MSA - Bias Study - Is there any easy method to follow and apply?

M

Manueltrico

There was a recent production line transfer into our plant,

I'm in charge of calculating all the MSA studies, the customer wants Bias studies, the information I have found for it, it's very confusing, is there any easy method to follow and apply?

Manuel
:frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Bias Method

Manuel,

Welcome to the Cove!
You will find the methods for conducting all MSA studies in the MSA manual. There are also some examples.

As for bias study, you need to have a 'master' or reference part of a known value. This value could be arrived at by measuring part using a much better (details in the msa manual) measuring instrument than the one under study. This becomes your reference value. You measure this part using the instrument under study, at least 10 times. Calculate average of these 10 readings. The difference between the Average and Reference value is the bias.

Hope this helps.
-Atul.

M

Manueltrico

Thank You Atul,

I have followed the instructions you suggested me, but now my problem is with the bias percentage.

the formula I have is = 100 x (bias/process variation)

I tried calculating the process variation by determining the sample standard deviation, and the population std dev. but still I'm not satisfied with the results

:confused:

Thanks in advance for your help

M

Manueltrico

In my process,

-The standard deviation is: 0.0128648
-Bias is: .053

Formula to calculate the Bias percentage is: 100 x (bias/process variation)

Note: I understand process variation as: Standard deviation x 6

100 x (0.053 / (0.0128648 x 6)) = 68%

According to the MSA book I have, bias percentage should not be over 10%.

am I misunderstanding.

I don't believe my bias percentage is 68% when my Precition to tolerance ratio at the MSA is 0.11

What am I doing wrong, or is it right?

A

AlbertPaglinawan

Manueltrico, how many different testpoints do you have and how many times did you measure each testpoints?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Interpretation of MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Linearity and Bias Study Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
kedarg6500 Bias Study-Finding degree of freedom-P 92 of MSA manual 4th Ed. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T Bias Study - Use of 't' statistic - Page 88 item 8 of v4 of the MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
E Bias Study - How can I calculate significant 't' value? Page 87-90 of MSA manual Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
S Bias Study Confidence Intervals - Page 88 of the AIAG MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
M Bias - Upper and Lower control Limit - Bias Study page 88 of the MSA 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Bias formula in MSA 4th Edition vs 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E Company-wide MSA - Measurement Equipment Bias, Linearity & Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A Bias Linearity Stability MSA Excel File with Formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Customer Demands (MSA=Bias + GRR/2). Can somebody explain what it means? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
X Bias Analysis issues in MSA Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S MSA 4th Edition formats in Excel wanted - GR&R, Bias, Stability and Linearity Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
Miner Intro to Measurement System Analysis (MSA) of Continuous Data – Part 2: Bias Imported Legacy Blogs 4
S How to calculate Bias - MSA Third Edition book on page 85 to 88 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S MSA Analysis - Bias one sample method - Significance of t (v, 1-alpha/2) , V, d2 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D MSA - Can Regular Calibration Replace Bias, Linearity and Stability Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Calculating Bias - Is this method acceptable? MSA manual page 85 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Laser Mike Insturment - MSA - Which (Bias, Linearity, Stability, R&R) are applicable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
H MSA Excel .xls worksheet that includes GR&R (Gage R&R), Bias, Linearity, etc. Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 15
T Confidence Interval Of The Bias - MSA Manual 3rd Edition, Page 88 Table 3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S MSA bias calculation in 3rd edition - Why is d2/d2star used? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
Courier MSA Tools - Excel templates for doing the Linearity & Bias, & Stability Studies Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 13
G Bias & Linearity Calculations and T Value Formula in the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G MSA Manual Bias Calculation - Why is the d2* correction factor needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Error in MSA Manual - Discrimination - Bias Linearity Worksheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
C T-value used for MSA - t-value used in MSA Bias Example is different from Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
T MSA 3rd Edition Bias Analysis - p. 86, the new numerical analysis of results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Determining MSA Bias in Automatic Test Equipment for Electronics Modules Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Z Linearity of Bias in MSA - Why is it important? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S 4.11.4 MSA is R&R Enough? Linearity, bias, stability necessary as well? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
F Meeting the AIAG's MSA Manual Gage R&R Bias, Linearity, Stability requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
F Element 4.11.4 - Meeting the MSA requirements of bias, linearity, stability QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
M MSA Manual 3rd Edition - R&R, Linearity, Bias, Stability - Small Company Many Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
L Measurement System Analysis (MSA) - Bias, Linearity and Stability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 23
F What is the difference between Bias and Accuracy in MSA? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G MSA check list to audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Bev D MSA Tools Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
M Difference between MSA and MSE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Preliminary MSA and Sockets' correlation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Bev D MSA Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 46
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N MSA Study for a Leak Testing Device Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6