Motivation of Internal Auditors - Anyone have any good ideas?

M

M Greenaway

Motivation

Anyone got any good ideas/experiences of broaching the subject of motivation in an internal audit report.

I personally think this is a huge factor in quality, yet one that is not normally considered in internal audit (maybe it will be more so in the 2000 version of the standard).

Or should we steer clear of mentioning motivation itself, and look for the reasons why people are not motivated ?

(I may have just answered my own question there - but do post any comments as we havent had a new thread in here for some time !)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

Michael T

Clarification?

Martin,

What do you mean? Lack of motivation by the auditors or the auditors noticing a lack of motivation by shop floor personnel? I can think of a great many reasons why people wouldn't be motivated... :confused:

Cheers!

E

energy

Re: Motivation

M Greenaway said:

Anyone got any good ideas/experiences of broaching the subject of motivation in an internal audit report.

I personally think this is a huge factor in quality, yet one that is not normally considered in internal audit (maybe it will be more so in the 2000 version of the standard).

Or should we steer clear of mentioning motivation itself, and look for the reasons why people are not motivated ?

(I may have just answered my own question there - but do post any comments as we havent had a new thread in here for some time !)
Okay, I'll bite. Determination of motivation is like judging someone's appearance. They may look sloppy to you but the clothing is practical for their position. It's more about your "Mores". (I hope I spelled it right). Respectively, who are you or anybody else to judge my motivation? You can't read my mind and my actions may or not be motivated for different reasons. My motivation may be to get the badge only, to improve the QMS or just get through an audit so I can come back here and read your excellent posts. Motivation is in the eyes of the beholder and not something that you can rate with certainty. Obviously if I fall asleep while you are lecturing me on my lack of motivation, you may have something there. But, I could also just be hung over, like every Thursday. JMHO:ko: :smokin:

M

M Greenaway

Mike

I was talking about motivation of the auditee's, not the auditors.

Motivation can be easily judged energy. I am thinking of a case in point where I was auditing the warehouse facility. Every employee I spoke to whined about the conditions they were working under, and such things like promised pay rises based on performance that never materialised, hence they no longer give a ****.

This is very real, how should it be broached in an audit report as it is very detrimental to quality ?

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Not only do you think that motivation is important but
6.2.2.4 Employee motivation and empowerment

The organization shall have a process to motivate employees to achieve quality objectives, to make continual
improvements, and to create an environment to promote innovation. The process shall include the promotion of
quality and technological awareness throughout the whole organization.
The organization shall have a process to measure the extent to which its personnel are aware of the relevance and
importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives [see 6.2.2 d)].
TS16949
This is from VDA 6.1 which is the original for this demand
04.6 Are there measures for the motivation and promotion of quality awareness?

Explanation of terms:
"Motivation" means the readiness of employees to perform well.
"Quality awareness" is shown by the attitude of individual employees to quality issues."
Requirements/Explanation:
The continuous improvement of quality awareness in all organizational units
may be achieved, for example, through:
- Improvement suggestions
- Quality circles
- Zero defect programs
- Poster campaigns, competitions
- Training, information meetings
- Awards
- Workshops.
The quality and performance capabilities of a company are not only dependent on the technical and organizational capabilities and the business resources, but far more so, on the qualification and readiness of employees to perform well.
Does this help?

M

Michael T

Hmmmmm....

Howard Atkins said:

6.2.2.4 Employee motivation and empowerment

The organization shall have a process to motivate employees to achieve quality objectives, to make continual
improvements, and to create an environment to promote innovation. The process shall include the promotion of
quality and technological awareness throughout the whole organization.
The organization shall have a process to measure the extent to which its personnel are aware of the relevance and
importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives [see 6.2.2 d)].
Howard,

Where did this come from?

Thanks!

M

M Greenaway

Thanks Howard.

We are actually intending to gain TS16949:2002 approval some day, so i'll get the buggers then, er I will help the organisation improve then.

M

Michael T

I see now...

