MS Regulatory Affairs - Universities - Transition to Regulatory Affairs

D

decent

Hello All,

I have almost a year of experience in pre-clinical development dealing with CMC sections of NDA, IND and BLA. I am interested in transitioning to Regulatory Affairs. I want to pursue a MS and cannot decide which ones I should consider. I am currently working full time. So I will only be looking for an online masters. Also, my company would pay around $ 10,000 a year for tuition reimbursement. Given the facts, the universities that I am considering and the reasons are listed below. Please advice.

1. Johns Hopkins University
The program is good. It is very expensive though. The only reason I would want to go to JHU is for the name and reputation. I am not sure how it will really help me get a job or in near future. Does it really matter 5 years from now, if I get a degree from JHU. Also, the program is from the College of Professional studies. It is not from the School of Medicine.

2. University of Maryland, School of Pharmacy
This program has 5 courses (6 credits each). And you have to take them one after another. There is very little flexibility with the courses. But It would be nice to have a degree from a School of Pharmacy. The tuition is cheaper too. It comes to around $ 31,000

3. North-Eastern University
I have been thinking about this program. It is very flexible and convenient. It is quite cheap too. ($28,000).
4. Massachussetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
This program is the cheapest of all. Not sure about the reputation and if I will be able to get jobs

I have noticed some universities have changed their degrees to Regulatory Science, instead of Regulatory Affairs. Why is that ?I have also thought about USC, Temple and UGA. But those just didn?t appeal to me. I would appreciate any help. I want to start a Masters soon. I need to make a decision ASAP. Also, does it really matter where you obtain your Masters in Regulatory Affairs ?

Thanks,
Decent.

dr1vn

Involved In Discussions
I'm not from the US, so I can't speak to the schools you have listed... But, when I transitioned to Regulatory I selected a program that had a high job placement rate. I ended up choosing a place that had an internship component so that I was guaranteed a job afterwards so I could build up my RA cred. Education, although important, can't beat experience. It's the difference between saying you know what an FMEA is and saying "in my previous position I completed an FMEA."

D

decent

Decent,

Its your choice but I would have picked Northeastern University if I was you :)
Hi Ajit,

Is NEU really good in terms of placements after graduation. Note that I am working in a pharmaceutical company and will be doing the MS completely online. Do you think I should consider other factors.

D

decent

I'm not from the US, so I can't speak to the schools you have listed... But, when I transitioned to Regulatory I selected a program that had a high job placement rate. I ended up choosing a place that had an internship component so that I was guaranteed a job afterwards so I could build up my RA cred. Education, although important, can't beat experience. It's the difference between saying you know what an FMEA is and saying "in my previous position I completed an FMEA."
Thank you dr1vn,

I will keep that advice in mind. But I really cannot look for the internship part now as I am working full time. I am looking for a MS which is completely online. I am a protein biochemistry research associate. I wanna move into Regulatory Affairs department.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Hi Ajit,

Is NEU really good in terms of placements after graduation. Note that I am working in a pharmaceutical company and will be doing the MS completely online. Do you think I should consider other factors.

I have known many of my RA friends who have passed out from NEU.

D

decent

Do you think it would really matter where I get my MS Regulatory Affairs from. From the colleges I have listed above.

dr1vn

Involved In Discussions
Thank you dr1vn,

I will keep that advice in mind. But I really cannot look for the internship part now as I am working full time. I am looking for a MS which is completely online. I am a protein biochemistry research associate. I wanna move into Regulatory Affairs department.

I also did the research associate to Regulatory transition. My course was only 8 months with a four month paid internship, so it was a bit tough for that period, but definitely worth it in the end. And, having the science background helps when it comes to clinical trials.

If you don't mind me asking, what motivated you to do the switch?

Good luck!

D

decent

I guess RA is much more dynamic. You get to see the entire development of the drug through all stages. I feel it is much better than just research.

Top Bottom