Multi-site certification (IAF MD1) - for 9001, 14001, OHSAS/45001

I propose we start this new thread. Idea is to share experiences and know how.

IAF MD 1:2018 IAF Mandatory Document for the Audit and Certification of a Management System Operated by a Multi-Site Organization
(Issue 2, issued on 29 January 2018; application from 29 January 2018)
This document is for the audit and, if appropriate, the certification of management systems of organizations with a number of sites with a single management system.

1st question - who has a clue how many of these certificates are issued global?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
I know of a few, but because of confidentiality I can't say who or where other than the fact that I was involved.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
....confidentiality I can't say who or where....
I find it hard to believe any company would want to hide the fact that they are registered to a standard such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and/or OHSAS/45001.

(Pssst... Psssst.. Did you know company X is registered to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001? They're trying to keep it quiet because they are SO ashamed...)

By the way - IAF Mandatory Documents

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
1st question - who has a clue how many of these certificates are issued global?
Impossible to know how many, but, without a question, many large corporations with multi-site operations have migrated their certificates to this type of arrangement, since the possibility of maintaining a corporate certificate, while having only a sample of the sites audited, is very enticing.
It saves a lot of money and minimizes disruption to sites.

As someone who was involved for many years with a global CB, my experience was that most large, multi-site organizations wanted to migrate to such arrangements.

Intriguing (to me) is the fact that very few organizations are even aware, much less, request certification programs under the IAF MD3 Advanced Surveillance and Recertification Procedures. ASRP would be the natural step for organizations with mature management systems and robust internal audit resources. The fact that the IAF MD3 document has not been updated since 2008, while several other mandatory documents have, shows to me that ASRP penetration and deployment in the market is almost non-existent.

Randy

Super Moderator
I find it hard to believe any company would want to hide the fact that they are registered to a standard such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and/or OHSAS/45001.

(Pssst... Psssst.. Did you know company X is registered to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001? They're trying to keep it quiet because they are SO ashamed...)

By the way - IAF Mandatory Documents
I'm prohibited from mentioning specific clients as quite a few folks here could attest to.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I'm prohibited from mentioning specific clients as quite a few folks here could attest to.
Just to be clear, for the benefit of people who are new at this.

You have been told NOT to mention the names of the organizations registrants that you personally are involved with, due to some internet trolls and their trolling.

But, there is NO CONFIDENTIALITY expectation that certified companies can not be identified.

Interesting issues, thnx!
  1. When large, multi-site organizations, indeed tend to move to multi-site certification, why is there not to much info to find on this (training's, best practices, papers....)? In my experience CB's have different interpretations on multi-site certification. They do central function audits in rather different ways, focused on their own interpretations of MD1. CB's audit single-site 9001, 14001 and/or OHSA/45001 in a much more standardized way.
  2. Couldn't we ask the big global CB's there numbers? Any ideas how we could arrange this? Who has the contacts?
  3. Which CB's have ASR in place? As far as I am informed it requires in effect a specific extension of accreditation. Is this right?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Business expanding - Campus vs Multi Site Certification Structure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
G Integrated ISO EHSQ Multi-Site Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Multi-Site Umbrella Certification Transition Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L Corporate Manual - Global Multi-Site ISO9001:2015 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Multi-Site Certification to ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Mix Multi-Site/Individual Certification - Has this ever happened to anyone? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
N Single Site or Multi-Site Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Audit Schedule for Multi Site Certification General Auditing Discussions 33
S Need to change multi-site TS 16949 certification to add another company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
M Sites to List on Multi-Site Certifications Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
M Inputs on definition of very similar processes for multi site audit sample - IAF MD1 2018 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A One site of multi-site company closing - Quality transfer issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
O Transitioning Locations into a Multi Site ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
G Multi Site EMS and QMS Management System Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Single or Multi site Internal Audits - Any difference in how to carry out? Internal Auditing 2
G Internal Auditing in a Multi-Site Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
K Multi site Clinical Investigation For CE Mark Application - Class IIa Device (UK) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
bio_subbu TGA Issues new guidelines on Multi-Site Manufacturing Licenses Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
I Multi-site shipping - Shipping Level 2 example needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
U Internal Audit Schedule for Multi-site certificate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
pbojsen Multi-site, multi-language documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Govind Sharing key Audit learning across multi-site operations General Auditing Discussions 12
B ISO14001 - Company Wide Procedures - Multi-national & Multi-site Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
L ISO 9001:2000 Management Review for multi-site division - Is it possible? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
B Deployment of an "ISO9000-ready" QMS - Multi-facility site ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Corporate/Multi-site Registrations QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
Marc Virtual Office and Multi-Site Registration: Including the FedEx Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
F 5520A High Performance Multi-Product Calibrators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S REF and CE mark symbols on multi-component device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
QSM_Rick Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
J Multi-level QMR Process Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
R Will multi-time flashovers constitute a failure of Hi-Pot test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
B External Label Content of multi-device (sterile and nonsterile) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L IMDS for a Part of a Multi-Part Assembly? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
S Understanding Subgroup Size - Multi Cavity (Minitab) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Automate GR&R using Minitab on complex, multi-measurement assemblies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
L Responsibility for Labeling in Multi-Location Group Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S MSA Help or guidelines - Plastics - Setting up an MSA on a multi cavity fixture Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K Validation of an Analytical Method that relies on Multi-Variate Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
V Do we require impurities to be monitored for multi-vitamin products? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A QMS and Certification in a Multi-Company/Group Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N How to qualify (IQ, OQ, PQ) a multi-purpose equipment ? Imported Legacy Blogs 1
S How to implement protection for multi-winding transformer? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P How to streamline different documents in a multi plant ISO13485 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
J How to qualify (IQ, OQ, PQ) a multi-purpose equipment ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
0 Gage R&R Standard for Multi Location Fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Integrating a Multi-Management System - What documents & records must we have? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
W Digital Multi-Meter Calibration Procedure for various Meter Brands and Functions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Multi Language Instructions - Standard for Type Size when Printing Instructions? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2