Thanks Howard! I couldn't tell which quote was from what and I don't have a copy of that standard. I am sometimes easily confused... :ko:

No Martin, I don't work in that type of organization. Wish I did. Just this morning an employee was grousing about not getting a raise this past year. In trying to cast his percieved problem in a different light, I asked him if he knew anyone who was laid off during this recession. He, of course, indicated that he knew quite a few people. I then asked him if he knew anyone who was about to be laid off. Again, he indicated he knew some people who were slated for the chopping block. I simply asked, "It's good not to be them, isn't it?"

While I don't believe that this motivated the employee in any way, shape or form, I hope it caused him to think about his situation with a little more global perspective.

Motivation is a difficult thing. There are a lot of seminars and workshops, etc. out there that try to say they can teach you how to motivate people. I don't buy it. I believe that management cannot motivate one single solitary individual. Not in the long-term. Sure, I can motivate someone to do something with the carrot & stick approach or the whip and chains approach. But that is purely short-term and has no lasting effect. IMO, motivation has to come from within the individual. The only way management can tap into that intrinsic motivation is to make sure the working environment is condusive to allow that motivation to work.

Can this work? Sure. I've seen it. The only problem is the environment was allowed to slide back to status-quo and motivation was worse than it ever was.

Now - to answer your original question - under ISO, motivation is not an auditable item. Can it be mentioned? I think it depends upon the rapport you have with the auditee. If you have good working relations - you might mention it off to the side, but not as an item in the exit briefing. As Energy said - employee motivation is subjective. What may appear to be "motivated" to one person may be apathy to another.

FWIW, I hope this helps.

Cheers!!

M

M Greenaway

Interesting Michael.

I guess the organisation should discover what motivates an individual, and then ensure that the person is suitably motivated.

Difficult I would imagine if the motivation is purely money !!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Motivation for IQA (Internal Quality Audit) Auditors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
J Problems with our internal auditors having a lack of motivation Internal Auditing 1
M Employee Motivation 7.3.2 & Training including Awareness 7.2.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Quality Awareness Slides for Employee Motivation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Employee Motivation and Empowerment - TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
K What Drives Motivation in the Modern Workplace? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
M Motivation: High or Low Salary? Career and Occupation Discussions 39
P Self Motivation - How to keep it when overwhelmed with problems? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
U Motivation and Empowerment - TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2.4 Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Best method for Demonstrating Employee Motivation (6.2.2.4) Compliance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Feedback from reading Jennifer Kirley's suggested 'motivation' reading links The Reading Room 2
S Keeping Employee Self-Motivation Strong Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 23
M Help with research - impact of TQM on employee motivation in working environment Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
L Employee motivation and empowerment - Please some practical methods IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
F Meeting Requirements of TS 16949 Cl 6.2.2.4 - Employee motivation and empowerment. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
L How do you accomplish TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2.4? Employee Motivation and Awareness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A How do you Measure Operator Motivation / Morale? Our Auditor wants Documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 39
Dave.C Measurement of Employee Motivation and Awareness - TS16949 Clause 6.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
M How to improve Operator Motivation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 23
E ISO/TS16949 - Seeking refresher material as well as a motivation tool Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
A MOtivation in CQE Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
S Employee motivation and empowerment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
I Measuring 6.2.2.4 Employee Awareness and Motivation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Capt. Bob - A new Guru for us? Motivation Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 13
I Our items for employee motivation - 6.2.2.4 Employee Motivation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 29
R Innovation - TS 16949 requirement? Clause 6.2.2.4 Employee Motivation and Empowerment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Employee Motivation - MEASURE only? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
R TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2.4 - Employee Motivation and Empowerment Procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 29
Y Team Building Exercise - Training that boosts group motivation level Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
I TS 16949 - 6.2.2.4 Employee motivation & empowerment. Can somebody provide me example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
B Employee Motivation and Process Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 3
K Section 6.2.2.4 - Employee Motivation and Empowerment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
Kevin Mader Does money motivate? The topic of Motivation came up in a discussion Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 67
A Project Motivation as a Graph Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
D ISO 16949 Clause 4.1.6 - Employee motivation in a low skilled workforce Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 20
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17