MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Study plan

SATHYABALARAMAN

Involved In Discussions
During my TS audit, i had an observation that "MSA Studies for various type of instruments to be covered in MSA plan", since we conducted only Gage R&R for bore dial gauges.

Msa study plan to be prepared based on instrument, msa study, frequency of study, participants, etc.
Kindly help me to prepare this.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: MSA Study plan

AIAG Blue book for MSA 4th Ed is a useful guideline to perform them.
The clause of ISO TS 9 7.6.1) states that the requirement shall apply to measurement systems referenced in the control plan. You shall conform to the requirement of your customer to do it or used other method if they are agreed with your customer.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: MSA Study plan

During my TS audit, i had an observation that "MSA Studies for various type of instruments to be covered in MSA plan", since we conducted only Gage R&R for bore dial gauges. <snip>
There is no requirement in ISO/TS 16949 for an "MSA study plan." If you have instances where MSA should have been performed (for devices cited in control plans, e.g.) but wasn't, it should be considered a nonconformity and not an "observation," unless you're using "observation" to mean "nonconformity."

In any event, your auditor can't require you to do things that aren't required by the standard. If you think some sort of plan would be helpful that's fine, but you shouldn't be doing it because the auditor doesn't understand the requirements.

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
dear all
i agree with Jim Wynne that there is no such requirement to maintain MSA plan but usually in quality manual/ any procedure/ work instruction , we normally refer MSA plan in our documentation. if we have referred somewhere, then it becomes necessary to maintain a plan otherwise not.

At last, i would opine that without MSA plan one cannot effectively implement the MSA requirement.

Regards

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
dear all
i agree with Jim Wynne that there is no such requirement to maintain MSA plan but usually in quality manual/ any procedure/ work instruction , we normally refer MSA plan in our documentation. if we have referred somewhere, then it becomes necessary to maintain a plan otherwise not.

At last, i would opine that without MSA plan one cannot effectively implement the MSA requirement.

Regards
Hi Rameshwar25,
agree with you.
However we should know more details about the non conformity or observation ( we do not know what it is ) from the original poster.
We should also understand the purpose of the MSA plan, what it means and what the contents are.
It could also be that this MSA plan is intended as a plan of actions for measurement systems that are not compliant to the rules set with customer ( for example MSA blue book), where there is reported PTR, PTV minus than 10 %. So, MSA plan could be seen as a plan to recover for the organization ( case of PTR, PTV major than 30 % etc....).

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Non-replicable tests in MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
W Does TS16949 require MSA on all measurement systems in the Control Plan? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G Interpreting Type 1 MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T MSA on Camera Vision System and other Process Measurement Systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
P MSA for Counting Measurement Systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) for Humidity Machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I Interpretation of MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Linearity and Bias Study Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Variables Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
A Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA) - Who Developed it? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) on a CMM for Special Characteristics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) on Visual Color Check IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
E MSA for criteria Automatic Video Measurement Systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Ford - Type 1 Gage Study MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Calibration of Load Cells - ISO 17025 & MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
G Traceability Studies and Requirements for MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Nonconformance about MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) in ISO/TS16949:2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Case - A little help? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
I Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA) for Trading Industry Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Process template - ISO TS 16949 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Any MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) classes in the Chicago area? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
kedarg6500 MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Fourth Edition Excel Sheet wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc Alan Miner's Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA) Blog Article Series Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
N MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) for Surface Finish Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S AIAG MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Manual 3rd ed. Chapter IV Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
R MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) for Idiots - Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
Marc MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) and Gage R&R Spreadsheets Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
B MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) with One Operator using a CMM or Common Calipers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Z MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) for gages used in final inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Q MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Internal Audit checklist vs. TS 16949 Internal Auditing 4
B MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) on a Video Microscope Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K MSA - Is Measurement Systems Analysis required in R&D? TS 16949 Clause 7.6.1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
U MSA Roadmap - Is there an order in which to evaluate a measurement systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
P MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R with 10 Operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
B Information about MSA (measurement systems analysis) software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
R MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) - Where to begin when setting up a system? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
S Fish Oil Capsule Weight MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
A How to select equipment for MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
H Is MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) only required for SC characteristics? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J ANSI Bar Code Validator MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Automated Vision Inspection System MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Format / Template of all MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) studied Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
W Attribute MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) for Low Volumes Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
H When to conduct a MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
U How to do MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) - I need to know the basics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) for Visual Standards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) for pneumatic torque gun Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Y Measurement Systems Analysis - Effect on Process Decisions - MSA Manual page 19 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
B MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Positional Tolerances Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A How do i start implement MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Question Regarding MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) - Pass / Fail Criteria tests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11