MSA bias calculation in 3rd edition - Why is d2/d2star used?

S

Stevenli

Dear all,

For bias in MSA 3rd edition, I have one question as following.
When calculate the 1-α confident interval (CI), there is one formula:

Bias+/-[d2σb(tv,1-α/2)/d2star]

The question is why d2/d2star is used, because when I check the traditional t distribute CI formula, there is no such kind of parameter.

Your attention would be highly appreciated.
Best regards
Steven

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
It's a weekend. Many of our regular Covers take the weekend off and will return Monday. I'm sure some of the statistics whizzes will have an interesting answer.

J

jinzhoujun

Why not use T-test to test the bias in AIAG MSA

hi
in AIAG MSA , use d2 and d2* to calculate the range of bias ,rather than use T-test to test the bias
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Atul Khandekar

Stevenli said:
For bias in MSA 3rd edition, I have one question as following.
When calculate the 1-α confident interval (CI), there is one formula:

Bias+/-[d2σb(tv,1-α/2)/d2star]

The question is why d2/d2star is used, because when I check the traditional t distribute CI formula, there is no such kind of parameter.
jinzhoujun said:
hi
in AIAG MSA , use d2 and d2* to calculate the range of bias ,rather than use T-test to test the bias
thanks
My knowledge of statistics is rather limited so I won't be able to explain this esoteric stuff well. From whatever I've tried to research on the subject, here are a few links that MAY help.

From AIAG: StatExpose_d2.pdf

From Quality Engineering, Vol 13, No 2:
A Note on Using Ranges to Estimate Variability - by Woodall/Montgomery.
Moderator Note:
[Dead Link Removed]
This can now be purchased from: http://asq.org/qic/display-item/index.html?item=14637

From iSixSigma Discussion forum: Bias Calculation

and

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=7178

J

jinzhoujun

almost two years passed, we have no anwser,I think we did better put forwards this to AIAG, maybe it is mistake ,as i know they made mistake in other place,they mistake “g” for “ mg”.

J

jinzhoujun

Atul Khandekar ,thank you for your offer , I get answer now, in fact ,this is my question, I ask steven Li put forward it

G

Gagandeep S. Datta

I wanted to check on the statement - "as i know they made mistake in other place,they mistake ?g? for ? mg?.?

Is it that they mistake "g" for "m"?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G MSA Manual Bias Calculation - Why is the d2* correction factor needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Bias formula in MSA 4th Edition vs 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E Company-wide MSA - Measurement Equipment Bias, Linearity & Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
I Interpretation of MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Linearity and Bias Study Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A Bias Linearity Stability MSA Excel File with Formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Customer Demands (MSA=Bias + GRR/2). Can somebody explain what it means? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
X Bias Analysis issues in MSA Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
kedarg6500 Bias Study-Finding degree of freedom-P 92 of MSA manual 4th Ed. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S MSA 4th Edition formats in Excel wanted - GR&R, Bias, Stability and Linearity Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
T Bias Study - Use of 't' statistic - Page 88 item 8 of v4 of the MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
E Bias Study - How can I calculate significant 't' value? Page 87-90 of MSA manual Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
Miner Intro to Measurement System Analysis (MSA) of Continuous Data – Part 2: Bias Imported Legacy Blogs 4
S How to calculate Bias - MSA Third Edition book on page 85 to 88 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S MSA Analysis - Bias one sample method - Significance of t (v, 1-alpha/2) , V, d2 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D MSA - Can Regular Calibration Replace Bias, Linearity and Stability Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Calculating Bias - Is this method acceptable? MSA manual page 85 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Laser Mike Insturment - MSA - Which (Bias, Linearity, Stability, R&R) are applicable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
H MSA Excel .xls worksheet that includes GR&R (Gage R&R), Bias, Linearity, etc. Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 15
S Bias Study Confidence Intervals - Page 88 of the AIAG MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
M Bias - Upper and Lower control Limit - Bias Study page 88 of the MSA 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Confidence Interval Of The Bias - MSA Manual 3rd Edition, Page 88 Table 3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Courier MSA Tools - Excel templates for doing the Linearity & Bias, & Stability Studies Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 13
G Bias & Linearity Calculations and T Value Formula in the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Error in MSA Manual - Discrimination - Bias Linearity Worksheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
C T-value used for MSA - t-value used in MSA Bias Example is different from Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
T MSA 3rd Edition Bias Analysis - p. 86, the new numerical analysis of results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M MSA - Bias Study - Is there any easy method to follow and apply? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Determining MSA Bias in Automatic Test Equipment for Electronics Modules Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Z Linearity of Bias in MSA - Why is it important? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S 4.11.4 MSA is R&R Enough? Linearity, bias, stability necessary as well? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
F Meeting the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R Bias, Linearity, Stability requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
F Element 4.11.4 - Meeting the MSA requirements of bias, linearity, stability QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
M MSA Manual 3rd Edition - R&R, Linearity, Bias, Stability - Small Company Many Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
L Measurement System Analysis (MSA) - Bias, Linearity and Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 23
F What is the difference between Bias and Accuracy in MSA? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S MSA annual plan Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S If 4 operate to measure, what is the value of k2?(MSA gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
8 MSA--Should I Use Parts or Gage Pins? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
W Conducting an MSA Test on scales Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A MSA samples Preparation. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
N MSA Frequency related literature Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A %AV=0 in the MSA GRR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M MSA - Dealing with inherent within-part variation in assemblies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Ford Q1 MSA - Virtual Site Visit Hardware Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
R MSA on set of parts with low variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
E MSA Reference Manual 2nd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
W Medical Device - fixture qualification and MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V MSA - Using a R&R study for a Tape Measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
M Options when MSA acc. to VDA 5 is NOK (Qms > 30%) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
F MSA for non-contact CMM - ISO10360 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0