MSA on a process using different fixtures

Hi all,

Need some input on my enquiry below

My process is to repair aircraft blades. The blades have different stages (example stage 1-7) and the blade at different stages vary in size. When we measure at different stages we will be using different fixtures. My questions are as below
1) Do I select the parts based on process variation or product tolerance?
2) If I select to do on product tolerance, do I have to do the GRR on all the different stages since different stages uses different fixtures? Or can I just select one range to do and just do a linearity test for the other stages?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well it depends. Does the size at one phase effect the ability of subsequent phases to be completed or measure properly?

Frankly given the importance of the blade to the system I would err on the side of performing an MSA at each stage across the process variation and then you will know the answer to your question. (It's funny but we can rarely debate our way to the answer of a scientific question; We must do the test. Too often we waste more time debating the merits of various approaches - trying to get out of the work - than we would expend if we just did the work)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Process Tolerances Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Roberticus MSA for gaging which specifies process parameters and 7.6.1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J MSA GR&R Minitab %Process Using Minitab Software 3
T MSA on Camera Vision System and other Process Measurement Systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
P MSA requirements for Systems that Measure Process Parameters Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Study on an Automated Process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
B Gage R&R/MSA for In Process Measurement System in a Turning Machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Process template - ISO TS 16949 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
L Definition Poka Yoke, Process Mapping, MSA - What are these terms please? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
D Ford MSA - Ford TYPE 1 study on a Marposs post process gauge Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T Are MSA?s (Measurement System Analysis) Process or Gage Based? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
B MSA on Process Instruments (Voltmeters, Ammeters Fixed on Machine) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
D What does the entire process range mean? (MSA manual page 73) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
Miner Don Wheeler article on MSA - Good Data, Bad Data and Process Behavior Charts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
Y Measurement Systems Analysis - Effect on Process Decisions - MSA Manual page 19 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Product or Process Tolerence - AIAG MSA Reference Manual 3rd edition page 3 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
F How to use Total Variation based on Process or Tolerance? Page 60 of the MSA manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Y How can we do MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) for Chemical Process Equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Q High value for Cp (i.e. low process sigma) - Is MSA required? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
S MSA (Attribute Gage R&R) on our process monitoring points Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J AIAG MSA and Gage R&R - What does the Process Variation % R&R truly mean? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
M MSA Chicken and Egg - Process Capability and Measurement System Capability Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Marc MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) in a Continuous Process Enviroment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G MSA check list to audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Bev D MSA Tools Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
M Difference between MSA and MSE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Preliminary MSA and Sockets' correlation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Bev D MSA Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 46
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N MSA Study for a Leak Testing Device Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
Prashant G MSA Study - AS 9100 and and our customer want us to do MSA study for their parts dimension Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
D Compression Spring Force MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
E MSA Study on MTS dynamic rate measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S IATF 16949 Audit MSA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C Do Calibration Reference Standards require an MSA study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A MSA When an Instrument Measures More than One Parameter Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G MSA Type 1 - Cg and Cgk ranges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
O MSA Study for a steel ruler Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P IATF 16949 MSA Studies for CMM machines IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B 7.1.5.1.1 MSA for inline dimension vision inspection equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5