MSDS - Hazardous Material List - Where can I find the list?

K

Katydid

I work for a company with ISO9001:2000 rev registered Quality System. I am just getting into the MSDS section of our system. I have noted some inconsistencies with the materials we are listing in as hazardous in our MSDS sheets. For example, we mix a bunch of different salts to make additives for molten aluminum. Many of our products contain Sodium Carbonate, or Sodium Sulfate. I do not see it listed consistently on all MSDS's for each end product we mix, so I want to know which is correct.

In order to verify them, I need to know where to check to see if I am required to report the Sodium Sulfate or Sodium Carbonate for the United States MSDS's. Where is the elusive Hazardous Material list found? Is it the same list as the "Handling Hazardous Materials" book I use to determine the UN number, Proper shipping name, Hazard Class or division, PG, Label Codes, and Placard type? :confused:

My issues extend to other countries too, so does anyone know how to find it for Canada or Australia?

Thanks,
Pyro Kate

Randy

Super Moderator
Manufacturers of hazardous materials that are to be distributed are the only parties required to generate MSDS's. What you're doing is a combining/mixing materials as part of the manufacturing process of another material. You shouldn't need to make out an MSDS unless you intend it for use other than your own.

Or if I misunderstood... you are making a compound to distribute. If so then follow the guidance that Kevin gave

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
Msds

MSDS is required, whether product is Hazardous or not. Many of my customer demanded MSDS of Simple Aluminum Foil , I have prepared it and given to whomsoever want. MSDS tells us How to store How to dispose after use.

K

Katydid

I am still wading through it all. We do use Silicofluroides, Cryolites, and Nitrates which are considered hazardous to mix our finished products so we are responsible to make our own MSDS sheets. The big problem I have is when something like Sodium Sulfate needs to be reported in Canada, but not in the US. I am trying to find some easy links to determine international and national requirements for the US. I found the 29 CFR part 1910.1200 part (d) to be helpful, but still isn't the quick search index I am looking for.

Manoj, I thought that an MSDS must be available upon request, but you can state that nothing is hazardous and skip listing the constituents. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the feedback, I will keep looking. So far for the US I have found a Hazardous Chemical Database at http://ull.chemistry.uakron.edu/erd/ but am still trying to determine if I trust it. Do you guys have any other hints for researching specific chemicals?

Randy

Super Moderator
Why not try something unique like contacting your applicable regulatory agency? I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that they may know something about this.

K

Katydid

Kalehner - I like this package. Agreed it is not cheap, but encompases both international and US criteria. My company publishes so many MSDS sheets, I believe it is time we bring our process up to the next level. By this I mean not relying on vendor MSDS's, but gathering the data more directly from ACGIH. Thanks for the information, I will work with corporate to standardize our MSDS process. Until I came on board, they were made by the "expert" for each product line, but everyone had their own method. I am the "expert" for one product line, but I am still frustrated at the lack of resource information.

I'll let you know if we go forward with a new system for publishing MSDS's.

Top Bottom