Moving Range charts and capability?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
OK, I'm out of my area of expertise...like way out!

Can a process capability be figured on a moving range with a lower specification limit but no upper?

The situation:
Once again, instead of finding a root cause, finger pointing is happening. We are producing nonconforming material for yield results during physical property testing (tensile tests). The metallurgy dept. states that our tensile tester must be goofed up, but looking at a moving range chart really does not show anything alarming other than the fact that the specification is 44000 min. and our Xbar is 46000. Coupled with the fact that we just performed calibration on the machine and extensometers, I tend to say the problem lies with our processing not our testing.

Can anyone give me any other thoughts on how to prove that we either need to adjust our chemistries or our rolling processes and forget about the tensile tester as being the cause? Or if I take my charts to the next product quality team meeting, will they be sufficient?

My only in-depth SPC experience deals only with sizes using subgroups and that have both an upper and lower specification, so I am not really confident with my knowledge of single reading, single specification statistics.

Thanks guys and gals, I know someone out there can point me in the right direction.:confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Steel,

I'm not sure I understand your problem completely, but here's a shot at it anyway since no one else has jumped in. Cp can still be calculated on a unilateral tolerance as (mean - LSL)/(3*std. dev.) or for you (46000 - 44000)/ 3 sigma.

I'm very familiar with the test being blamed when the product starts to look iffy, so I can appreciate your dilemma. I assume you don't have samples from a previous "good" batch that you could test today to see if the results repeat? I learned long ago (the hard way) to keep some "good" samples available for just such a possibility whenever possible. Until the issue of the measurement being bad is off the table, little progress will be made in other areas.

How about sending a sample quickly to someone else who has a tensile tester?

Darius

Quite Involved in Discussions
The process capability can not be figured on a XR chart, at least if you follow to the gurus of SPC, because they don't like specification limits into the SPC chart, they say that SPC has nothing to do with specification limits.

The traditional way to use the SPC chart is to know the within subgroup variation and the between subgroup variation of the variable and to show patterns into the data that help to understand the process variation and show how to control it.

The traditional way to show capability is with histograms, with the specs into it, there are other ways but almost the same, I like box plot's across the time (each box for each period of time) so it's like having histograms one in front of the other to show the trends across the time (I have seen box plot charts that show the highest values at the beginning of the month and lowest at the end because of the calibration of the measurement equipment).

I don't know about tensile tests, but it may be that the distribution is not normal, Wheeler say that the translation between cpk and ppm, the better must not be done because of the lack of normality and assumplions of the data, so the way to obtain ppm is just count the data points outside of the spec limit and calculate the % of non conforming units, and if you like capability index and you have a single specification, my recomendation is to use Cpmk (because Cpk don't behave fine on one spec conditions), you can chart it (the index) and see if any significant changes in the capability happen.

If "the metallurgy dept. states that our tensile tester must be goofed up", the control charts could be of help if you show that the behaviur is the same across the time (using control charts from different periods or a long period of time including the period that the tester suppouse to be working ok), but I preffer the box plot.

I hope this may help

:bigwave:

Last edited:
C

Chris May

Steel,

not much time left today, but you could do worse than have a look at www.sytsma.com/tqmtools.

Lots of useful stuff about control charts in general.

Sorry this is brief, but I have to dash.

Hope it helps...a bit.

Regards,

Chris

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
OK, latest update. Number one, I impressed a few people by my knowledgeable presentation;) Maybe they thought I was just another pretty face?:ko:

By the time I got done plotting, graphing, analysing I pretty much was able to pinpoint exactly where we shifted the process. (not that the capability was great before then:bonk: ) And once I started mentioning the lot numbers I found out that we stopped checking finishing temperatures about that time as "someone" felt it was not important what temp we finished at as long as we met dimensional tolerances.

Gosh I love it when a plan comes together! Thanks for all the assistance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Manix Moving Range or Range Charts for Subgrouped Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S How MR (Moving Range) in Z-MR chart is calculated Using Minitab Software 5
M SPC, Moving Range Chart and Weighted Graph Basic Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D IMR (Individuals and Moving Range) Chart for Short-Run SPC - How much data to include Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M When a moving range is 0, is it acceptable to have a PP/PPK of 0 also? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
B Individuals 2 Point Moving Range Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Moving Range Upper and Lower Control Limits when alpha=0.002 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Individuals and Moving Range Chart problem Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
E Moving Range Average Calculation in Excel (in a single cell only). Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
A Individual/Moving Range Chart (IMR Chart) in Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 8
E Formulas and Constants - Control Limits for Individual and Moving Range Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A SPC Rules Question for Moving Range chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Individual or Moving Range Chart? Parts run in lots of 7 with 4 key wall thicknesses Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
qualprod What do CB´s change when doing a partial moving ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
A Moving and positioning of patient - Mechanical hazard IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 18
D Company Moving - Relabelling Question Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Jen Kirley Moving on - I accepted an offer to be a Supplier Quality Engineer at GE Healthcare Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 42
S Moving from client-server to cloud-based, is that a new submission? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
M How to calculate benefits? Moving some developed non controlled software/automation systems Service Industry Specific Topics 2
Ed Panek Moving from Contract Manufacturing to Production In-House ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
supadrai What to expect when moving to higher-risk medical devices? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N How is documentation affected moving to an electronic system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
L Moving from ProArc to IFS Document Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Sister Company Moving to AS - First time "consultant" - Help? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
I Moving into Clinical Trials and need to find GMP Suppliers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Moving (Transition) From ISO 14001:2004 to ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
P Moving from a Paper based Quality System to an Electronic Quality System Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
S Validation requirement after moving labeling data base to different drive Software Quality Assurance 7
Q REACH due dilligence and meeting the ever moving SVHC target RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
C Moving to a different Notified Body Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
R What Documentation is done by QA in FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
T Risk Analysis for moving manufacturing equipment ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 17
C ISO9001: Moving from site certification to corporate certification Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
T Moving a Calibration/Test Laboratory to a new Location General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R Moving from ISO 9001 to AS9120A Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Q Moving steps from ISO 9001 to TL 9000 TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 4
N Protective Earthing of Medical Device Moving Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
F Moving our Distribution Company - ISO 9001 Certification Impact ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N NCR and CAPA in the FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) Industry Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
D A2LA Certification and moving to a new Facility General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Moving to a New Company for a New Position Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
S Validation and Qualification when moving to another Facility Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
L Moving SPC Data from Variables to an Attributes Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Advice on moving QMS Documents and Maintaining Revision History Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
N Requirements when moving locations - Class 1 Medical Device Manufacturer in the US Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
D AS9100 Shop Moving to a New Location AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Moving On Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
C Test Correlation - Moving Test Equipment to a New Location Manufacturing and Related Processes 7