MSA for Destructive Testing - Tensile tester - Welding Processes

W

weisusu

I have several welding processes where I need to validate the testing method. Basically I have three welded parts where I use exactly the same tensile tester, same testing speed, same testing fixture, same program for testing. For testing validation standpoint, do I need to perform three MSAs or one is sufficient to justify since all testing parameters are identifical?

Aiden

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I know of no reason to do 3 MSA studies (one on each of the 3 different parts) based upon the fixturing, etc., being the same. But - Change one aspect, such as the fixturing, and you will not be able to argue 'qualification by similarity'.

That is my opinion, however. I'm sure one or more of the 'gurus' will add their expertise to this thread on monday.

See the 'Similar Threads' at the bottom of the page and here are a couple of other Destructive Tensile Tester discussion threads:

MSA Study for tensile tester
MSA for Destructive Tests - Tensile test as an example.

D

Dave Dunn

I'd have to think that being different parts would be sufficient reason that you should, or at least would want to, perform separate MSA studies. The part and characteristic are as much a part of the measurement system as the gage, fixturing, etc. Change from measuring one weld to a differently designed weld and the part will likely respond differently and show different variance that the first.

Similarily, I would be hesitant to combine MSA on different parts even if, for example, I was measuring bore sizes of the same diameter and tolerance on each. The bores might be different length or quality of form; the materials used in the parts might cause the gage to have a different feel for the operator, etc. I generally only consider the option of rubber-stamping or combining measurements on MSA if I'm working on multiple tools of parts that are designed to be the same.

I don't consider myself an MSA guru, so take my comments with a grain of salt. The other more experienced pros can help well.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
If it's automotive, the probability is that the customer will require that an MSA (measurement system analysis) be performed on each part whether it is 'necessary' (makes sense) or not.

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Do YOU want to?

weisusu said:
I have several welding processes where I need to validate the testing method. Basically I have three welded parts where I use exactly the same tensile tester, same testing speed, same testing fixture, same program for testing. For testing validation standpoint, do I need to perform three MSAs or one is sufficient to justify since all testing parameters are identifical?
weisusu

If you are in Autotmotive, you probably have to, but...do YOU want to?

Do you see any benefit?

If you don't want to, just do one generic test and submit it clearly labelled as such.

You might get called on it right away (apologzie and do the other tests ASAP), or it might be accepted for years (smile inwardly).

I find the customer person reviewing the data is even busier (and possibly) less knowledgeable than me.

I have sent in MSAs with incorrect math, MSAs done on gage blocks, and family MSAs for years. As long as the R&R was under 10%, there was never a problem (all they understand?). It's my little customer test.

I did get caught with the gage block study by an astute customer SQE. He asked if I knew that it was incorrect to do studies on gage blocks. I said I did, but didn't know if he did. I said I'd fix it if he issued a formal Corrective Action so I could show my boss I needed time to fix it. It did not come up in his closing meeting.

So, there is "what is required", and "what you can get away with".

I suppose there is also "what are you comfortable with".

These are 3 very different things.

I hate MSA, but I always learn something from them. If you don't do it you'll never know. Does it matter? To who (whom?)?

Please let us know what you decide to do

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Destructive Testing Measurement System Analysis (MSA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
G Destructive Testing MSA - Weld Bond Pull - Both destructive and non destructive Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
R Destructive Non Reproducibility MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
S Destructive Attribute MSA for Simple Water Leak Check in Trailers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
optomist1 MSA Gage R&R - Destructive Test with One Sided Specification and One Operator Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R MSA gage R&R (GR&R) for Destructive Test (Non-Replicable Data) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Destructive Attribute MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Y Destructive Gage R&R Spreadsheet - Old MSA formula (5.15s) vs New formula (6s) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B MSA Study on Test Rig Constraints - Destructive, Long Duration Tests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Method S4 Stability Study for Destructive Tests - MSA third Edition page 148 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S MSA for prototypes laboratories - What about Destructive tests? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
E MSA requirement for destructive Pull out test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M MSA Study for tensile tester - Its difficult to do an MSA study on a destructive test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G How to conduct destructive measurement system analysis (MSA)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P Destructive Test MSA's - Mechanical properties of adhesives Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A Procedure on how to conduct a Destructive MSA (Gage R&R) for Force Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O MSA for Destructive Tests - Tensile test as an example Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Bev D MSA Tools Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
M Difference between MSA and MSE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Preliminary MSA and Sockets' correlation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Bev D MSA Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 46
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N MSA Study for a Leak Testing Device Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Prashant G MSA Study - AS 9100 and and our customer want us to do MSA study for their parts dimension Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
D Compression Spring Force MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
E MSA Study on MTS dynamic rate measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S IATF 16949 Audit MSA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C Do Calibration Reference Standards require an MSA study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A MSA When an Instrument Measures More than One Parameter Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G MSA Type 1 - Cg and Cgk ranges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
O MSA Study for a steel ruler Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P IATF 16949 MSA Studies for CMM machines IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B 7.1.5.1.1 MSA for inline dimension vision inspection equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G MSA on a Counting System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C AIAG's IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.1.1 - Torque MSA Requirement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
S IATF 16949 7.1.5.1.1 Measurement System Analysis (MSA - Die casting) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J MSA on Part Specific Attribute Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
S Test Method Validation or MSA for Batch Manufacturing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S MSA on a process using different fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1