Multi-fixtures in one CNC lathe - How to do Cmk study?

L

Larry.Jiang

Hopefully you will help me , thank you in advance

we have a CNC lathe within 8 fixtures, we can load 8pcs at one time , but there is some variations between fixtures.

now we are told to do cmk study, i machining 10 times , got 80pcs, then measure the 80pcs then calculate the Cm/Cmk, but the result is very bad, from the graph, we can see there is a big variation between fixture3 and fixture8.

now my question is : is the calculation strategy resonable?

if not , what is resonable calsulation strategy?

shoud we calsulate it by separate fixture?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: multi-fixtures in one CNC lathe-how to do Cmk study?

Hopefully you will help me , thank you in advance

we have a CNC lathe within 8 fixtures, we can load 8pcs at one time , but there is some variations between fixtures.

now we are told to do cmk study, i machining 10 times , got 80pcs, then measure the 80pcs then calculate the Cm/Cmk, but the result is very bad, from the graph, we can see there is a big variation between fixture3 and fixture8.

now my question is : is the calculation strategy resonable?

if not , what is reasonable calculation strategy?

should we calculate it by separate fixture?

I would calculate it by separate fixture. In essence, they act as individual "machines". Attempting to lump them altogether will give you a combined multimodal distribution, that has little value.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

bobdoering's response is correct. You can also take it one step further by performing a multiple comparison of means test such as Tukey's for all of the fixtures.

Fixtures that show a statistically significant difference are studied separately per bob's suggestion. Fixtures that do not show statistically significant differences may be pooled and analyzed together.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!

bobdoering's response is correct. You can also take it one step further by performing a multiple comparison of means test such as Tukey's for all of the fixtures.

Fixtures that show a statistically significant difference are studied separately per bob's suggestion. Fixtures that do not show statistically significant differences may be pooled and analyzed together.
That may be good for snapshot, but until one knows the nature of the ongoing wear characteristics of I would analyze them individually. I would definitely do them individually as an ongoing control methodology, to catch special causes attributed to the individual fixture, and due to the variation of the fixture wear characteristics. I think it will end up being cheap insurance, especially for tight tolerances. You also need to be able to separate tool wear from any fixture effect, and doing the ongoing analysis by fixture will allow that.

L

Larry.Jiang

That may be good for snapshot, but until one knows the nature of the ongoing wear characteristics of I would analyze them individually. I would definitely do them individually as an ongoing control methodology, to catch special causes attributed to the individual fixture, and due to the variation of the fixture wear characteristics. I think it will end up being cheap insurance, especially for tight tolerances. You also need to be able to separate tool wear from any fixture effect, and doing the ongoing analysis by fixture will allow that.
thanks first

but there is also another question if analysis each fixture or ongoing control for each fixture, the problem is :

when we load the pieces, we must number each part, then we can know this part was fixed on which fixture, it will waste lots of time to do this .

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!

thanks first

but there is also another question if analysis each fixture or ongoing control for each fixture, the problem is :

when we load the pieces, we must number each part, then we can know this part was fixed on which fixture, it will waste lots of time to do this .
It is not a waste of time if you get real data. I agree - it is not easy, but that does not make it a waste of time. Composite data of all fixtures will have so many variations mixed in (tool wear, fixture to fixture, part to part, etc.) that you can not make good decisions. And, good decisions are the point of the exercise.

BUT - the good news is if you control the process correctly (as in the previous link) you will have a very good idea what the frequency of these checks should be. That way even though it may be difficult, you will not have to do it any more frequently that absolutely necessary. The uniform distribution allows you to develop the most sane sampling frequencies of any distribution, and you can take advantage of that!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
0 Gage R&R Standard for Multi Location Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
F 5520A High Performance Multi-Product Calibrators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S REF and CE mark symbols on multi-component device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Inputs on definition of very similar processes for multi site audit sample - IAF MD1 2018 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Multi-site certification (IAF MD1) - for 9001, 14001, OHSAS/45001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
F Business expanding - Campus vs Multi Site Certification Structure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
QSM_Rick Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
G Integrated ISO EHSQ Multi-Site Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Multi-Site Umbrella Certification Transition Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Multi-level QMR Process Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
R Will multi-time flashovers constitute a failure of Hi-Pot test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
L Corporate Manual - Global Multi-Site ISO9001:2015 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A One site of multi-site company closing - Quality transfer issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
B External Label Content of multi-device (sterile and nonsterile) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L IMDS for a Part of a Multi-Part Assembly? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
S Understanding Subgroup Size - Multi Cavity (Minitab) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Automate GR&R using Minitab on complex, multi-measurement assemblies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
L Responsibility for Labeling in Multi-Location Group Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
O Transitioning Locations into a Multi Site ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K Validation of an Analytical Method that relies on Multi-Variate Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Multi Site EMS and QMS Management System Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Single or Multi site Internal Audits - Any difference in how to carry out? Internal Auditing 2
G Internal Auditing in a Multi-Site Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
V Do we require impurities to be monitored for multi-vitamin products? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A QMS and Certification in a Multi-Company/Group Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N How to qualify (IQ, OQ, PQ) a multi-purpose equipment ? Imported Legacy Blogs 1
S How to implement protection for multi-winding transformer? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P How to streamline different documents in a multi plant ISO13485 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Multi-Site Certification to ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J How to qualify (IQ, OQ, PQ) a multi-purpose equipment ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
S Integrating a Multi-Management System - What documents & records must we have? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
R Mix Multi-Site/Individual Certification - Has this ever happened to anyone? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
W Digital Multi-Meter Calibration Procedure for various Meter Brands and Functions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Multi Language Instructions - Standard for Type Size when Printing Instructions? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M Multi-factor Anova with Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
T DOE Multi level Taguchi - I am doing a Capstone Project Using Minitab Software 10
B Multi Cavity Plastic Injection Mould SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Multi-Vari Help on Experiment Results Six Sigma 1
C Position of CE mark on multi-component product? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R How to select appropriate standards for Multi-Functional Physical Therapy Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
P Multi-factor Anova with Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
R Are multi-faults needed? Effects of a Short Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
R How to Achieve Multi Objective (Responses) Optimization in Minitab Using Minitab Software 17
R Multi Response Optimizer - Help with Response Surface Methodologies Using Minitab Software 3
K Multi site Clinical Investigation For CE Mark Application - Class IIa Device (UK) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
B Conducting a study on Hexagon Nuts "turned" on a multi-spindle automatic lathe Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
I Machine Capability Analysis in Multi-Dimensional Cases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
P Query about TS 16949 and a Multi-Disciplinary Approach IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3