More ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 Integration Questions

L

Luke Hannant

Futher questions on ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 integration

I have read through the various threads on ISO 14001 and ISO 9001 integration. From what I can see the integration of these 2 systems will result in an overall reduction of documentation of the 2 systems, amongst other benefits. The company I am currently helping to implement ISO 14001 is also ISO 900x certified (athough is seems to be in shambles).

Can anyone help answer the following questions:

During Certification of ISO 14001, to what level will the ISO 9001 part be audited and evaluated by the register? Will only the common elements be investigated, or will the 2 systems be considered as one, and therefore throughly evaluated?

Do the internal auditors have to be certified to audit both systems?

I apologise for the simplicity of these questions, but I am an absolute beginner to ISO 900x (and ISO 14001 some might argue! )

;)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Depends..

Hi luke,
During Certification of ISO 14001, to what level will the ISO 9001 part be audited and evaluated by the register? Will only the common elements be investigated, or will the 2 systems be considered as one, and therefore throughly evaluated?
In a 14001 audit, 9001 will be disregarded. Only the elements relevant to 14001 will be investigated.
Do the internal auditors have to be certified to audit both systems?
No. I have a number of auditors: Right now only a few of them are qualified to audit both 9001 and 14001. (That will change as we intend to combine EMS and QMS into one system).
I apologise for the simplicity of these questions, but I am an absolute beginner to ISO 900x (and ISO 14001 some might argue! )
There is no need to apologise. The only dumb thing with any question would be not to ask, so fire away.

/Claes

Randy

Super Moderator
Luke,

Claes is right on. The integration thing comes in by not re-inventing the wheel. Use as many of the existing elements of your 9K system as possible i.e., Doc Control, Internal Audits, Management Review, etc. Then spend your time on the 9K specific stuff like Aspects, O&T's and all that.

P.S.

Nice web-site Claes:bigwave:

Randy

Super Moderator
Very good chart there Marc, but.....there are purists that will say that you are going into overkill with the checked items. There are quite a few procedures, records and directives that are not specifically required to be written. I have no problem myself, but there will be some ninny try to toss bullfritters at ya I'll bet.

P.S
I will use it as a reference myself.;)

L

Luke Hannant

Nice one marc,

That's the first time I have seen the term "Directives". What excatly does it mean? :confused:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Directives are "Ye Shall's" as far as I understand it in this context. Randy?

Yeah, Randy, someone sent that to me at some time - I think it was keyed to ISO9K:1994. It someone decides to tear me up I'll throw them to an expert - YOU! Feel free to make changes and upload.

Here's another one I got somewhere.

Attachments

Randy

Super Moderator
I always look at 4.1 as the 1st requirement to be met "establish and maintain". Eveything else tells you how to do it.

Directive is a pretty good term, it has the feel of an absolute, no if's, and's or but's. The word "shall" leaves no room for guessing, if you don't do the 'shalls" don't waste your time on anything else.

Like I said, this is a good simple chart & so is the other one. I guess you'll be plagerized here Marc:eek:

JodiB

Still plugging along
The other direction.....

Talk is usually about companies integrating an EMS into an existing QMS or perhaps trying to tackle both at the same time.

Has anyone encountered the opposite case? A company who has an EMS and is now looking to develop (and integrate) a QMS?Companies related to the oil industry (and the oil companies themselves) are likely to go in this direction.

What would be the differences? Anything? While it seems simple enough to say "do a gap, add what you need to comply to the new standard", I'm just not sure what else is missing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna IAF Ruling - No more ISO 9001:2008 nor ISO 14001:2004 audits after 2018-03-15 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T ISO 14001:2015 cover more than 1 company or business unit? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 13
N Technical File Reviewer has requested more testing to ISO 10993 Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
M ISO/TS 16949:2009 Follow-up Audit Visits to create more Revenue IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
P Can anyone give any declaration or something stating that ISO 13488 is no more ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q ISO 9001 vs. TL9000 - Which standard is more applicable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Adding More Procedures than are Required by ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Ever come across an ISO 9001 certificate with more than 3 years validity period? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
Hershal For accredited labs that expect more - Certification of ISO/IEC 17025 assessors ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Documentation required for AS9003 registration - More than for ISO 9001? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
A Why is that ISO 9001 QMS lasts no more than 18 months in an organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A The new ISO 9001 QMS create more management criticism ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
B ISO 9001:1994 more user friendly than ISO 9001:2000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
D Question about ISO 9001 Registrar Audit Checklist - No more checklists? General Auditing Discussions 9
C ISO 9001 Registration Audit - How can I make this a more enriching experience? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
C TS 16949 vs. ISO 9001 - Differences - TS 16949 has more requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
CarolX Is ISO 9001 More of a Hindrance than Help? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A The more ISO 9000:2000 registered companies the better? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 16
J Is ISO 9001 more focused on production and TQM more on Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Guide 25 vs. ISO17025 - Substantially more requirements in ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 12
R More on the approval of ISO 9001 : 2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K More than one importer for the same device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Two or more predicates suitable? 510K submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
M UDI-PI on a package that contains more devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational Update – MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – 2 more NBs designated under the new regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B More than one Risk Report per Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Ed Panek Can a single supplier fit two or more categories for risk? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Sidney Vianna More allegations of unethical behavior in the Aerospace Sector AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Informational FDA Panel: Too early to pull textured breast implants over cancer risk, need more data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M BSI – Want to know more about the Notified Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
Marc Renewables, led by wind, provided more power than coal in Germany in 2018 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
Marc Forums - "Watching" One or More Forums for New Threads and New Posts Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
A MSA When an Instrument Measures More than One Parameter Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
M Vernier Calibrations & more General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
bobdoering Contingency Plans Likely to be Scrutinized More Now IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Q How can you justify using a more accurate Pin Gage class? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
JoshuaFroud Addressing wet ink signatures when more than one site is involved 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
G More on IATF 8.5.6.1.1 - Temporary Change of Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Tool for Measuring - Do I have to do more than one Gage R&R for the PPAP? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
L How to get more Auditing Experience Career and Occupation Discussions 11
C Squeeze in one more - Rate of failure Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Is it possible to have more than one authorized representative in Saudi Arabia? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
somashekar People are more than just ?resources? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
ncwalker More Central Limit Theorem Questions Six Sigma 4
M More than canned audit check-sheets? Auditing the Engineering Department Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
Marc Explore - Movies, audios and more! An Online Library Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
B Share ideas to make Management Review more interesting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4