors respond.

In reviewing these CARs I cannot find one that has been returned with any corrective action from a vendor with several CARs of the same repeated issues.

I want to reverse this practice of not responding to the CARs by sending a e-mail or making a phone call and letting them know that we need to get in the practice of completing this form and making corrective actions.

I'm looking for sugestions on how to go about this and get positive actions as a result.

thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Monitoring Company's Request for Corrective Action

Welcome to The Cove. A few thoughts:
  • If the delinquent supplier has not experienced any "penalties" for failing to respond to your SCAR's in the past, why should they take your new request with a heightened attention? Is your organization willing to disqualify them as a supplier?
  • Make sure the requests for corrective actions are appropriate and justified. Way too many times organizations (attempt to) blame suppliers for problems that they created themselves.
  • Make sure that whomever is triggering the supplier corrective actions do so in good faith. Way too often customers require corrective actions for anything less than perfect. For the most part, customers are not willing to pay for the cost of perfection.
  • Finally, keep in mind that TRUE corrective action is the prevention of a repeat problem. So, if you are involved with the evaluation of the suitability of the supplier corrective action, make sure they are indeed performing root cause analysis and addressing the real problems; otherwise, you will find yourself reviewing the same problems over and over and over and over.....

L

lflemon

Thank you Sidney for your response.

What I'm seeing is...a CAR is being for every issue some that I think are repeated quality issues that are valid and others that are parts under warranty where a motor for example fails and a distributor has to make a repair at the customer's location and we bill them for cost associated with labor and replacement parts.

However, I think on our end we have become accustomed to sending a CAR with every return and it may be being ignored.

More replies please...

thanks,

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Sidney makes some excellent points - the most cogent one being
No "or else" associated with the request!

From the supplier's side of the coin, though, it may not consider your organization worthy of jumping through hoops. I can imagine me sending a CAR to GM, Ford, Toyota because I have a rattle in the door of the car I bought with their nameplate. I can't imagine them complying, though, simply because I can't wield an important enough penalty to get their attention.

Exactly what is the recurring issue? Is it important? If so, someone high on the totem pole in your organization should be concerned enough to get involved. If not, perhaps folks on your side need to re-evaluate the CAR - or, if important, re-evaluate the supplier!

Many times, CARs are requested as a routine for ANY discrepancy. I recall a clerk once sending me a long, involved CAR to complete when his shipment had been delayed one day because his street had been blocked from a traffic accident and the carrier was unable to make delivery before the customer closed their receiving dock.

I called his CEO (a long time acquaintance) after faxing the [blank] report to him and said, "I'll be happy to complete this report with a copy of the police report of the accident on YOUR street; will you pay the $200.00 document preparation fee for what we consider a frivolous request?"

Turned out the production line didn't need our product for another two weeks! We laughed and he vowed to have a closer look at "busy work."

Q

QCAce

Thank you Sidney for your response.

What I'm seeing is...a CAR is being for every issue some that I think are repeated quality issues that are valid and others that are parts under warranty where a motor for example fails and a distributor has to make a repair at the customer's location and we bill them for cost associated with labor and replacement parts.

However, I think on our end we have become accustomed to sending a CAR with every return and it may be being ignored.

More replies please...

thanks,
I would recommend keeping your vendor return process the same and using that process as a data collection point. Analyze that data and then issue CAR's for "significant or repeated" issues, (you can define what that is).
Another benefit is that you will then have a measurement for determining whether or not a particular CAR has been effectively implemented or not.

By sending fewer, data-driven CAR's you'll receive a better vendor response, your system will be easier to maintain, and you will see more continual improvement.

T

TShepherd

Are you using CAR as "Corrective Action Report" or "Corrective Action Request" there is a difference. Report infers just that - a report.

In the automotive world they have specific systems, for instance - Within GM it is the PRR system (Problem Reporting and Resolution) at Chrysler it is the NCT (Non-Conformance Ticket) and so on) and so on - they were both developed for material management - but it was soon discovered that this type of system would apply to issues (not just quality) within the customer / supplier relationship.

It didn,t take long for them to realize that if they added specific penalties for not using the system such as.

demands for specific documents W/pictures and each OEM has their own specific format which is slightly different from each other.

Being put in the top worst supplier group - being forced to attend their specific training classes at your cost - Level 1 containment to Level 3 containment which means you will have a third party sort at a location that they choose - and you get to pay for it.

In short - leverage to beat the hell out of the suppler and in a few cases a source of revenue.

You have had some very good advice in the other posts to which I agree - Pick the fly **** out of the pepper and focus on those in real terms of improvement by working with the supplier for resolution without the threats.

And remember, you are always quilty until proven otherwise.

Tom:2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Routine Bioburden Monitoring ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
E Any template/ form of Monitoring and Measurement of Processes and product to ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Calibrating the monitoring device but not the unit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J Register of the monitoring and measuring equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Cleanroom Differential Pressure Monitoring, frequent manual observation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J Need a contract monitoring Tool General Information Resources 0
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
K Monitoring the identified side-effects and contraindications ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
C ISO 14001:2015 6.1.3 Compliance Obligations - Legal requirements monitoring ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Monitoring and Control Instruments RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
E Insulation diagram for ECG monitoring and diagnosis system. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A How to reduce the process SPC monitoring Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
R Calibration lab environmental monitoring General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S User evaluation for self monitoring blood glucose test systems US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S HIPAA-compliant monitoring software (advice needed) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
qualprod Monitoring of lead time - Good KPI identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B Bioburden monitoring for surgical instrument provided non-sterile EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
P IATF 16949 8.4.2.4 Supplier Monitoring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
D Monitoring and measuring resources - Example of how section ISO 9001 7.1.5 would apply to a manufacture of software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Textiles needed for home monitoring device - any suggestions? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
G Problem Resolution Report Monitoring - Customer complaint or PRR as general motors use Customer Complaints 12
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R ISO 13485 Software validation procedure and Quality Objectives Monitoring wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q AS9120B - ESD monitoring devices part of 7.1.5 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P IATF 16949 - Monitoring Suppliers for Premium Freight IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
qualprod ISO 9001 Clause 9.1 - Monitoring measurement analysis and evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T ISO 13485 8.2.5. Monitoring and measurement of quality management system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Records required for ISO 9001 clause 7.1.5.1 - Fitness for purpose of the monitoring and measurement resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
chris1price Cleanroom Monitoring Plan - ISO14644-2:2015 - Risk Assessment Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
dhuot1990 Issues with REES Environmental Monitoring System Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – A Risk-Based Approach to Monitoring of Clinical Investigations Questions and Answers Guidance for Industry Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I FDA requirement for 0.5 and 5 micron particle monitoring US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
qualprod Complying with ISO 9001:2015 - 9.1.1 b - Monitoring, measuring, analyzing and evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Marc New Posts and New Threads - Monitoring (aka "Watching") Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
L Monitoring transmitted data from a bluetooth medical product IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
T How to plan the monitoring of suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M CQI-9 monitoring of temperature in die Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.1 and 4.2 - Evidences for Monitoring ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G IATF 9.1.1.1 Monitoring and Measurement of Manufacturing Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
qualprod ISO 9001 Cl. 4.1 and 4.2 - What does monitoring and review mean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13