MSA Manual revision 3 Attribute Data - Signal Detection Formula

T

TommyT - 2003

Rev. 3, p. 134:
"d" is an estimate of the width of region II areas and, thus, an estimate of the GRR=5.15xSDgrr"
d= 0.0237915
How do they make the jump to %GRR = 24% ?
(10/29/02 Errata changes it to 29%, I know, but I still can't figure the math here.)
GRR math experts available ?
Thankful Tommy.
:bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

TommyT - 2003

Statistics - the answer

I got a very quick response on this by using the AIAG website.
Submitted question:
Rev. 3, p. 134:
"d" is an estimate of the width of region II areas and, thus, an estimate of the GRR=5.15xSDgrr" d= 0.0237915
How do they make the jump to %GRR = 24% ?
(10/29/02 Errata changes it to 29%, I know, but I still can't figure the math here.)

Answer:
The d=0.0237915 is the 5.15 * std dev(GRR). To determine the %GRR we need (1) to determine the std dev (GRR) and the process/target std dev. Since the process variation exceeds the tolerance we use the estimated std dev based on the tolerance = 6 * std dev. The tolerance range is .095 (this was not given in the
example). Putting the pieces together yields a GRR percent of 29% = (100%)*std dev (grr)/std dev (target std dev) = (100%)*(0.0237915/5.15)/(.095/6).

This worked out exactly.

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
TommyT,

Thanks a lot for that explanation.

I arrived at this figure in the following way:
Example says that the gage had a GRR of 25% of tolerance (p.126). If you actually calculate the mean of the tolerance range (from the given values), it comes out to 0.0956635. However what confused me was the figure 28 on p. 126 and the fact that the manual states that the process has Pp=Ppk=0.5: together this would make the tolerance=0.1

The manual further states (p.134) that "the goodness of this estimate depends on the sample size and how close the sample represents the process. The larger the sample, the better the estimate." I interprete this to mean that if you have a larger sample size, the calculated tolerance range would approximate to 0.1

Is this correct?

Rgds,

- Atul

Last edited:
T

TommyT - 2003

Yes, I think you are correct.
However, I am not very used to these statistical methods. The MSA r.3 seems to be loaded with new interpretations that are different than what I am used to. It's much more complex.

K

kinwaiw

Re: MSAr3 Attrib.-Signal Detection Formula

I have a question, MSA ver3, p134,
do you know how to calculate dLSL & dUSL, although it shows
dLSL=0.470832-0.446697=0.024135
dUSL=0.566152-0.542704=0.023448
why subtract 0.446697 from 0.470832 in dLSL?
and why subtract 0.542704 from 0.566152 in dUSL?

Thanks

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
How to calculate dLSL & dUSL

Can anyone help on post 5 - How to calculate dLSL & dUSL?

G

Gagandeep S. Datta

Atul,

How do we calculate the zone of ambiguity?

If LSL =.45, USL=.55, GRR% = 25% is there a formula to calculate zone of ambiguity?

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Gagandeep, parts need to be ordered by their Reference Value. Then parts that are clearly bad or out of spec on both sides are all called "Bad" (Code -) by all appraisers, parts that are clearly good are called "Good" by all appraisers (Code +). Some ambiguity may exist for borderline parts (Code x) near USL as well as near LSL.

Please see Rameshwar's Excel file above that explains the calculations beautifully.
Thanks, Rameshwar!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crimpshrine13 MSA for a part Automated and part Manual Inspection Machine IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Gage R&R Criteria on page 78 MSA Reference Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
B MSA 4th edition reference manual - Page 120-121 Clarification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Definition Equipment definition - What does "equipment" mean in the AIAG MSA Manual Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
Stijloor Simple Navigation Guide for the MSA 4th Edition Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
H Is my MSA Study Spreadsheet okay to AIAG MSA Manual 4th Edition? Using Minitab Software 18
kedarg6500 Bias Study-Finding degree of freedom-P 92 of MSA manual 4th Ed. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Excel Templates for MSA Study as per 4th Edition Manual Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
N Gauge Performance Curve - MSA Manual Page 181 (4th Edtion) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Q Using Traceable Standards - AIAG MSA Manual Chapter II, Section B, 1st bullet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M MSA Manual asks for NDC higher than 5 - NDC (number of distinct categories) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
K Error in ANOVA table in the AIAG MSA manual? Table A4 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
P Is there an Errata sheet for AIAG's MSA Manual Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
Rameshwar25 Manual Formula for p-value Calculation for MSA Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
Rameshwar25 MSA Manual 4th Edition, Page 100 - What is wrong in the Linearity graph? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
T Bias Study - Use of 't' statistic - Page 88 item 8 of v4 of the MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
T When is GRR (Gage R&R) required? AIAG MSA Manual Version 4 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
J New MSA Manual (4th Edition) - June 2010 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Atul Khandekar MSA Reference Manual, Fourth Edition Now Available - June 2010 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 59
S AIAG MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Manual 3rd ed. Chapter IV Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
E Gage Run Chart Analysis - Page 105 MSA manual 3th edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
E Bias Study - How can I calculate significant 't' value? Page 87-90 of MSA manual Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
O Problems calculating the observed CP - Page 19, AIAG MSA manual 3rd edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Acceptable Criteria for Variable Gage R&R according to the MSA Manual 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Is the 3rd Edition of the MSA Manual current? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Operator*part interaction - AIAG MSA manual indicates ANOVA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P AIAG SPC Manual (ver.1) Interpretations related to Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
P MSA Risk Analysis Method - MSA Manual pages 126 and 134 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
D What does the entire process range mean? (MSA manual page 73) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
C AIAG Attribute MSA - Analytical Method - Page 135 of MSA manual 3rd edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
J Minitab 14 vs. Excel .xls spreadsheet differences? MSA Manual 3rd Edition Using Minitab Software 4
Y Measurement Systems Analysis - Effect on Process Decisions - MSA Manual page 19 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E MSA Manual says the sum of EV,AV,GRR, and PV cannot equal 100%? Why? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R "Gauge (Gage) R&R Studies per MSA Manual" - Customer Audit Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
D Calculating Bias - Is this method acceptable? MSA manual page 85 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M D4 constant 2.58 vs. 2.57 - MSA III manual vs. SPC II manual differences Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Product or Process Tolerence - AIAG MSA Reference Manual 3rd edition page 3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
F How to use Total Variation based on Process or Tolerance? Page 60 of the MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Howard Atkins Scatter plots - A way of making Excel chart scatter plots to page 106 of MSA manual Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
T MSA using tolerances - Page 116 of the AIAG MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 30
S Bias Study Confidence Intervals - Page 88 of the AIAG MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
N Is alpha in UCI LCI formula constant or depend on sample size? (MSA Manual) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
D Cp Capability Comparison - Page 19 and 20 of the 3rd edition of the MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D What the AIAG manual says about the frequency of MSA - Measurement system analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
C 7.6.2 MSA Manual - Linearity - I can't get the "s" value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Confidence Interval Of The Bias - MSA Manual 3rd Edition, Page 88 Table 3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Has K1 for GR&R's changed in AIAG 3rd ed MSA Manual? Does it affect outcome of study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Attribute MSA-CrossTab Study Example in MSA Manual:How to compute the Expected Count? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
W Seeking: MSA Procedure Template for Qual Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T TS 16949 - AIAG's MSA Manual - Thread Inspection Gage - Attribute Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3