MSA 4th edition reference manual - Page 120-121 Clarification

B

Black arrow

Hello,

When i read about the reference figures concerning how to determine the process variation page 120-121 in reference manual MSA 4 th edition i need some help to determine what this mean:

1) using process variation
-process variation , taken from parts in the GRR study itself
-use when selected parts represents the expected process variation (preferred option)

2) surrogate process variation
-use when sufficient samples to represent the process are not available but an existing process with similar process variation is availble.

3) Pp (or Ppk) target value
-use when sufficient samples to represent the process are not available and an existing process with similar process is expected to have less variability then an existing process.

4) Specification tolerance
-when the measurement system is to be used to sort the process, and the process has a Pp<1.0.

Correct me if i am wrong but option:

1) means % Study Var in Minitab
2) means option % Process in Minitab. (Historical standard deviation has to be entered)
3) means also % Process in Minitab (Use standard deviation from a new process with a less variability)
4) means % Tolerance

Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Black arrow

Hello,

Sorry for "pushing" this topic. Would like to have some comments concerning my questions above, thanks in advance.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Hello,

When i read about the reference figures concerning how to determine the process variation page 120-121 in reference manual MSA 4 th edition i need some help to determine what this mean:

1) using process variation
-process variation , taken from parts in the GRR study itself
-use when selected parts represents the expected process variation (preferred option)

2) surrogate process variation
-use when sufficient samples to represent the process are not available but an existing process with similar process variation is availble.

3) Pp (or Ppk) target value
-use when sufficient samples to represent the process are not available and an existing process with similar process is expected to have less variability then an existing process.

4) Specification tolerance
-when the measurement system is to be used to sort the process, and the process has a Pp<1.0.

Correct me if i am wrong but option:

1) means % Study Var in Minitab
2) means option % Process in Minitab. (Historical standard deviation has to be entered)
3) means also % Process in Minitab (Use standard deviation from a new process with a less variability)
4) means % Tolerance

Thanks in advance!
1) Correct
2) Correct
3) Minitab does not have this exact option. You would have to manually calculate.
4) Correct

B

Black arrow

Hello again,

From a recently made MSA: The parts we selected were not representative for the normal process varariation for this part. We would like to use approach nr 2 " surrogate process variation" mentioned above and we have earlier made couple of cap.studies with this part involved.

When it becomes to calculating % Process in Minitab, should we enter standard deviation mentioned overall or within ?

Thanks!

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
If your process is well controlled, it shouldn't make a lot of difference. The overall standard deviation (provided the process is under control) would be the most representative of your process.

Also, method #3 uses Pp, which is based on the overall standard deviation, so that would be consistent.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Bias formula in MSA 4th Edition vs 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
G Understanding & interpretation of MSA results as per 4th edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E MSA 3th edition vs. 4th - What are the topics, formats, criteria, new formulas, etc. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Repeatability Standard Deviation Formula in MSA 4th Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Stijloor Simple Navigation Guide for the MSA 4th Edition Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
H Is my MSA Study Spreadsheet okay to AIAG MSA Manual 4th Edition? Using Minitab Software 18
V Excel Templates for MSA Study as per 4th Edition Manual Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
K Minitab 16 to be used for VDA 5 and MSA 4th Edition Using Minitab Software 5
Rameshwar25 MSA Manual 4th Edition, Page 100 - What is wrong in the Linearity graph? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
S Sample Size for Attribute MSA (Measurement System Analysis) in 4th Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Choosing Parts for Attribute MSA (Measurement System Analysis) in 4th Edition, pg 132 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S MSA 4th Edition formats in Excel wanted - GR&R, Bias, Stability and Linearity Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
S AIAG MSA 4th Edition Summary APQP and PPAP 4
Stijloor AIAG MSA 4th Edition Workshop - August 19, 2010 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D MSA 4th Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J New MSA Manual (4th Edition) - June 2010 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Analysis of GRR studies, MSA 4th Ed, Chapter III section B - Rigid Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
kedarg6500 Bias Study-Finding degree of freedom-P 92 of MSA manual 4th Ed. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
N Gauge Performance Curve - MSA Manual Page 181 (4th Edtion) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Bev D MSA Tools Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
M Difference between MSA and MSE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Preliminary MSA and Sockets' correlation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Bev D MSA Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 46
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N MSA Study for a Leak Testing Device Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
Prashant G MSA Study - AS 9100 and and our customer want us to do MSA study for their parts dimension Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
D Compression Spring Force MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
E MSA Study on MTS dynamic rate measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S IATF 16949 Audit MSA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C Do Calibration Reference Standards require an MSA study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A MSA When an Instrument Measures More than One Parameter Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G MSA Type 1 - Cg and Cgk ranges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
O MSA Study for a steel ruler Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P IATF 16949 MSA Studies for CMM machines IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B 7.1.5.1.1 MSA for inline dimension vision inspection equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G MSA on a Counting System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C AIAG's IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.1.1 - Torque MSA Requirement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
S IATF 16949 7.1.5.1.1 Measurement System Analysis (MSA - Die casting) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J MSA on Part Specific Attribute Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7