MSDS - Hazardous Material List - Where can I find the list?

K

Katydid

I work for a company with ISO9001:2000 rev registered Quality System. I am just getting into the MSDS section of our system. I have noted some inconsistencies with the materials we are listing in as hazardous in our MSDS sheets. For example, we mix a bunch of different salts to make additives for molten aluminum. Many of our products contain Sodium Carbonate, or Sodium Sulfate. I do not see it listed consistently on all MSDS's for each end product we mix, so I want to know which is correct.

In order to verify them, I need to know where to check to see if I am required to report the Sodium Sulfate or Sodium Carbonate for the United States MSDS's. Where is the elusive Hazardous Material list found? Is it the same list as the "Handling Hazardous Materials" book I use to determine the UN number, Proper shipping name, Hazard Class or division, PG, Label Codes, and Placard type? :confused:

My issues extend to other countries too, so does anyone know how to find it for Canada or Australia?

Thanks,
Pyro Kate

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Manufacturers of hazardous materials that are to be distributed are the only parties required to generate MSDS's. What you're doing is a combining/mixing materials as part of the manufacturing process of another material. You shouldn't need to make out an MSDS unless you intend it for use other than your own.

Or if I misunderstood... you are making a compound to distribute. If so then follow the guidance that Kevin gave

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
Msds

MSDS is required, whether product is Hazardous or not. Many of my customer demanded MSDS of Simple Aluminum Foil , I have prepared it and given to whomsoever want. MSDS tells us How to store How to dispose after use.

K

Katydid

I am still wading through it all. We do use Silicofluroides, Cryolites, and Nitrates which are considered hazardous to mix our finished products so we are responsible to make our own MSDS sheets. The big problem I have is when something like Sodium Sulfate needs to be reported in Canada, but not in the US. I am trying to find some easy links to determine international and national requirements for the US. I found the 29 CFR part 1910.1200 part (d) to be helpful, but still isn't the quick search index I am looking for.

Manoj, I thought that an MSDS must be available upon request, but you can state that nothing is hazardous and skip listing the constituents. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the feedback, I will keep looking. So far for the US I have found a Hazardous Chemical Database at http://ull.chemistry.uakron.edu/erd/ but am still trying to determine if I trust it. Do you guys have any other hints for researching specific chemicals?

Randy

Super Moderator
Why not try something unique like contacting your applicable regulatory agency? I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that they may know something about this.

K

Katydid

Kalehner - I like this package. Agreed it is not cheap, but encompases both international and US criteria. My company publishes so many MSDS sheets, I believe it is time we bring our process up to the next level. By this I mean not relying on vendor MSDS's, but gathering the data more directly from ACGIH. Thanks for the information, I will work with corporate to standardize our MSDS process. Until I came on board, they were made by the "expert" for each product line, but everyone had their own method. I am the "expert" for one product line, but I am still frustrated at the lack of resource information.

I'll let you know if we go forward with a new system for publishing MSDS's.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Hazardous Chemicals Specified in MSDS (format of MSDS) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
M MSDS process audit - Can any one give idea for checklist of the same Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 14
R Material safety data sheet (MSDS) related clause in IATF 16949 manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
T MSDS Language Requirements for Reach Purposes REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
D MSDS / GHS Walk-through / Auditing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
P Specification Subscription Services - Eg: Things like MSDS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D SDS (MSDS) for complex products such as a TV, computer, cars, etc Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
Q Kraft Paper / Core Paper MSDS - Plastic Specs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N Do Material MSDS's Need To Be Controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Is it mandatory to revise MSDS every three years? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
A Where I can get MSDS for Penetrant, Cleaner, and Developer Taseto Aerosol? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M Old MSDS Sheets vs new HCS Standard - Format Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
S Excel format for cataloging MSDS Sheets Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
Q Medical Device with Lead (Pb) - Do I need to create an MSDS sheet? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
D MSDS Datasheet Retention Requirements and Responsibilities RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
N What to do about very old MSDS Sheets Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 24
Q Do we need to keep MSDS documents for all "chemicals" used in the factory? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
J MSDS Sheets on Purchased Steel - Do we need them? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 18
R MSDS Sheets for Products - How much is too much - Or is there ever too much? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
somashekar Chemical Storage Design based on MSDS Study Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
N MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Management Services - Advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
Q Control of MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) - Document Control required? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
S MSDS Records - Is a hard copy required if I have a scanned copy? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
S MSDS for Forklift Battery - Do I need to get an MSDS for our forklift batteries? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 15
S Should we Retain MSDS Sheets for chemicals not in use? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
M Dissemination of MSDS regarding your product in your company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Are MSDS sheets or books a part of ISO9001 or QSI audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T MSDS Software - Anyone know of any affordable, yet good, stand alone MSDS software? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
B Thermometer Vendor that can Supply MSDS General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C MSDS/IMDS forum needed RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
C MSDS Sheets in ISO-14001 2004 - Should MSDS sheets be "controlled documents"? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 22
S Do MSDS's (Material Safety Data Sheets) need to be controlled. If yes, HOW? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
P I need to make an MSDS for PCB (Printed Circuit Board) Assembly Product Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
V MSDS information in cellular site shelters? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
L Annual Chemical Inventory and MSDS Sheets Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
R IMDS (Automotive MSDS) for Lead Free Components and Solder RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
L Material Safety Data Sheet - MSDS should specify how to make the material innocuous Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
C MSDS & EMS (Environmental Management System) Linkage Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
J Are MSDS Sheets required on ALL items of a chemical nature? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
6 Management of SDS and Hazardous Material Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
MrTetris Informational Risk Register - Same hazardous situation, different severity of harms ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
B Interpreting "misuse" when assessing Hazardous Situations ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A Hazardous material storage shed flooring material Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
somashekar Applying legal requirements in hazardous waste management. Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
A Is Risk Management Process compliant to ISO 14971 in absence of Hazardous Situations? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
C Hazardous Good Packaging Labeling for Airfreight EU EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
R Loading Capacity of Hazardous Lithium Batteries IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
C Example of Hazardous Situation Report Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
O Hazards vs. Hazardous Situation Confusion ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11