Multi-Division QMS Certification - Pros & Cons

Jeff Putman

Starting to get Involved
Hello Everyone,

Our corporation is looking at going to multi-site TS QMS certification. I can only think of one negative to doing this: one plant gets in trouble (such as containment) then we all are in jeapardy. One pro: big money savings.

I'm looking to hear your pros, cons and experiences.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I can only think of one negative to doing this: one plant gets in trouble (such as containment) then we all are in jeopardy.
If you have a corporate QA manager to take the hit....I mean, lead on this, it may not be so bad. BUT, if all of your quality is plant by plant, it would make me uneasy.

Bruser

Starting to get Involved
I also am waiting for someone to chime in on this:notme:, I had that suggested by an auditor:cool:.

I have a corporate site and 4 other plants. The policy is a common document with slightly different procedures to meet the particular situations in the different facilities.
The suggestion was to have the satellite plants under the same certificate and they would likely be audited on a rotating basis not every plant every re cert period.:confused:

Jeff Putman

Starting to get Involved
If you have a corporate QA manager to take the hit....I mean, lead on this, it may not be so bad. BUT, if all of your quality is plant by plant, it would make me uneasy.
We currently do not have a corporate quality manager and I do not foresee one. What makes you uneasy about that? Please don't hold back, I really want to think this through and hear everyone's thoughts.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
We currently do not have a corporate quality manager and I do not foresee one. What makes you uneasy about that? Please don't hold back, I really want to think this through and hear everyone's thoughts.

Let me give you a worst case. Hypothetical situation: My operation is machining - and we keep up our system pretty well. Across town, the other location is plating, and they are lucky the EPA doesn't shut them down. So, my certificate hangs in their hands...and if they mess up, I am in big trouble. If there was a corporate quality person whose responsibility and authority is to ensure all plants keep their systems in order...you might have a better chance.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
The suggestion was to have the satellite plants under the same certificate and they would likely be audited on a rotating basis not every plant every re cert period.:confused:
Once again, it looks like we have an auditor providing bad advice. For TS 16949, there is NO sampling allowed. All manufacturing sites get audit during each audit cycle. The only gains are in the possible reduction of audit-days per site. With 4 sites, you could have up to 20% reduction in audit days, per site, during the initial and re-certification audits.

Last edited:

Jeff Putman

Starting to get Involved
Let me give you a worst case. Hypothetical situation: My operation is machining - and we keep up our system pretty well. Across town, the other location is plating, and they are lucky the EPA doesn't shut them down. So, my certificate hangs in their hands...and if they mess up, I am in big trouble. If there was a corporate quality person whose responsibility and authority is to ensure all plants keep their systems in order...you might have a better chance.
I see your point. That is my biggest concern

Jeff Putman

Starting to get Involved
I also am waiting for someone to chime in on this:notme:, I had that suggested by an auditor:cool:.

I have a corporate site and 4 other plants. The policy is a common document with slightly different procedures to meet the particular situations in the different facilities.
I'm still hoping for a lot more input. Our auditor suggested we do it and it is a big savings, but like bobdoering said, I'm worried about the other plants messing up.

Besides that, does anyone know any other reasons - pro or con?

qusys

ThE QMS Corporate certification possibility also depends on the fact if all mfg site provides part/components for automobile market.
However all the supply chain will be audited from product conception, marketing & sales up to the delivery and post service if any, passing from manufacturing stages.
Then you should also evaluate how to manage the entire certification, with the creation of quality manual and procedure.having an unique manual and well set procedure for corporate standpoint should help to have a common ground with all interested site to speak the same language and adopting the same quality methods ( I mean SPC, FMEA, control plan, MSA, and so on)
Using a Corporate approach will allow cost reduction , from general perspective and based on my knowledge, but I advice to make sure of this with a formal request to your CB, based upon on some parameters( number of employess, sites to be audited and son on). Clearly , this choice will also affect the maintenance of the certification for the future.
Hope this helps.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Perhaps if the QMS deployment is very clear and is mature enough, then an identification of the Lead site, other sites, Centralized functions and Common functions could benefit for a Multi-division QMS certificate. A draft guidelines is available in GHTF for this on medical devices QMS. Perhaps a similar guidance document for the TS must be available. If the QMS has grown and is mature enough, then I can say its a good proposition to have Multi-division QMS

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Reopening a Closed Division - Multi-division tier 2 automotive supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L ISO 9001:2000 Management Review for multi-site division - Is it possible? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
L Where to place the what/when/how/who/where procedures in a multi-regulation AS9110C organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Sites to List on Multi-Site Certifications Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
F 5520A High Performance Multi-Product Calibrators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S REF and CE mark symbols on multi-component device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Inputs on definition of very similar processes for multi site audit sample - IAF MD1 2018 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Multi-site certification (IAF MD1) - for 9001, 14001, OHSAS/45001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
F Business expanding - Campus vs Multi Site Certification Structure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
QSM_Rick Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
G Integrated ISO EHSQ Multi-Site Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Multi-Site Umbrella Certification Transition Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Multi-level QMR Process Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
R Will multi-time flashovers constitute a failure of Hi-Pot test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
L Corporate Manual - Global Multi-Site ISO9001:2015 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A One site of multi-site company closing - Quality transfer issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
B External Label Content of multi-device (sterile and nonsterile) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L IMDS for a Part of a Multi-Part Assembly? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
S Understanding Subgroup Size - Multi Cavity (Minitab) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Automate GR&R using Minitab on complex, multi-measurement assemblies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
L Responsibility for Labeling in Multi-Location Group Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
O Transitioning Locations into a Multi Site ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K Validation of an Analytical Method that relies on Multi-Variate Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Multi Site EMS and QMS Management System Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Single or Multi site Internal Audits - Any difference in how to carry out? Internal Auditing 2
G Internal Auditing in a Multi-Site Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
V Do we require impurities to be monitored for multi-vitamin products? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A QMS and Certification in a Multi-Company/Group Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N How to qualify (IQ, OQ, PQ) a multi-purpose equipment ? Imported Legacy Blogs 1
S How to implement protection for multi-winding transformer? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P How to streamline different documents in a multi plant ISO13485 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Multi-Site Certification to ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J How to qualify (IQ, OQ, PQ) a multi-purpose equipment ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
0 Gage R&R Standard for Multi Location Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Integrating a Multi-Management System - What documents & records must we have? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
R Mix Multi-Site/Individual Certification - Has this ever happened to anyone? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
W Digital Multi-Meter Calibration Procedure for various Meter Brands and Functions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Multi Language Instructions - Standard for Type Size when Printing Instructions? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M Multi-factor Anova with Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
T DOE Multi level Taguchi - I am doing a Capstone Project Using Minitab Software 10
B Multi Cavity Plastic Injection Mould SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Multi-Vari Help on Experiment Results Six Sigma 1
C Position of CE mark on multi-component product? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R How to select appropriate standards for Multi-Functional Physical Therapy Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
P Multi-factor Anova with Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
R Are multi-faults needed? Effects of a Short Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
R How to Achieve Multi Objective (Responses) Optimization in Minitab Using Minitab Software 17
R Multi Response Optimizer - Help with Response Surface Methodologies Using Minitab Software 3