MSA results on % Tolerance charts

Stuart Andrews

Involved - Posts
We conduct our MSA studies and compute the results on a % Tolerance chart that looks very similar to the % Total Variation charts.

However, I have now fully read and understood the MSA manual, second edition, and it doesn't mention a calcualtion based on tolerance.

Does anybody know what grounds I have for using this calculation because I do get more acceptable gauge results using this calculation.:confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Should a gage be measured against the tolerance when the tolerance has no bearing on the gage?

Ryan????????????????

R

Ryan Wilde

Here is where my ignorance becomes readily apparent...

I have no idea what an MSA study entails, except what I have gleaned here. I don't actually do any of the QS9000 stuff, I have strictly worked in the calibration arena for some 17 odd years.

But...

From what I have learned (possibly mistakenly) an MSA is the study of a measurement system including short-term variation, drift, etc. In this case, the tolerance of the gauge has absolutely no bearing whatsoever. What does have bearing is the absolute error (bias ± the uncertainty of the gauge), its repeatability (short-term), its drift (those yearly calibrations, with data, on a spreadsheet gives a great baseline), the effect of your specific environment extremes on the gauge (I've been in shops with 39°C seasonal temperature swings and they have no idea why they have problems measuring aluminum), and variation between the petite guy that is oh-so-careful and Gunther-who-uses-a-micrometer-like-a-c-clamp.

General rule of thumb in metrology - measurement is measurement, and tolerance is analysis after the measurement process. Tolerance is not a gauge attribute, it is a (sometimes arbitrary) number a design engineer figured his/her gauge should be able to meet (and possibly even meet over time) when compared to the oh-so-elusive absolute "nominal".

So, on a good note, if your gauge variation as a percent looks just like your total process variation, you have a mighty fine process.

In other words - I use tolerance for 3 things. First, it gives me boundaries for computing the recall cycle of a gauge. Second, it allows me to take a gauge's reading as gospel if the tolerance is sufficiently small compared to what I am testing. Third, it tells me when to adjust/repair/replace a gauge, which means my company makes more money and can give me raises. ;)

I don't know Stuart's application, so it is hard to say if % tolerance gives any indication whatsoever. But, if total allowable deviation of a gauge is specified in the quality system as the same as the tolerance, it would be a very good indication of gauge condition and drift.

I hope I wasn't entirely off-base, as I've never needed to look at an MSA manual. I just have to do those uncertainty studies.

Ryan

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
My interpretation

MSA studies are conducted primarily to determine if a given instrument is suitable for measuring a certain part. Afterall measurements taken with this instrument will be used for SPC analysis. So MSA studies determine the suitability of an instrument for monitoring and controlling a process. You check the bias, discrimination, stability over time and R&R etc.

The first thing to do is to analyse Appraiser and Equipment variation and correct the problems if any in measurement method, fixturing etc.

There are occasions when your %R&R ( R&R error as a % of Study variation) cannot be brought below 10%. This can also happen if your Process Capability is high. In such cases, one alternative is to scrap the instrument and find a better (and probably more expensive) one. However, you can compare the measurement error with the total tolerance on the part (IMO, not the gage) you are measuring. (Error as % of tolerance) And if this % is low, the instrument may be 'Accepted Conditionally'. An instrument can be conditionally accepted if R&R is between 10% and 30%.

Similarly, you can also compare the bias with tolerance to decide if bias is significant. (This is probably not statistically correct method, may be you should do a control chart with bias study measurements)

-Atul.

R

Ryan Wilde

Thanks, Atul, that is the kind of straightforward explanation I've needed. Really, it doesn't sound too bad to perform and calculate.

So, from what I can gather, I should revise my statements. Since the MSA seems to be specific to a product, then the tolerance of the product not only needs to be taken into account, but has to be the key factor in decision making as to whether the MSA study has proven or disproven that a measurement system is adequate for a particular function. Therefore, I would have to say that % tolerance of the product should be the last step in the MSA study.

I went at it entirely from the gauge tolerance viewpoint, which was obviously the wrong stance.

Thanks!

Ryan

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G ANOVA GR&R: Minitab vs AIAG MSA results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G Interpreting Type 1 MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
B MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Results and Actions Taken Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M MSA 4 - Results of GR&R Study using Range & Average Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
I Interpretation of MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Linearity and Bias Study Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Understanding & interpretation of MSA results as per 4th edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B MSA for Application Test Results - Supplying liquid raw materials to foam producers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
N MSA Calculation - My results do not match those of my customer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T MSA 3rd Edition Bias Analysis - p. 86, the new numerical analysis of results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G MSA check list to audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Bev D MSA Tools Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
M Difference between MSA and MSE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
R Preliminary MSA and Sockets' correlation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Bev D MSA Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 46
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N MSA Study for a Leak Testing Device Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
Prashant G MSA Study - AS 9100 and and our customer want us to do MSA study for their parts dimension Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
D Compression Spring Force MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
E MSA Study on MTS dynamic rate measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A The FILE recommended by AIAG MSA 4ed for LINEARITY Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S IATF 16949 Audit MSA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C Do Calibration Reference Standards require an MSA study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A MSA When an Instrument Measures More than One Parameter Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G MSA Type 1 - Cg and Cgk ranges Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
O MSA Study for a steel ruler Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P IATF 16949 MSA Studies for CMM machines IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B 7.1.5.1.1 MSA for inline dimension vision inspection equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G MSA on a Counting System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C AIAG's IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.1.1 - Torque MSA Requirement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
S IATF 16949 7.1.5.1.1 Measurement System Analysis (MSA - Die casting) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J MSA on Part Specific Attribute Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Test Method Validation or MSA for Batch Manufacturing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S MSA on a process using different fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Camera Vision System Measurement System Analysis (MSA) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
D Cp/Cpk on Gages for MSA (vs. Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 21
L Number of Distinct Categories" or NDC Calculation in MSA Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
Q Doing an MSA on a Climatic Chamber Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L IATF 16949 7.1.5.1.1 Measurement System Analysis (MSA) - Visual Inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
C MSA for Non Manufacturing - Design Validation, Characterization and Qualification Lab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C PPAP Rejection for "MSA-GR&R are not using the latest AIAG format" APQP and PPAP 9