Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

MSA Study - AS 9100 and and our customer want us to do MSA study for their parts dimension

Prashant G

Starting to get Involved
Hello Gentlemen,

Can some one advice how we can read across MSA study.
AS 9100 and and our customer want us to do MSA study for their parts dimension, Is there any chance that we can read across MSA study instead of doing it on dimension basis.

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
Prashant-
You say your customer wants an MSA study. If you have a recent MSA study on similar parts, and you believe the results "read across" to the new customer's parts, you have to ask the customer whether he accepts the earlier study. It will be necessary to give your customer more details to make that decision, than you provided us here.

Prashant G

Starting to get Involved
HI John,

My question was like see if I have prepared MSA on 10+/-0.20mm dimension and then on other parts dimension is 8.0+/-0.15 mm in this case can i read across first one with second or not?
if yes on what basis and if no then does it mean that i have to MSA for all the dimension mentioned on parts drawings?

I'm not a fan of MSA study overkill. So if you have similar parts checked the same way with the same instrument, then IMO one msa is good for all. Sometimes the customer listens. Sometimes they don't.

The general concept of MSA is to make sure the variation from measurement (people, equipment and technique combined) is much less than the variation of objective/attribute being measured so the measurement is trustful. So even similar dimension of which the variation could spread because of manufacturing process itself or the way it could be measured.
if yes on what basis and if no then does it mean that i have to MSA for all the dimension mentioned on parts drawings?
Usually we won't do MSA for all dimension except for those characteristics need special control like SPC or would be used in Design of Experiment.

Top Bottom