Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization?

How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? How do I go about monitoring, measuring and keeping records of our performance in those areas?

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? How do I go about monitoring, measuring and keeping records of our performance in those areas?
You can not expect answers when you do not give specifics such as your organization type, types of measurements you make and other specifics.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for this omission. We are one of the fastest growing industrial products and MRO services marketing house in Nigeria. We are a quick and reliable partner in the supply of: electric motors, servo-motors, gear-motors, bearings, chains & seals, Frequency converters/drives, sensors, HMI's, power supplies, PLC's, PCB's, solenoid valves & HVAC products, Electrical switch-gears, contactors, relays, breakers, thermal overload, switches, Hydraulics and Pneumatics, pumps, cylinders,fittings and valves, Special OEM's and material handling/maintenance products.

We also offer After sales services, Installation, Adaptation and Retrofitting, Alignment of shafts and pulley system, Thermal inspection/survey, Vibration Analysis, Lubrication testing and Repair of Industrial Electronics including Frequency inverters PLC's, HMI's, Power supplies, UPS, Servo drives & CNC systems.

Basically, we have set QHSE Objectives for the various processes within the organization which includes: Customer Service, Quality, Purchasing, Account, IT and Technical, etc. How do we go about measuring the performance of these objectives and targets? What specifically does the Clause 9.1.1 and 9.1.3 in ISO 9001: 2015 standard require us to do?

Looking forward to your advice and valuable input.

Last edited:

Tagin

Involved In Discussions
Basically, we have set QHSE Objectives for the various processes within the organization which includes: Customer Service, Quality, Purchasing, Account, IT and Technical, etc. How do we go about measuring the performance of these objectives and targets? What specifically does the Clause 9.1.1 and 9.1.3 in ISO 9001: 2015 standard require us to do?
To use an example, you mention "We are a quick and reliable partner...", so I understand "quick" to mean that getting a customer order processed and delivered is important to your company's success.

Therefore, you might want to set a goal, like "we ship 90% of our order in less than 2 days". Then, you measure the time (either in hours or days) from when an order arrives (or when an order is accepted) to when it finally ships. Periodically, perhaps monthly, you look at all those measurements for the orders processed for the last month and see if you are above or below your goal of '90% within 2 days'. If not, then you may need to document some action to take to improve until you are hitting your goal, or maybe you realize it is unrealistic or too expensive to meet that goal, so you then revise the goal downward (e.g., '90% in a week or less').

I assume that the QHSE objectives you have set are measurable? If so, then you simply need to measure those and again, periodically, review the measurable data and see if you are meeting your objectives or not.

These activities of collecting measurements and analyzing them, are what 9.1.3 are about. But note that 9.1.3 also lists specific areas that analysis must be applied to, such as external suppliers (9.1.3f). As a supplier of all those industrial products to your customers, you probably deal with many suppliers of your own, and 9001 requires you to monitor your external suppliers on an ongoing basis. You get to choose the specific criteria to evaluate them on, so lets say you choose "on-time" and "defect%". So, you set a target of 90% on-time and 1% defect rate. Then, you measure every shipment for if it is on-time (i.e., when they said it would arrive) or not, and also measure the number of defective items you have to return to them. Total up the measurements monthly (for example) and see if the supplier is meeting the targets or not. If not, then you may need to take action with the supplier so they improve.

Those are a couple of examples. Since every company is different and ha different priorities, the standard allows you a lot of freedom in choosing what to measure. Just be sure that you are collecting enough data to evaluate all the areas a-g in 9.1.3. And also, remember that the quality objectives you selected in 6.2 are being measured (6.2b) and the data analyzed/reviewed periodically (6.2e) too.

To use an example, you mention "We are a quick and reliable partner...", so I understand "quick" to mean that getting a customer order processed and delivered is important to your company's success.

Therefore, you might want to set a goal, like "we ship 90% of our order in less than 2 days". Then, you measure the time (either in hours or days) from when an order arrives (or when an order is accepted) to when it finally ships. Periodically, perhaps monthly, you look at all those measurements for the orders processed for the last month and see if you are above or below your goal of '90% within 2 days'. If not, then you may need to document some action to take to improve until you are hitting your goal, or maybe you realize it is unrealistic or too expensive to meet that goal, so you then revise the goal downward (e.g., '90% in a week or less').

I assume that the QHSE objectives you have set are measurable? If so, then you simply need to measure those and again, periodically, review the measurable data and see if you are meeting your objectives or not.

These activities of collecting measurements and analyzing them, are what 9.1.3 are about. But note that 9.1.3 also lists specific areas that analysis must be applied to, such as external suppliers (9.1.3f). As a supplier of all those industrial products to your customers, you probably deal with many suppliers of your own, and 9001 requires you to monitor your external suppliers on an ongoing basis. You get to choose the specific criteria to evaluate them on, so lets say you choose "on-time" and "defect%". So, you set a target of 90% on-time and 1% defect rate. Then, you measure every shipment for if it is on-time (i.e., when they said it would arrive) or not, and also measure the number of defective items you have to return to them. Total up the measurements monthly (for example) and see if the supplier is meeting the targets or not. If not, then you may need to take action with the supplier so they improve.

Those are a couple of examples. Since every company is different and ha different priorities, the standard allows you a lot of freedom in choosing what to measure. Just be sure that you are collecting enough data to evaluate all the areas a-g in 9.1.3. And also, remember that the quality objectives you selected in 6.2 are being measured (6.2b) and the data analyzed/reviewed periodically (6.2e) too.

Thank you very much for your valuable contribution. I really appreciate you taking out time to explain this in detail. It would go a long way in helping us tackle some of the problems we are currently faced with in the company.

Top Bottom