Multiple Machines & Fixtures - PPAP run on all 6 machines using all Tombstones?

G

Garry

We have a part that gets CNC machined on a tombstone with 6 banks and each bank has 5 cavities (= 30 parts per tombstone/Fixture). We do have 4 Tombstones/Fixtures. We are planning to use those 4 Tombstones on 6 CNC machines. The machines are basically all the same (brand and model). Eventhough they are all the same, my point is that I think they are not (Age, Wear etc.). To my question: Does the Trial-run for PPAP have to be done on all 6 machines using all Tombstones or is it ok to run it on 2 or 3 machines only.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
excuse my ignorance but what is a tombstone, I assume it is not the usuall definition.
Please give more info so I can relate.
Thanks

G

Garry

Howard

This is a block of Aluminium (6 faces in this case) that holds one bank per face. The "Tombstone" is basically a fixture for 6 x 5 = 30 parts that sits on a pallet.

"Does the Trial-run for PPAP have to be done on all 6 machines using all Tombstones or is it ok to run it on 2 or 3 machines only."

If you are going to use all six machines and tombstones in production, then yes, you have to nclude all in the trial run.

refer to para. 1.2.1, 1.2.2.7 & 1.2.2.13 of the PPAP manual.

Now once this is done ; what do you do to meet the requirements of 4.9.2 of the QS?

G

Garry

Contingency Plan

Sam, you basically confirmed what I thought. It just gets even more complex with the use of multiple sets of formtools.

Here is another one:

How about contingency plan. If we identify in our contingency plan that in a case of serious breakdown we swop to a different machine that originally wasn't part of the PPAP? Does this require a PPAP before proceeding?

R

Randy Stewart

When we went through our PPAP for stampings we covered this issue. If we use a similar press (tonage, hyldraulic, etc.) then we would not have to submit a PPAP package, just inform the customer. However, if we changed the type of press or manufacturing location we would need to resubmit.

A

A. Stuart Dyer

The PPAP should be submitted with documentation on each die in each machine and the results submitted. Once the warrant approval is approved you are free to move the die from machine to machine.

If you have 4 machines and four dies, you test each in each, get it all up front to make the rest of your life easier.

On one PPAP we submitted a warrant that said the parts would be produced on XXX machines 1 through 4 depending upon production requirements. Interchangeability is the lifeblood of industry and they do respect it because it does lower final costs.

Imagine this scenario:

We have a PPAP for die #1 that is only approved to run on machine #2. The customer doubles the order and we say to them, sorry, it is only approved for machine #1???? In the real life, what will they say, "I don't give a flying finger where you produce it" just give me the parts.

In real life we can choose to follow protocal to the tee and refuse their order, or we can add the product to the second machine and make the customer happy.

This is why I would say do the work up front so you don't have to fight the fires further down the line. Sure it might take some extra effort on the front end, but you don't have to fight the fires on the rear end.

Aal...

D
Do we need to re-ppap or dont we?

Page 11 of the pap blue book states we must re-ppap (no. 3); when we reconstruct or modify a machine to increase the performance.

Page 14 (no.3); states we dont need to reppap when there are changes in equipment if we maintain the same process flow. Examples are new equipment, replacement.

A bit contradicitive wouldnt you say?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Validating multiple injection molding machines efficiently ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
shimonv FDA News FDA guidance on Multiple Function Device Products (8/2020) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
I Cannot Export multiple sections from Excel to PDF without losing pagination Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 23
Q Legal Manufacturing Address Change – multiple registrations at same address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
Proud Liberal Power Query to combine multiple tables of unequal number of columns Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Reduction of software class based on multiple external risk controls IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
S Samples for GR&R - Can we get the 10 samples from multiple models Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
C FDA Registration Requirements for Multiple Sites 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
C Can a manufacturer (in South of Korea) have multiple Brazil Registration Holder (BRH) for same brend name? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S Multiple Authorized Reps in the EU for the same device? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Providing IFU (Instructions for Use) in multiple languages EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AS9100 Multiple Distributor warehousing locations under same Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
W SOP for Vigilance reporting covering multiple requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
A Doubt on multiple inspection carrying out for same balloon number during Stage Inspection and Final Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J DoE (Design of Experiments) - Multiple responses with different factors Using Minitab Software 2
L Control Plan - Multiple Process Steps FMEA and Control Plans 8
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
M Multiple missed POs grounds for SCAR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 32
G Single DFU for multiple medical devices in one box Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Brazil GMP license work with multiple BRH? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
E Multiple socket-outlets - Medical Device Electrical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
F Marketing a single medical device with multiple indications Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M IATF 16949 - Multiple Locations - 3rd party audit scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q IATF 16949 Scope - Producing multiple products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Language of procedures when operating in multiple countries ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Working for multiple CB's (Certification Bodies) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
K IEC 60601-1 Testing for Multiple Socket Outlet (MSO) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
H CE Marking on Multiple-Components Medical Products EU Medical Device Regulations 8
O How to deal with Multiple Datums - Position with respect to Multiple Datum Feature Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
D Implementing 5S for Multiple Shop Floor Layout Workstations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
P Multiple Certifications - Is there an order of precedence? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M FDA UDI with Multiple Packaging Configurations Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
G Gage R&R Across Multiple Sites in a Company Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
3 Egypt: Multiple Registrations of the Same Product Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
3 Multiple registrations / authorized representatives in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
R Excel Dashboard for Health Safety and Environmental KPI's for Multiple Sites Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
3 Israel: 1 Medical Device, Multiple Registrations = Possible? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
3 Russia - 1 Registration with Multiple Trade Names Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Multiple Features With Only One Toleranced on the Print Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
I Medical Device - Bundled 510(k) for multiple intended uses Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
V Site Master File for multiple business units within same premises/facility Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Y Gage R&R for multiple measurement system Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1