MSDS & EMS (Environmental Management System) Linkage

C

Cheryl

MSDS & EMS Linkage

Next week we will be undergoing our EMS certification audit. During a final review of our D&D it was discovered that our MSDS files where not in compliance. :eek: We have a team in place who are contacted and updating the manuals as we speak, this process will be completed in time for the audit. :vfunny:

Question, should we be concerned with the WHMIS (or lack of) labels on the shop floor. We conducted a walk through of all our plants and made some considerable findings, mostly a lack of completed information on the labels. Will this short fall cause us any problems during our EMS certification audit? I'm not certain just how closely linked the EMS is with WHMIS, can you advise please?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
MSDS

Cheryl, are your MSDS (material safety data sheets) listed as aspects? Why do they enter into the picture? I'm not certain they need to be part of the audit.

Randy

Super Moderator
The requirement to maintain MSDS sheets is an OSHA and not an environmental (EPA) one. Simply put, you must have an MSDS for every hazardous material that employees will use in the course of their work. It is a littel more complicated than this, but we'll stop here.

Among other things an MSDS may provide information as to proper emergency procedures, storage information, and disposal recommendations.

If your EMS specifies MSDS availability then you will need to make sure that you meet the requirements established in 29CFR 1910.1200 (Hazard Communication). For a better grasp of what you need to do go to www.osha.gov and look under the "Interpretations" link.

As for the labels on the top of the can...Does you company HAZCOM Program specify how hazmat is to be labeled? If it does, do what your program requires. Hazardous Materials labeling requirements are also specified in 29CFR 1910.1200 for both primary and secondary containers.

One question...has your safety manager/dude/guru/guy/etc. been invloved in the EMS program? If not...Why? If he/she has....why is this subject coming up so late?

Cheryl....you're going to have to look up the Canadian equivalent of the US regulations I quoted. I goofed...but the info is good for US companies. A good Canadian site is www.ccohs.ca (Canada's National Center for Occupational Health & Safety)

Last edited:
D

Dean P.

Cheryl,

Randy is correct in that the MSDS's provide the environmental information on your hazardous and non-haz materials. In order to determine what is hazardous, you need to refer to the MSDS, therefore, these need to be included as a record in your system. And lucky for you, in Canada we have a requirement that ALL MSDS's must be less than 3 years old. If you receive materials from Canadian sources, they must (should) send updated copies to you every three years. If, however, you receive materials from US sources, you typically have to get them to send a letter stating that your copy is the most current version (or some other type of confirmation from the supplier). They usually don't revise their dates for you (us).

As for the labeling requirement, it is absolutely imperitive that your H&S person be intimately involved with the EMS. There is so much overlap in the two systems and with OSHA and EPA, it would almost be easier to make it an EH&SMS (almost).

Finally, since your auditors will most likely be Canadian, they will almost always look at labeling and MSDS's while in the plant, because they know that this is always a relativley weak area in all facilities (in my experience). They also know which legislation applies to these areas (including OSHA, Transporation of Dangerous Goods, certain Handling Codes, as well as Hazardous Waste classifications) and can cite you under 4.3.2, if anything. Hope this helps, and good luck!!

C

Cheryl

Thank you. Your information has prompted us to postpone our audit for another couple of months. This should give us time to clean up some of the weaknesses and tighten up our policies concerning MSDS/WHMIS prior to our EMS audit. Again, I really appreciated your help and quick responce to my question.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M MSDS process audit - Can any one give idea for checklist of the same Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 14
R Material safety data sheet (MSDS) related clause in IATF 16949 manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
T MSDS Language Requirements for Reach Purposes REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
D MSDS / GHS Walk-through / Auditing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
P Specification Subscription Services - Eg: Things like MSDS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D SDS (MSDS) for complex products such as a TV, computer, cars, etc Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
Q Kraft Paper / Core Paper MSDS - Plastic Specs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N Do Material MSDS's Need To Be Controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Is it mandatory to revise MSDS every three years? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
A Where I can get MSDS for Penetrant, Cleaner, and Developer Taseto Aerosol? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M Old MSDS Sheets vs new HCS Standard - Format Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
S Excel format for cataloging MSDS Sheets Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
Q Medical Device with Lead (Pb) - Do I need to create an MSDS sheet? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
D MSDS Datasheet Retention Requirements and Responsibilities RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
N What to do about very old MSDS Sheets Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 24
Q Do we need to keep MSDS documents for all "chemicals" used in the factory? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
J MSDS Sheets on Purchased Steel - Do we need them? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 18
R MSDS Sheets for Products - How much is too much - Or is there ever too much? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
somashekar Chemical Storage Design based on MSDS Study Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
N MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Management Services - Advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
H Hazardous Chemicals Specified in MSDS (format of MSDS) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
Q Control of MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) - Document Control required? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
S MSDS Records - Is a hard copy required if I have a scanned copy? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
S MSDS for Forklift Battery - Do I need to get an MSDS for our forklift batteries? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 15
S Should we Retain MSDS Sheets for chemicals not in use? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
M Dissemination of MSDS regarding your product in your company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Are MSDS sheets or books a part of ISO9001 or QSI audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T MSDS Software - Anyone know of any affordable, yet good, stand alone MSDS software? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
B Thermometer Vendor that can Supply MSDS General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C MSDS/IMDS forum needed RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
C MSDS Sheets in ISO-14001 2004 - Should MSDS sheets be "controlled documents"? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 22
S Do MSDS's (Material Safety Data Sheets) need to be controlled. If yes, HOW? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
P I need to make an MSDS for PCB (Printed Circuit Board) Assembly Product Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
V MSDS information in cellular site shelters? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
K MSDS - Hazardous Material List - Where can I find the list? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
L Annual Chemical Inventory and MSDS Sheets Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
R IMDS (Automotive MSDS) for Lead Free Components and Solder RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
L Material Safety Data Sheet - MSDS should specify how to make the material innocuous Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
J Are MSDS Sheets required on ALL items of a chemical nature? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
K EMS Manual - External auditor expectations Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
R Sequence and Interaction - Combined for both ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R India - EMS 14001:2015 Environmental product declarations ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
R ISO 9001:2015 and EMS 14001:2015 combined audit checklist General Auditing Discussions 5
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1
A EMS - ISO 14001:2015 Implementation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
B ISO 14001:2015 4.3 - How to make the scope of the EMS available to interested parties ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
L Why are some EMS machines not certified under MDD Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
D Is anyone changing their ISO 14001:2004 EMS Policy? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
F ISO 14001:2015 EMS Procedures and Form Examples wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10