More Control Plan Questions - Control Plans by Process

M

marcost

Control Plans

Hello everybody,

I have a doubt about making a control plan. In our company we have control plans made by process, but the operators doesn't have copies of those. We are not certified by QS and we dont need to, but we sell eletric motors to industries that produces washes machines and this area is auditing us based on this concepts of APQP. We are trying to make our quality system aligned with the QS.

But my main question is about how to make the control plan, and if is necessary the operator have a copy. We have a lot of other procedures detailing the informations ..

I am sending attached a model of our control plan. But we dont call like that, we just call TGP, its another procedure.

Attachments

• Control Plan TGP-0008 ING.doc
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,897

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Marcost, I have seen (and used) many different types of control plans. Some only listed the measureable characteristics of the product and their controls/inspection techniques and frequencies. Some were very detailed step by step processes that had the characteristics at each "task".

First of all, you need to make sure what you are doing works for you. Then you need to evaluate your system to be sure it complies with the quality system standard (ISO?) Then you need to evaluate what your customer requires (sometimes the toughest)

If your customer requires that you use "QS" type forms, you can purchase workbooks and e-worksheets from AIAG. They are not horribly expensive and can provide a lot of information for you. The nice thing about the electronic worksheets is that each form used in QS is linked to all the others so you can save some data entry time.

With the advent of TS and demise of QS, you can probably get better information from some of our automotive folks here. I've been out of the automotive sector for 3 years and really have not kept up with it.

Good luck!

N

noboxwine

Think Food !

My history only shows a value to Control Plans when they are complete from start to finish. Example: Think about baking a cake. The CP is the recipe you need to make a good cake. Utensils, pans, ingredients, times, temperatures, etc. In all my travels in automotive, I have used this approach with a lot of success. If you do it, it should be on the CP. And those closest to the process should have easy access to them. The test: Starting at the dock where goods are received, and walk the entire process, with the CP as your ONLY guide. You should end up later at the dock with a good product, packaged and ready for delivery.

Sounds quirky, but it works, and the AIAG format will easily let this method work well.

Hope this helps and let us know how you do ! :bigwave:

S

sm1506

About Control Plan and DCP??

Hi, :)
I'm pretty new to this forum. I've been going through the queries all the time in and around the forum..but found not much information on DCP. i've referred to the AIAG APQP manual, but again, this would be our primary source for information, not much information. i would to have my queries listed down, :confused: Hope with this, all my queries would be cleared.

1. coming to the DCP, AIAG gives DCP as one which refers to the whole plan of a manufacturing Industry.
DCP=FMEA + Special Product/process characteristics+ methods (MSA, SPC..etc)
2. AIAG manual gives a control plan, a DCP and an Operator copy. is the DCP different from control plan? if so, whats the difference?
what i can c is the same content for both control plan and dynamic control plan.
-Control plan includes product/process characteristics, DCP also has that.
-control plan includes control methods used, DCP has that.
3. Does DCP cover the whole manufacturing process right from the design,manufacturing, quality, packaging and supply or just the manufacturing process for the particular product?
-For example: considering Plastic injection moulding process which is used for producing plastic products. Does DCP covers the whole plastic injection moulding, Quality and packaging or just the injection moulding process and its characteristics.
In this case whats the difference between a control plan and DCP (because control plan already covers the items which DCP covers)
4. If suppose my company produces 20 different parts with different procedures, in this case, do i need to have 20FMEA's, 20 control plans and one DCP?
5. If the DCP covers the whole process, why not we or the industry has a specific format with respect to a process, for example, for the Metal Stamping process, we have a control plan format, similarly for plastic moulding, tool/die fabrication etc. that would be a benchmarking for the one who prepares a control plan..its easy to identify and incorporate items specific to the columns.

sorry to really shoot u at the very first time with so many questions :bonk: ..but this forms the real basic understanding of DCP...looking forward to hear from a good and opinion of members of this group....
thx and regards
SM

