MR (Management Representative) Requirements and Responsibilites

W

Willyboy

I found a previous post dealing with the qualifications required to be a Management Representative. There was much helpful information, but I still have a few questions.

Our QMS states that “Management has appointed a member of management to be Management Representative who has the authority and responsibility for ensuring the processes needed for the QMS are established, implemented, measured and maintained. The Quality Assurance Coordinator has been appointed Management Representative.” (My bolding and italicizing.)

As we all know, clause 5.5.2 states that “Top management shall appoint a member of the organization's management who, irrespective of other responsibilities, shall have responsibility and authority that includes .....”

Is there an issue with 5.5.2 stating “Top management...” and our QMS simply stating “Management has...” (without reference to Top)? I ask this because our organizational chart has positions for a Board of Directors, a President/CEO, a Director of Program Operations, a Workshop Operations Manager, two Assistant Facility Managers, a Lead Program Manager and two Program Managers. All of these people supervise and/or manage someone else.

In the Introduction to ISO 9001:2008 it states that:
“The adoption of a quality management system should be a strategic decision of an organization. The design and implementation of an organization's quality management system is influenced by
a) its organizational environment, changes in that environment and risks associated with that environment,
b) its varying needs,
c) its particular objectives,
d) the products it provides,
e) the processes it employs,
f) it size and organizational structure.
It is not the intent of this International Standard to imply uniformity in the structure of quality management systems or uniformity of documentation.”

With the information provided in the 9001:2008 Introduction, it seems to me that this gives the organization a loop hole to set up their system with whomever they like from whatever position in the organization that they choose. Am I reading too much or too little into the Introduction?
-----
As previously mentioned, our QMS states that “Management has appointed a member of management to be Management Representative who has the authority and responsibility for ensuring the processes needed for the QMS are established, implemented, measured and maintained.

To me, the above statement gives the MR ALL the power that they need to make sure that all of the requirements of both the QMS and the customer's product requirements are being fulfilled. In my current opinion, the MR does not need to be specifically noted in the QMS procedures because they already have the authority and responsibility.

I am curious about this because in a previous post I mentioned that a job was botched from the very beginning. Our QA/MR is stating that he was not included in the design and setup of the processes because no one told him and/or asked him about the job. He states that his position should be noted in the Responsibilities section for our Procedures for the Contract Review and Process Setup for New Jobs. Our QMS Policy Manual sections for Planning of Product Realization and Customer Related Processes already include Management in the Responsibilities.

As always, any thoughts, comments and questions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: MR Requirements and Responsibilites

It's possible for the MR to ensure that processes are established, implemented, maintained, etc. and for a job to be "botched from the very beginning." What you're describing is lack of organization and as Deming put it, "constancy of purpose." There should be a standard method of developing new products and processes, with clear responsibility and authority defined. It's hard to tell from here whether your MR was actually left out of the loop or is just making excuses after something crashed and burned. The problem you're facing is one of leadership, and looking for loopholes* in the standard when something goes wrong isn't going to help anything. If your top management isn't prepared to pick up the slack and do something about the situation, putting someone's name or title in a procedure isn't likely to solve the problem.

*There's a story, perhaps apocryphal, about W.C. Fields on his deathbed. A friend comes to visit him and finds him reading the Bible. This would have been uncharacteristic behavior for Fields, and his friend asked him why he was doing it. "I'm looking for loopholes," replied Fields.

jkuil

Quite Involved in Discussions

The MR is responsible for the system by which the organisation designs and implements the QMS and ensures that the QMS meets the defined requirements adequately adressing the influences defined in ISO 9001:2008.

That does not mean the MR is responsible for the strategic decision the organisation is making regarding their quality objectives, that is a (top) management responsibility.
Neither does it mean that the MR is responsible for all tactic decisions: the development of processes, procedures and work instructions by which the quality objectives are ensured. These are the responsibility of the individual managers.

The MR is the linking pin between the QMS documents and the quality objectives. He monitors if the objectives are being met and are adequately being assured by the processes, procedures and work instruction.

W

Willyboy

It's hard to tell from here whether your MR was actually left out of the loop or is just making excuses after something crashed and burned.
Jim, in my opinion, he left himself out of the loop and is just making excuses.

