MSA for Non Manufacturing - Design Validation, Characterization and Qualification Lab

C

cj80f

Hi,
We are struggling internally if MSA is due also for non production area. We have labs for design validation, characterization and qualification. I checked many forums/articles and is always referring to production. Thanks to anyone helping.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: MSA for Non Manufacturing - Design Validation, Characterization and Qualification

Part of this will depend on any customer specific requirements that you may have.

The key question to ask and answer is whether any of the measurements or test results are used to make a decision regarding whether the quality of the product is acceptable. If they are used in that manner, an MSA should be performed.

You mentioned design validation. In my mind design validation test results are used to make a decision on whether that design meets requirements (i.e., is it acceptable?). In many cases that may be the last time that test is performed unless an engineering change is made, or it is done as part of troubleshooting a problem. Therefore, it is important and an MSA should be performed.

On the other hand, you may have test equipment that is strictly used for failure analysis that would not need an MSA.

C

cj80f

Re: MSA for Non Manufacturing - Design Validation, Characterization and Qualification

Part of this will depend on any customer specific requirements that you may have.

The key question to ask and answer is whether any of the measurements or test results are used to make a decision regarding whether the quality of the product is acceptable. If they are used in that manner, an MSA should be performed.

You mentioned design validation. In my mind design validation test results are used to make a decision on whether that design meets requirements (i.e., is it acceptable?). In many cases that may be the last time that test is performed unless an engineering change is made, or it is done as part of troubleshooting a problem. Therefore, it is important and an MSA should be performed.

On the other hand, you may have test equipment that is strictly used for failure analysis that would not need an MSA.
Thank you for the reply.
I agree on the added value of doing but I'm not understanding if the automotive standard is asking to have it mandatory as going thru the TS seems to be more production related.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource

A thought (based on one of the ways I "use" GRR data)...

For a production area, GRR answers the question "Is my test technique adequate to tell good parts from bad?"

For design, or for analytical, the same approach can answer the "My technique is THIS accurate."

Instead of comparing your gathered data against spec range, or tolerance, or variation.....see what tolerance band gives you a result of "10".
Now you have a tolerance band finer than which you know you should start being cynical about your data.

If a customer proposes a spec range to me...I compare it to my "I can trust my test to here" number and I know what ballpark I'm playing in...

Not what MSA intended I figure...but a pretty useful tool for analytical methods. All in all, it's a good capture of what the noise level is.

HTH

Top Bottom