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
sm1506 said:
Hi, :)
I'm pretty new to this forum. I've been going through the queries all the time in and around the forum..but found not much information on DCP. i've referred to the AIAG APQP manual, but again, this would be our primary source for information, not much information. i would to have my queries listed down, :confused: Hope with this, all my queries would be cleared.

sorry to really shoot u at the very first time with so many questions :bonk: ..but this forms the real basic understanding of DCP...looking forward to hear from a good and opinion of members of this group....
thx and regards
SM
Welcome to the cove,

As far as I understand it DCP is the Ford methodolgy, if you look at page 83 of the AIAG book, it says that Ford is using in some operations.

Unless specifically asked for it you can use the standard control plan.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Welcome to the Cove SM1506 :bigwave:

Howard is correct. The D ynamic C ontrol P lan is a Ford methodology which adds, basically, the Gage R&R and capability ratio "stuff" to the "basic" Control Plan. GM also used to use a similar format.

If I understand your questions correctly, the Control Plan should embrace your Process Flow from receipt of raw materials through receipt of product at your customer, including transport, storage, and inspection steps. What your customer is (should be?) interested in is your manufacturing process flow.

Regarding the "20 different parts" question - it is up to you. If the 20 different parts are similar enough to each other (family of parts) you might be able to get by with one PFMEA and Control Plan to cover all 20 parts. If, on the other hand, your parts are different enough that there is a different Process Flow, or there are different characteristics, you may be better served to have a separate, PFMEA and CP for each part.

I hope that helps out some. Please don't be shy in asking if you're questions haven't been answered to your satisfaction.

Good luck!!!
Bill

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Bill Ryan said:
If I understand your questions correctly, the Control Plan should embrace your Process Flow from receipt of raw materials through receipt of product at your customer, including transport, storage, and inspection steps. What your customer is (should be?) interested in is your manufacturing process flow.
I'm a customer. I'm as interested in storage, inspection, packaging, shipping, as I am in the supplier's method of manufacture. Whether in the case of custom products made to my design or "standard" or commodity materials like fasteners, electronic connectors, switches, etc., sometimes the care of the product between the end of the manufacturing process and the time it gets to my dock is paramount. I've seen a lot of products which deteriorated in storage or were damaged in transit because of poor planning on the part of the supplier.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Wes Bucey said:
I'm a customer. I'm as interested in storage, inspection, packaging, shipping, as I am in the supplier's method of manufacture. Whether in the case of custom products made to my design or "standard" or commodity materials like fasteners, electronic connectors, switches, etc., sometimes the care of the product between the end of the manufacturing process and the time it gets to my dock is paramount. I've seen a lot of products which deteriorated in storage or were damaged in transit because of poor planning on the part of the supplier.
:agree: That's what I was trying to say. The phrase "manufacturing process flow" was inappropriate. I was merely trying to say that I don't "clutter up" our Control Plans by including the "take the customer's order" or the "billing of the customer" types of processes (I don't know if that helps clarify or not ;)).

Bill

S

sm1506

Dcp

thx a bunch for all ur answers....!!

now out of the conversation, i can make out that everything depends on the customer's requirements. Now, is it that we have to produce the DCP to the customer after the manufacturing and before the delivery of the product?

Also, Mr.Bill Ryan, the basic control plan in the AIAG manual is different when compared with the DCP. the DCP looks like adding FMEA with Gage R&R.

Can i get an example DCP copy? that would really serve my purpose....
Thx and regards
SM

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bill Ryan - 2007

sm1506 said:
Also, Mr.Bill Ryan, the basic control plan in the AIAG manual is different when compared with the DCP. the DCP looks like adding FMEA with Gage R&R.SM
Once again, I stand corrected :bonk:. You are right.

We don't supply Ford directly so I don't have an example for you. I thought I might be able to print one out from my software but, since I call out inspection actions as a separate processing step, nothing "fills in" to the "Control Plan" areas of the DCP. I'll see if I can slap a short one together today (time permitting).

Bill

Top Bottom