MSAs are now required on every feature of the control plan - IATF 16949

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
MSA - did you guys catch that MSAs are now required on every feature of the control plan, not just the special characteristics? The key words here are "each type" so don't forget your visuals! I think I missed it in our gap analysis based on denial LOL 7.1.5.1.1

What do you mean by feature
This was always required for all equipment in the control plan and is still so.
The word feature is not present

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

KimGr

Involved In Discussions
Re: How many of you are Certified to IATF 16949

What do you mean by feature
This was always required for all equipment in the control plan and is still so.
The word feature is not present
Agreed on the equipment. If it was a part specific requirement in the past then we were never caught (our auditors have been great but automotive is a small percentage of our business). We have always worked with our customers on which measurements we would perform the R&Rs on.

Sorry that I wasn't clear by feature, what I mean is every item inspected on the Control Plan including attribute. A couple examples (we are stampers) visual check for burrs or scrapmarks, measuring shear and break using a microscope. These are processing conditions for us pre-tumble, not critical to the customer.

The standard says "each type of inspection, measurement, and test equipment system identified on the control plan". The inspection and measurement part of this is why we were written up because we only had special characteristics on this part and rest of the equipment at the lab scope level, not on these part features.

I am by no means an expert on MSA. I'll take all the help I can get but my auditor was very firm about this.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

Agreed on the equipment. If it was a part specific requirement in the past then we were never caught (our auditors have been great but automotive is a small percentage of our business). We have always worked with our customers on which measurements we would perform the R&Rs on.

Sorry that I wasn't clear by feature, what I mean is every item inspected on the Control Plan including attribute. A couple examples (we are stampers) visual check for burrs or scrapmarks, measuring shear and break using a microscope. These are processing conditions for us pre-tumble, not critical to the customer.

The standard says "each type of inspection, measurement, and test equipment system identified on the control plan". The inspection and measurement part of this is why we were written up because we only had special characteristics on this part and rest of the equipment at the lab scope level, not on these part features.

I am by no means an expert on MSA. I'll take all the help I can get but my auditor was very firm about this.
Your auditor is right with respect to the literal language of the standard but 100% wrong with respect to your process and the usefulness of the control plan docs.

We have the same problems. Burrs was a "big one" last time. We are required to meet our customer expectations which specifically allows burrs not detrimental to safe handling. So we had a "feel" check for burrs. But no MSA, which was a complete waste given the burr requirement. We ended up reworking some docs to put things like visual checks in notes so they technically wouldn't show up as a "measurement." For stamped components a lot of what they ask for is way overbroad. Good luck.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin

A MSA on visual is in my mind needed.
This is one of the differences between Europe and the US.
In the US invariably you don't check eyes, even for using a fork lift in some states!
In most industries the visual issues are those that cause complaints and the MSA process is one way of showing competency in visual inspection.
How do you verify the competence of a visual inspector, which is most places is every associate.

This does not need to be on a specific product, you can save a "test kit" and use this over and over .

Golfman25

A MSA on visual is in my mind needed.
This is one of the differences between Europe and the US.
In the US invariably you don't check eyes, even for using a fork lift in some states!
In most industries the visual issues are those that cause complaints and the MSA process is one way of showing competency in visual inspection.
How do you verify the competence of a visual inspector, which is most places is every associate.

This does not need to be on a specific product, you can save a "test kit" and use this over and over .
That entirely depends on what you're looking for. If I am looking for obvious damage of packaging on received materials how is an MSA value added? It isn't. You can demonstrate competency by training people what to look for and having them demonstrate their ability to do it.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

That entirely depends on what you're looking for. If I am looking for obvious damage of packaging on received materials how is an MSA value added? It isn't. You can demonstrate competency by training people what to look for and having them demonstrate their ability to do it.
How do you know that after "training" all people observing defects come to the same conclusion? My experience is that they often do not. Hence an attribute (Kappa) study may be in order.

Golfman25

How do you know that after "training" all people observing defects come to the same conclusion? My experience is that they often do not. Hence an attribute (Kappa) study may be in order.
If the material comes in and the packaging is destroyed and things are bashed up, it's pretty obvious. If they can't figure it out then they need a different job.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

If the material comes in and the packaging is destroyed and things are bashed up, it's pretty obvious. If they can't figure it out then they need a different job.
I wasn’t referring to damaged packaging. As you already correctly stated; it depends on what you’re looking for. When you rely on people doing visual product inspections, that can be risky business.

Golfman25

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I The concept of Surrogate Process Variation in MSAs Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Y Are multiple MSAs for a single device used on different parts necessary? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
M Not all special characteristics are monitored and Gage MSAs - Two NC's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V Manufacturing requirements for respiratory ventilators - clean room required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
C Is it required to put"Rx only" on the home page of an app? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
B IEC 60601-2-10 - Accuracy of Pulse Parameters - Required Measurement Uncertainty IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
M MDR - Is a formal GSPR Procedure required? EU Medical Device Regulations 20
M When is FAI required? AS9100 8.5.1.3 and 8.4.3 requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
J MDD to MDR transition - Time required for the implementation of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Robert Stanley Required Documentation Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 Contingency Plan required for small Business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
MrTetris Are GLP required for testing cytotoxicity and soil remaining after sterilization of MD? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
Z EN 868-8 "required tests" - Rigid sterilization containers Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Design Verification - Is testing required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
M User manual / instructions for use for class II device always required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S How many mandays required for the below mentioned standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Required Checklist Showing Compliance to IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 11
C ETO Sterilised Class II Medical Device - Required Temperature Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P 21 CFR 807.81 When a premarket notification submission is required Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Are medical device companies required to document every change made to their website? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Glass and brittle plastic Policy - Required per FSSC 220002-4? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
S Is a specific day required in an expiration date? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T MDR Adverse Events Assessments - What qualifications are required? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M EU Basic UDI-DI Trigger Points - When is a new Basic UDI-DI required EU Medical Device Regulations 3
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I QMS documents required at each stage of Software development IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
P UDI-PI and the MDR - Is the UDI-PI required for all devices/classifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Is the document author required to be identified as part of Document Change Notice? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Document templates required for ISO ISO 45001 - Engineering Construction company Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
A Records required for ISO 9001 clause 7.1.5.1 - Fitness for purpose of the monitoring and measurement resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Is Design Validation required for fixtures or test systems used to manufacture a product? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4