SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

MS Windows - Bagle-A Virus Alert - 18 Jan 2004

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
MS Windows Virus Alert

F.Y.I.

Our IT guys have just issued the following warning.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 19 January 2004 09:23

Subject: VIRUS ALERT

All,

If you receive a warning that you have received a virus called [email protected], you will notice that there will be an email titled ‘hi’ in your inbox. Please delete this email(s) and do not open it.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Virus Alert

Thank's Geoff. That warning seems like a good idea.

Symantec provides the following info:

symantec said:
Discovered on: January 18, 2004 [email protected] is a mass-mailing worm that will only work until 28th of January. This worm will insert several files and registry keys on the system. It will also access remote websites, and email all contacts it can find. The emails sent by this worm will have the following characteristics:
Subject: Hi
<Random characters>
--
Test, yep.
Filename: <Random>.exe
Filesize: 16Kbytes

Also Known As:I-Worm.Bagle [Kaspersky], WORM_BAGLE.A [Trend]

Type: Worm

Infection Length:16 Kbytes

Systems Affected:Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

Systems Not Affected:DOS, Linux, Macintosh, Microsoft IIS, OS/2, UNIX, Windows 3.x
/Claes

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Virus Alert - 18 January 2004

Yikes! Had you seen an alert already? Or do you just delete unrecognized emails?

Cari Spears said:
Yikes! Had you seen an alert already? Or do you just delete unrecognized emails?
I'm up to about 1000 emails a day. Most go directly to the "Deleted" folder through message rules. I have long shut off my preview frame. The rest, I look through, and any that don't sound like real emails get deleted without opening.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

db said:
I'm up to about 1000 emails a day. Most go directly to the "Deleted" folder through message rules. I have long shut off my preview frame. The rest, I look through, and any that don't sound like real emails get deleted without opening.
I may be in the market for a refresher course on mail rules. I can't seem to keep ahead of the spammers and con artists no matter how many rules I employ.

Any tips for the rest of us also approaching 1,000 incoming messages/day?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
Re: MS Windows Virus Alert

It should be noted this virus ONLY affects computers running MS Windows OS and Microsoft e-mail software. No other OS platform or their programs are affected, as usual.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin

Wes Bucey said:
I may be in the market for a refresher course on mail rules. I can't seem to keep ahead of the spammers and con artists no matter how many rules I employ.

Any tips for the rest of us also approaching 1,000 incoming messages/day?
Multiple e-mail addresses and server control. I've got mine down from a couple thousand a day to maybe 5 or 10 a day. A bad day is 20. I also have a SpamCop account which I use to screen all e-mail before I pop from that account.

For most people, good luck. The key for me has mainly been multiple e-mail accounts, but I couldn't do without SpamCop. I RARELY give out my 'Real' e-mail address. I even took all e-mail links, other than some graphics here and there, off this site. Now the person is directed to http://Elsmar.com/Forums/sendmessage.php to send me e-mail.

Spam

Hi Wes,

My service provider offers a spam & virus protection for an extra $4 a month - $2 for each service - both are great! I have received very little spam since signing on. Perhaps you could make a suggestion that your provider use it - www.postini.com.

Sue

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Does anybody know how to get older versions of Minitab to work in Windows 10? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
Ninja Windows 10 100 % disk use after update Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
G Windows 10 OS build Software Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Claes Gefvenberg Windows 8.1 - Pros & cons, hints & tips. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Jim Wynne Windows 8.1: No Security Updates Without Update 1 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Windows XP EOL scamware After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
insect warfare IRS pays Microsoft for Windows XP support After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
insect warfare Windows XP support ends today (April 8, 2014) After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
T Will the End of Windows XP Support affect anything in AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K COTS Validation: Should we validate Windows after each Update? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
G When to use a flyscreen on windows? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 8
Jim Wynne Have you tried Microsoft Windows 8? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 25
Marc The "I am calling you from Windows" telephone scam After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
Z Tutor For Windows--CMM Software--Is anyone familiar with it? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
D Windows CE Operating System - Implantable Blood Pump and a Software Accessory Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
Stijloor Importing Address Books (Thunderbird and Outlook Express) into Windows Live Mail After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc 66% of All Windows Users Still Use Windows XP After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Stijloor Briefcase on Windows 7... After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 29
S Google phasing out use of Windows over security concerns After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Claes Gefvenberg Microsoft Windows users: Which windows version are you using? March - April 2010 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 37
S Software changes (windows 2007 compatible) notification to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Jim Wynne February 2010 Windows Update Causes BSOD for Alureon Rooted XP Users After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
J Google Offers Peek at Operating System, a Potential Challenge to Windows After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
S Does Windows Service Pack (SP-3) upgrade need supplementary 510(k) submission?? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Marc FSF Attacks Windows 7's "Sins" In New Campaign After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
F Is self-serve password reset for Windows considered for validation under CFR Part 11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A If you use Magic Windows Professional SPC Software. Please Reply Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Marc Cloning a Windows XP drive and Booting from a Firewire Clone After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
DanteCaspian Looking for Windows Media Player Help After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
bobdoering From MS: Guidance on Windows Deployments for Business Customers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Stijloor Microsoft's Ballmer: Windows 7 is nearly final After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
A Critical Windows Patch - All Version - 24 October 2008 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc NNTP Usenet Readers for Windows - Suggestions and Reviews After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
ScottK Safari for Windows is out today. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
Stijloor The 20 (Mostly Free) Downloads for MS Windows Computers You Can't Do Without After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Claes Gefvenberg Upgrading the Windows OS PC? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 29
B Which Quality system? Company produces aluminum windows - No automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Claes Gefvenberg So, how about Microsoft Windows Vista? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 85
Marc Vinyl Replacement Windows - 'Weeping' condensation at Glass / Vinyl Interface After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
J MS Windows XP Pro Hard Drive Defrag (defragmentation) question After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 26
Marc CrossOver public beta: Allows Windows apps to run without Windows on Intel-based Macs After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Another Windows Vista Feature Bites the Dust - PC-to-PC synchronization After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Intel-Macs owners now have an official second OS option - Windows XP After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
B Keeping your Windows PC running Smoothly After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
Marc Extremely Critical Windows Security Hole - 29 December 2005 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Dell's Open PC Costs More Than Windows Box After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Q Windows vs. Linux - Just wondering if any Covers use or have tried Linux After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc What is the best 'Windows' laptop (notebook) computer? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Marc Hackers Tune In to Windows Media Player - Two new Trojans After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Courier Where to find a good "STATISTICAL" and/or a good "GD&T" font for windows? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7