More Registrar Consolidation & Divestitures - July 2022

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Re: More Registrar Consolidation: UL and DQS to merge.

That was my first thought, as well. But since you joined this thread, let me ask you: how come we don't hear more news like this coming from the UK? You guys have the most traditional certification market in the World. The one which has been in place for over 30 years. So, why don't we hear more of mergers and acquisitions in the British MSC sector?

I'll be honest - most of the UK based CBs are either well established (and looking to buy smaller competitors rather than sell up) or international and you hear before we do! There are a few rumours of sale / merge about but either 1) they have no international presence or 2) we have been involved in bidding and are therefore subject to a non disclosure agreement - I'll let you know if and when it is complete.

Re the rest of the thread you are all right - cost cutting is not the answer - we are constantly being undercut on assessment (either through fewer days or cheaper day rates). Not much of a business model!

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

Not much of a business model!
Nope. While some believe they are in the business of issuing certificates, others realize that our business should be one of providing confidence.

As long as organizations requiring their suppliers to be certified, fail to keep suppliers and their CB's accountable when a certificate does not honestly represent the system at hand, the sellers of certificates will benefit, irrespective of what they charge for it.

Last edited:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Hello,

I just spoke with people from DQS and they told me that the reason for the merger was not any kind of cost cutting but to complement each other in different geographical regions. It is part of the DQS strategy to grow worldwide and to be able to serve large global companies. It sounds true because DQS is one of the most expensive registrars but they try to offer real value adding services. The difference is the quality of their auditors. I once asked for their competence citeria for aditors and they told me the auditor needs at least 5 years practical experience in the industry sector he´s auditing and, in adition, managerial experience. With better qualified auditors who really can add value during the audits, they have no problems to justify higher fees.:agree:

As a DQS auditor, based in the USA, I can say the office informed us there is no chnage in assignments or auditor requirements at this time. The stated intent was to broaden and strengthen the reach of both agencies, which complement each other. I do concur the focus they stress to us is on excellent auditors providing value-added audits.

J

Josey Wales

I couldn't agree more

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource

As a DQS auditor, based in the USA, I can say the office informed us there is no chnage in assignments or auditor requirements at this time. The stated intent was to broaden and strengthen the reach of both agencies, which complement each other. I do concur the focus they stress to us is on excellent auditors providing value-added audits.
Now you can call me a cynic (don't all rush, there's plenty of time) .... have you ever heard of a merger where the new body said they were looking to reduce the level of service and turn customers away! :lol:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS131307+01-Sep-2009+PRN20090901

DEKRA Acquires Part of Testing and Certification Business From KEMA

ARNHEM, The Netherlands and STUTTGART, Germany, September 1 /PRNewswire/
-- The European leading expert organisation DEKRA and globally active energy consulting, testing & certification firm KEMA from the Netherlands agreed on the sale of a part of KEMA's testing and certification business. KEMA Quality tests and certifies low voltage equipment and electrical components, electronical and medical products as well as management systems. KEMA Quality has about 600 employees and generated annual revenues of 60 million Euro in 2008. The company operates testing laboratories in the Netherlands, Germany, Italy and China. 19 locations on three continents highlight KEMA Quality's strong international presence. Dr. h.c. Klaus Schmidt, Chairman of the Management Board of DEKRA e.V. and DEKRA AG, says: "With this acquisition we are setting a strong signal in the growing market of product testing & certification." Pier Nabuurs, Chairman of the Executive Board of KEMA: "With this divestiture, KEMA will now focus even stronger on growth in its core activities in the energy value chain."
Through this acquisition DEKRA, leading testing organisation in Europe,
is significantly expanding its position in the area of product testing and
certification. For instance, DEKRA is acquiring an internationally recognised
testing brand: KEMA-KEUR. KEMA Quality holds a big variety of accreditations that cover all relevant standards. With the acquisition DEKRA significantly strengthens its business unit DEKRA Industrial, which currently employs 4,500 people.
With this transaction, KEMA is emphasising its strategy of focusing on
business, technical & operational energy consulting, as well as quality
assurance, inspections and operational support in the energy sector,
including the testing & certification of high-voltage equipment and
components. The company has a leading position worldwide in several fields in the energy value chain and has shown a strong growth of its business in the last number of years. KEMA sells its subsidiary to DEKRA, a company that is pursuing a sustainable growth strategy in the industrial and product testing business, and that offers KEMA Quality ideal development opportunities. The portfolios of KEMA Quality and DEKRA complement each other perfectly with respect to the range of services and geographical coverage.

C

Cem Onus

Intertek in Discussion with DNV for Systems Certification Business

November 20, 2009

Intertek Group plc (“Intertek”), the leading provider of quality and safety services to a wide range of industries around the world, today announces that it is in discussions with Det Norske Veritas (“DNV”) in relation to acquiring the vast majority of its Business Assurance division. It is expected that the consideration will be settled in Intertek shares, resulting in DNV becoming a substantial shareholder in Intertek. The revenue of the business that may be acquired is expected to be approximately £200 million in 2009.

DNV Business Assurance is a global leader in systems certification and with this acquisition Intertek would become one of the top three international systems certification providers, with the scale necessary to provide a seamless global service. Intertek believes that the acquisition would facilitate attractive growth opportunities for the Group. There is clear potential to provide DNV Business Assurance’s range of auditing services, including systems certification, to Intertek’s clients and to provide Intertek’s broad portfolio of quality and safety services to DNV Business Assurance’s clients. The combination of DNV Business Assurance and Intertek’s product certification would also provide a compelling offering to local and global manufacturers, retailers and traders.

Discussions between the two companies are ongoing and due diligence is under way. Further announcements will be made as appropriate.

AndyN

Moved On

Intertek in Discussion with DNV for Systems Certification Business

November 20, 2009

Intertek Group plc (“Intertek”), the leading provider of quality and safety services to a wide range of industries around the world, today announces that it is in discussions with Det Norske Veritas (“DNV”) in relation to acquiring the vast majority of its Business Assurance division. It is expected that the consideration will be settled in Intertek shares, resulting in DNV becoming a substantial shareholder in Intertek. The revenue of the business that may be acquired is expected to be approximately £200 million in 2009.

DNV Business Assurance is a global leader in systems certification and with this acquisition Intertek would become one of the top three international systems certification providers, with the scale necessary to provide a seamless global service. Intertek believes that the acquisition would facilitate attractive growth opportunities for the Group. There is clear potential to provide DNV Business Assurance’s range of auditing services, including systems certification, to Intertek’s clients and to provide Intertek’s broad portfolio of quality and safety services to DNV Business Assurance’s clients. The combination of DNV Business Assurance and Intertek’s product certification would also provide a compelling offering to local and global manufacturers, retailers and traders.

Discussions between the two companies are ongoing and due diligence is under way. Further announcements will be made as appropriate.

What's the Source?

Top Bottom