SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Multiple missed POs grounds for SCAR?

Morlock

Involved In Discussions
Hypothetically speaking, if a supplier repeatedly doesn't fulfill a PO, either wholly or partly, is that grounds for a SCAR? The product that DOES ship is good (i.e., meets all product specifications) so it's not a product issue, and from what I've found, ISO 13485:2016 doesn't speak to process quality to the same level that it does product quality. Thoughts? Is the issue significant enough for a SCAR, or is this just more along the lines of "supplier notification"? Thanks all.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Nobody likes to receive a corrective action request. Nobody. Is the issue relevant and significant or not? Dysfunctional organizations are famous for populating PO's with numerous (quality) clauses that are irrelevant just to appease some people who want to pretend they have power and authority over suppliers.

In principle, ANY requirement on a PO is fair game for a SCAR, in case of nonconformity. For example, you might want to have your supplier compliant with ISO 14001, which has nothing to do with product quality. If the supplier does not comply with ISO 14001, but you don't say anything back to them, what was the point of requesting them to comply, in the first place?

Pick your battles carefully. And good luck.

Morlock

Involved In Discussions
Nobody likes to receive a corrective action request.
Cheers to that, and thanks for the feedback.

Hypothetically, this would be about missed quantities, not so much irrelevant quality clauses or unrelated ISO regs. If it severely disrupts production scheduling, I would think it would be considered "relevant and significant". What would you (or others) do in the situation, and why?

Thanks much.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
So it sounds like they are shipping you partials? Are they sending you the balance shortly thereafter? Are you giving them appropriate lead time? Is it a capacity problem? IMO you're better off with a phone call asking "what's up" and having a conversation than issuing a SCAR.

Morlock

Involved In Discussions
Thanks all, I appreciate the advice.

And if this happened multiple times? A "what's up" phone call and a scorecard ding every time, or is it a sign of something more systemic that a SCAR would be more efficient and effective at drawing out?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Thanks all, I appreciate the advice.

And if this happened multiple times? A "what's up" phone call and a scorecard ding every time, or is it a sign of something more systemic that a SCAR would be more efficient and effective at drawing out?
You presented a hypothetical. You need to provide more information. Have you (hypothetically) not gotten satisfactory results from verbal communications?

Morlock

Involved In Discussions
Have you (hypothetically) not gotten satisfactory results from verbal communications?
Not particularly... Especially in pursuit of answering the question "Why did this happen in the first place?"

I'm gathering that it's a very case-by-case basis, and the issuance of a SCAR isn't necessarily as cut-and-dry as I had initially perceived. Are there any guidances as to when to simply call/e-mail and when to issue a SCAR? Is product compliance/safety kind of the benchmark for that?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
The key thing to remember is that this is a business relationship and, like in any relationship, communication is key. Of course, before you trigger a SCAR, someone should be communicating with the supplier about short deliveries and the potential impact on to your operations. A SCAR is a formal request for correction and improvement, but most people would prefer to be notified as early and as gently as possible about their performance shortcomings.

Risks and criticality have to be assessed. There is no one size fits all type of behavior. If an organization has perfected inventory management and pretty much all parts are received "just-in-time", then partial/short deliveries can play havoc with the production planning, but very few organizations around the world are in that type of sophisticated environment. Have you asked around in your purchasing department? Maybe they are the ones telling the supplier to ship partial lots.

I used to be a soccer referee. In most cases, before I cautioned or ejected a player, I was communicating with them about their behavior. Escalation of feedback is the best protocol when dealing with business partners, in my experience.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
The key thing to remember is that this is a business relationship
That's the point...right there...
Manage the relationship...not the paperwork...
If you need to include the vendor relationship manager, do so. It isn't about filling out forms, it is about the relationship.

SCAR is for folks who have already been talked to (by you) and have said they are OK with getting it....
other wise you are risking more than you you have authority over...

Sending a SCAR without warning is a great way to lose a vendor...or piss them off...both have possible financial implications...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Multiple importers EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Instructions for use multiple manufacturing locations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
S Defibrillator Protection applicability When using Multiple applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
V Software as medical device (SaMD) replicated for multiple clients through APIs IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C Multiple owners for one listed device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A CE-IVD Technical File with Multiple IFUs EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K One CE Mark holder - multiple manufacturing sites EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Multiple function device products EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O Are power distribution units Multiple Socket Outlets (MSOs)? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
shimonv FDA News FDA guidance on Multiple Function Device Products (8/2020) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
I Cannot Export multiple sections from Excel to PDF without losing pagination Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 23
Q Legal Manufacturing Address Change – multiple registrations at same address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
Proud Liberal Power Query to combine multiple tables of unequal number of columns Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Reduction of software class based on multiple external risk controls IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
S Samples for GR&R - Can we get the 10 samples from multiple models Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
C FDA Registration Requirements for Multiple Sites 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
C Can a manufacturer (in South of Korea) have multiple Brazil Registration Holder (BRH) for same brend name? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S Multiple Authorized Reps in the EU for the same device? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Providing IFU (Instructions for Use) in multiple languages EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AS9100 Multiple Distributor warehousing locations under same Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
W SOP for Vigilance reporting covering multiple requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 149
A Doubt on multiple inspection carrying out for same balloon number during Stage Inspection and Final Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J DoE (Design of Experiments) - Multiple responses with different factors Using Minitab Software 2
leftoverture Control Plan - Multiple Process Steps FMEA and Control Plans 8
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
G Single DFU for multiple medical devices in one box Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Brazil GMP license work with multiple BRH? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
E Multiple socket-outlets - Medical Device Electrical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
F Marketing a single medical device with multiple indications Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M IATF 16949 - Multiple Locations - 3rd party audit scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q IATF 16949 Scope - Producing multiple products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Language of procedures when operating in multiple countries ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Working for multiple CB's (Certification Bodies) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
K IEC 60601-1 Testing for Multiple Socket Outlet (MSO) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
H CE Marking on Multiple-Components Medical Products EU Medical Device Regulations 8
O How to deal with Multiple Datums - Position with respect to Multiple Datum Feature Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
D Implementing 5S for Multiple Shop Floor Layout Workstations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
P Multiple Certifications - Is there an order of precedence? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M FDA UDI with Multiple Packaging Configurations Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
G Gage R&R Across Multiple Sites in a Company Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
3 Egypt: Multiple Registrations of the Same Product Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
3 Multiple registrations / authorized representatives in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4