MSA samples Preparation.

Dear Experts;

Please I'm come back to asking you about the best method to prepare or select the MSA samples for a GRR study. because we get a remark from an IATF auditor about the way on how we prepare the sample (next year it will be considered as Major NC ).

Actual method (Wrong method according to the auditor) :
we are using a digital Micrometer to measure the height of piece with a specific value +/- tolerance ( i.e. : 1.05 +/- 0.05 mm), so we prepare manually 10 samples representing real measurable parts. The sample parts must be selected from the process and represent the entire production operating range.
For example we prepare one sample on the min. tolerance value, then we adjust on tools to get a sample on the min. tole. +0.01 mm ... till the max. tole..

According to the auditor when we adjust manually the the height of the sample, we effect the %PV and then we modify on our measurement system which is not correct.
and he said that the correct method is by taking one sample per day for several days. but like this we will get 10 samples with the same height value because our system is stable.

Could you please support and advise me with the correct method on how can i prepare or select the samples in a similar cases.

Best Regards.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
It all depends on how you intend to use the measurement device:
  • If you intend to use it to measure the part to its specification, part selection has no impact on the % Tolerance metric and your method would be acceptable.
  • However, if you intend to use the device for process control (e.g., SPC) then your auditor is correct. Part selection does impact the process variation (PV) and therefore the %PV/%SV metric, so the parts must represent the actual process variation.
An option that your auditor MAY find acceptable is to use the attached document and to manually enter the PV from a capability study rather than use an approximate PV from 10 parts. This will depend greatly on how well your auditor truly understands MSA, so it is risky.

Attachments

Thanks a lot Mr. Minner for your usual cooperation and support.

Normally we are using our equipment to measure the part to its specification, the operators adjust to tools and when the measure of the sample be under the specification tolerance then he start the production ( measuring only the first piece).

As you said "This will depend greatly on how well your auditor truly understands MSA" , because I'm using this method for more than 10 years and i have past more than 20 audits (IATF & VDA) and never i get a NC or a remark about the MSA method.

regards.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I would first explain to the auditor that the device will only be used for inspection, and therefore % Tolerance is the only applicable metric. Once they understand that, show them that part variation is not part of the calculation of % Tolerance, and therefore has not impact.

I would also refer to the MSA manual, 4th edition, page 77, where it states "The criteria as to whether a measurement system's variability is satisfactory are dependent upon the percentage of the manufacturing production process variability OR the part tolerance that is consumed by measurement system variation. The final acceptance criteria for specific measurement systems depend on the measurement system's environment and purpose and should be agreed to by the customer."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Attribute MSA - Number of samples Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B How many Samples are required in Attribute Data MSA Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S MSA with Non Replicable Samples Measured at Detection Limit Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
P MSA with 3 operators but 8 samples (instead of 10) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Attribute MSA - Risk analysis -- How to select the samples Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S MSA annual plan Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S If 4 operate to measure, what is the value of k2?(MSA gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
8 MSA--Should I Use Parts or Gage Pins? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
W Conducting an MSA Test on scales Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
N MSA Frequency related literature Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A %AV=0 in the MSA GRR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M MSA - Dealing with inherent within-part variation in assemblies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Ford Q1 MSA - Virtual Site Visit Hardware Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
R MSA on set of parts with low variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
E MSA Reference Manual 2nd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
W Medical Device - fixture qualification and MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V MSA - Using a R&R study for a Tape Measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
M Options when MSA acc. to VDA 5 is NOK (Qms > 30%) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
F MSA for non-contact CMM - ISO10360 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
T Thermometers and Thermocouple or Transducer's require MSA? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R MSA Studies for chemical analytical instruments in QC Lab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A IATF MSA study Type 1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Nihls MSA after the device move Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M MSA angle issue - Nylon parts using Aberlink 3D Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Ashland78 MSA clause or wording needed. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S MSA clause 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies on counting weight scale Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Nihls MSA Study Type 2 (special conditions ) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Nihls When the MSA results show no operator influence Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S MSA for attribute relation gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Nihls MSA Study Type 1 (CMM) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M MSA Study Type 1 not capable. We are at the limit. And manufacturing wants to continue producing. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
I Overwhelmed with attribute MSA requirement for visual inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
H Need MSA 4th ed. compliant attribute MSA template General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
P MSA for titration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
P MSA - what exactly mean "system" and master sample Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P MSA study for visual system with artifical inteligence Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D MSA strategy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K Updated MSA with the Annual PPAP validations APQP and PPAP 8
E MSA for Push and Pull test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
6 MSA for Calculated Clearance Dimension Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G MSA check list to audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Bev D MSA Tools Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
M Difference between MSA and MSE? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A MSA results differences - Supplier results vs. My results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Preliminary MSA and Sockets' correlation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0