MSA Requirements - Movement of Equipment from one external location to another

S

skdaven

If equipment/machinery is moved from one external location to another, when it arrives at the new facility does it need a new MSA completed on equipment moved? We received a major non-conformance for this at our last TS audit.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
If equipment/machinery is moved from one external location to another, when it arrives at the new facility does it need a new MSA completed on equipment moved? We received a major non-conformance for this at our last TS audit.

What kind of equipment are you referring to? You received a major for what?

D

db

What requirement was listed? Specifically what shall was violated? 7.6.1 states you must have statistical studies. TS does not mention about what if the device is moved. Unfortunately, I don't the MSA manual (if that is your customer's reference manual) in front of me. Perhaps there is a requirement in there, although I don't remember one.

Also, did you have the records at the new location. Just saying "we did it at the old place" doesn't cut it. If the records came over with the devices and the MSA does not require a new study if the devices are relocated, I don't see an issue. Specifically not a major.

S

skdaven

I am in the process of looking at our customer requirements. No they did not send the MSA's from the other location, it was our sister business at the time and they our out of business and we have been bought out by another company. This was only a part of the major write up. I don't think that there is anything in the MSA that talks about this, at least I haven't been able to find it. Thanks for the help

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Assuming you're talking about measuring equipment, I can't see where an MSA would be required. You would need a re-calibration to make sure nothing was "bumped."

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Assuming you're talking about measuring equipment, I can't see where an MSA would be required. You would need a re-calibration to make sure nothing was "bumped."

If that is true, I agree. Some people use MSA to mean Gage R&R, and that should NOT be required after moving. Gage R&R is a subset of MSA. Calibration (bias and linearity) is the subset of MSA that needs to be verified after moving measurement equipment. Even that depends on the type of equipment. I don't think anyone would require that of a hand gage....

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I am in the process of looking at our customer requirements. No they did not send the MSA's from the other location, it was our sister business at the time and they our out of business and we have been bought out by another company. This was only a part of the major write up. I don't think that there is anything in the MSA that talks about this, at least I haven't been able to find it. Thanks for the help

What sort of equipment and machinery are you referring to?

S

skdaven

The equipment in question is production equipment. He had also asked if we had calibrated the necessary items when we received them, we had done internal, but no external calibration. London, Canada did it before it came down, however I don't know why, it didn't make sense to me.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The equipment in question is production equipment. He had also asked if we had calibrated the necessary items when we received them, we had done internal, but no external calibration. London, Canada did it before it came down, however I don't know why, it didn't make sense to me.

What kind of production equipment? It should be obvious that MSA applies to measurement systems, not punch presses. You haven't made it clear (a) what measurement systems MSA or machines (be specific) is expected for, or (b) what the problem was that you got a major for.

Reactions: db

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
When moving production equipment, the PPAP book holds the requirements. You should contact your customer to let them know it moved, and they should provide to you the PPAP requirements for the move. That may include process or machine capability, and calibration of any moved gages, but MSA of the machine? Only if you have internal measuring systems that need recalibrated.

Top Bottom