SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Monitoring Out-of-control situations on X-bar and R chart

A

aproddutoor

Hi,

We use Windows Magic Professional to monitor our data. Each time the data for a sample is collected, the software does the tests for special causes and plots the point on the X-bar and R control chart.

Say I have collected data for the 1st three samples and the 3rd sample is out of control. Since the control limits are calculated for every sample. Now, say I have collected data for samples 4, 5, 6, 7 and none of them were out of control but now my 3rd sample which was out of control shows it's in control. So I want to know whether I should monitor the data continuously for each sample or after every lot?

The drawback with this software is, it does the tests for special causes only on the last sample. Say you've collected 8 samples, it does all the tests only on the 8th sample and when the data for 9th sample is collected, it does the tests only for the 9th sample.

So can someone tell me what to do?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
The issue is that you are allowing the software to recalculate the control limits with the addition of every subgroup. This is not how SPC is intended to work.

One should collect an appropriate number of subgroups (based on knowledge of how the process actually varies). The rule of thumb fo rthis is 20-25 subgroups but may be more or less depending on the process.

Calculate the control limits and adjust for any obvious assignable cause results. Apply these limits to all future subgroups.

Only recalculate the limts when an intentional permanent improvement is made.

A

aproddutoor

So do I need to fix my control limits, in order to not recalculate it?

But I thought we don't set any control limits.

I use Minitab but since it isn't a real time software, I always interpreted the charts after all the samples were collected. But with the real time software I don't know whether I had to taken any action in between, if it is out-of-control. Or wait until the end of each lot. In most of our processes we collect around 17 samples with a sample size of 3.

A

aproddutoor

Unfortunately they don't even have a website. We bought it 2001.
I know the software has drawbacks. I got the name of the software wrong. This is the address

Magic Windows Professional
The Crosby Company
P.O Box 188
Wedron, IL 60557
www.qualitynews.com

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RandT

I agree with Bev D. The control limits should be calculated after the initial study and should not recalculated based on every subsequent sample unless something is corrected in the process.

In my opinion, it is also appropriate after an extensive production run, and after all data points with special/assignable causes are removed, to do a recalculation of the limits.

Just for the reasons you mentioned, constant recalculations will mask any trends or out of control issues. If you have a single sample that is out of control, and several following samples are then in control, I would reverify the measurement on the one piece (if possible) to ensure there was no measurement or recording error. Based on the fact the process stayed in control after that one instance, I would probably assume that the one sample was indeed a special cause.

One thing I really don't understand is how a software program can make the determination (based on the latest data point) that a piece had special cause variation without further analysis of the process?

Last edited by a moderator:

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think the OP raises a big issue. How many organizations are applying SPC blindly without fully understand how to use the software or the concepts. In 2001 when the software was purchased, what was its intended purpose? Eight years later, control limits are still being dynamically calculated. Sounds like for 8 years, they misapplied SPC.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I think the OP raises a big issue. How many organizations are applying SPC blindly without fully understand how to use the software or the concepts. .... Sounds like for 8 years, they misapplied SPC.
:agree1: Yes, we know that blindly rubber stamping X-bar-R charts alone may have been misapplied SPC.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
:agree1: Yes, we know that blindly rubber stamping X-bar-R charts alone may have been misapplied SPC.
Unfortunately there are lots more people using SPC without understanding even basic principles than there are people who do understand what they're doing. The community of happily ignorant users increased dramatically with the advent of Six Sigma, with many people being told that they don't need to understand what they're doing so long as they can plug the numbers in and see a result that matches what they're looking for. And please, no responses about how a true SS practitioner would never do or advocate such thing, which is a tautological concept.

Last edited:

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Unfortunately there are lots more people using SPC without understanding even basic principles than there are people who do understand what they're doing.
It has been a double edge sword. In my mind, in many ways automotive is to blame by forcing SPC and capability requirements onto the entire industry without the proper depth of understanding in place beforehand - even for the OEMs! I will say that the AIAG books have been some of the better attempts to cover the topics...as a starting place, not as a final rule.

Yet, the other industries that have been slow to incorporate SPC and process capability are really spinning their wheels. I have been there, and it is so old school it makes the hair stand up on my neck.

On top of that, I think SPC is - and should be - an evolving developmental process. As we slowly pry ourselves away from plug-and-chug rubber stamping and start to think about each and every process in a more holistic approach, we will learn new and effective techniques for control. The job is far from done, and the harm of rubber stamping is far from being realized and reconciled.

But, we keep trying!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Monitoring and Control Instruments RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Calibration Interval - AS9100 - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
T IATF 16949 Control Plan and Process Monitoring Requirement(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H ISO 9001:2008 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measurement (Computer Software) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Does 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment align with ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
G Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment for Servicing Photocopiers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO9001 Exclusion 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Monitoring and Control of Utilities and Supplies (7.5.1) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment - Monitoring vs. Measuring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Monthly Data Review through Control Charts - Monitoring Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Medical Device External Standards Control and Monitoring Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
G 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment vs. 7.6.1 Measurement Systems Analy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
P Control of Monitoring and Measurement Devices - ISO 13485 Clause 7.6 says ... ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Clarification on 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices Note AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
R Pest Control and Monitoring Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Control of Monitoring & Measurement Equipment - ISO 9001:2008, Clause 7.6 c) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
M Effective Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Unused Devices AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
J Compliance with ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring & Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Monitoring changes in ANSI standards - Control of External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Deciding what Processes need Control and Monitoring - 820.70 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Control of Measuring and Monitoring Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - infrared thermometer for cross-check ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R ISO 13485 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and measuring devices - Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
W Computer Software - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Control of monitoring and measuring devices - Computer forensics company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Clause 7.6 Exclusion? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Suggestions for: Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices? (see 7.2.1) (1) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 33
D 7.5.1.1 - Controls vs. Methods for Monitoring of Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
3 Calibration Frequency - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Clause 7.6 Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
T Control of Monitoring Device - Workers (employees) eyes - Visual Inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
R TS 16949 Clause 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
A Outsourcing Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Control of Monitoring & Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Control of Monitoring and Measurment Manuals Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
R 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Calibrate Computers - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6. Control of Monitoring & Measuring Devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
R 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices in the Service Industry Service Industry Specific Topics 12
E Control of Monitoring and Measuring Device Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
E What are monitoring devices? ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 - Control of ... monitoring devices ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Register of the monitoring and measuring equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Cleanroom Differential Pressure Monitoring, frequent manual observation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J Need a contract monitoring Tool General Information Resources 0
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
K Monitoring the identified side-effects and contraindications ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
C ISO 14001:2015 6.1.3 Compliance Obligations - Legal requirements monitoring ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Insulation diagram for ECG monitoring and diagnosis system. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A How to reduce the process SPC monitoring Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3