The problem you're facing is one of leadership, and looking for loopholes* in the standard when something goes wrong isn't going to help anything. If your top management isn't prepared to pick up the slack and do something about the situation, putting someone's name or title in a procedure isn't likely to solve the problem.
For the "loophole" part of my post, I was referring to if an organization, given its size, organizational structure, etc., had to follow 5.5.2 and appoint a member of management, as opposed to, let's say, a non-management staff employee as the MR.

5.5.2 is very clear, but the Introduction muddies the requirement, at least to me it does.

The MR is responsible for the system by which the organisation designs and implements the QMS and ensures that the QMS meets the defined requirements adequately adressing the influences defined in ISO 9001:2008.
JKuil,
The part about "implements the QMS and ensures that the QMS meets the defined requirements" says to me that the QA/MR has both the authority and responsibility to step in and make sure that jobs are being done properly.

Am I catching on?

Thanks!

J

John Martinez

Jim, in my opinion, he left himself out of the loop and is just making excuses.

For the "loophole" part of my post, I was referring to if an organization, given its size, organizational structure, etc., had to follow 5.5.2 and appoint a member of management, as opposed to, let's say, a non-management staff employee as the MR.

5.5.2 is very clear, but the Introduction muddies the requirement, at least to me it does.

JKuil,
The part about "implements the QMS and ensures that the QMS meets the defined requirements" says to me that the QA/MR has both the authority and responsibility to step in and make sure that jobs are being done properly.

Am I catching on?

Thanks!
Willyboy - Responsibility without the Authority to implement is an equation for Frustration or Falure R-A=F

I see in your original post whether or not to use the word "Top". Do you have a copy of ISO 9000:2005? If so, look at definition of top management and organization.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Changes in ISO9001:2015 to the requirements for a management representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Management Representative Requirements and Responsibilities Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Management Representative Requirements - ISO 9001 - 5.5.2 Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Management Representative Requirements - ISO 9k2k Clause 5.5.2a interpretation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
J What are the Requirements for Management Representative? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Responsibility and Document Management Requirements for Management Representative IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Management Representative ensures the promotion of awareness of customer requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
L ISO 13485 5.5.2 - Can a consultant be our Management Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Who is the Management Representative in my company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S API Spec Q1 - How to define Management Representative competency for QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
S Management representative transition checklist IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
J AS9100D Management Representative AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
P How to identify the Management Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Audit of Management Representative Activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
S Quality Management Representative confusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L Who should be appointed as the Management Representative? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
C AS9100 Management Representative - Can it be an outsider? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Is a Management Representative still needed for ISO 13485:2015? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Difference between being a Management Representative and being a Lead Quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Management Representative is an Accountant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
T ISO 9001:2008 Management Representative and other Management Staff ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
x-files Matrix for: Established, implemented, maintained (5.5.2 Management Representative) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Do I need to notify the FDA of Management Representative changes? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
K Management Representative Responsibilities for Multiple Standards Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
R Distinction between Management Representative vs. Quality Manager Responsibilities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
eternal_atlas Audit of Management Representative Functions (ISO 9001 & OHSAS 18001) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
A Management Representative and Information Security Officer for ISO27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
M Is Management Representative a loose cannon or am I unnecessarily concerned? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
G Management Representative as Lead Auditor within a Company Internal Auditing 6
T Management Representative - Member of Management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
K Selection Criteria for choosing a Management Representative for QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P Can one Management Representative operate between two sister firms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 55
P Level of Management Representative in Organization Chart Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
P Level of Management Representative in an Organization Chart Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M New QMR (Quality Management Representative) in need of advice ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Is a Quality Representative (Management Representative) Designee Required? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 22
K Management Representative is NOT a member of Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 246
K More than One Management Representative? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Quality Management Representative - Does the QMR HAVE to be a member of management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Who does the Management Representative Report To? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
S Work as a QMR (Quality Management Representative) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
B Small Companies and the ISO 9001 Management Representative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
B Management Representative Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
E AS9100 - Is the Management Representative a Top Manager? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
N Management Representative - Specific Training Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 46
A MR (Management Representative) also doing Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 27
C Can an MR (Management Representative) be a Document Controller as well? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Z Involvement of Management representative (ISO 3834) in Quality Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7