Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 08:42:25 EDT
Subject: Music at Tosebo
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
[email protected], [email protected]

My favorite camp song-which Coach had officially outlawed in 1952-was (and I spell phonetically) "Ki-Yi-Ki-Yikus" We always sang the camper composed parody--I can only recall fragments. . . . Ki Yi Ki Yikus, nobody likes us, We are the boys of OBESOT! (the second line here is proper). . . . Always a winning, always a grinning, always feeling fine. (The bridge into the 2nd verse went - in three dominant beats--with heels pounding on the floor). . . Ki Yi Yi . . . and then on to the next verse.

Another one seemed to go: Camp Tosebo, Camp Tosebo, colors green and white, and when we have a chance for them will fight.

Another had an up-tempo line "Make those rafters ring!" I quickly tired of "99 bottles of beer on the wall" during long rides in the back of the camp truck

An Indian hymn sung (by a soloist)at the close of Indian council meetings was: (once again this is a 50 year recollection) Wa Kon Da Day Do, Wa Pon Da Ah Do Nay. It was difficult to sing because it was in a Native American language. In 1952 Camper "Doc Holmes" sang. In '53 it may have been Tom Buckingham. In '54 and '55 Bill Fearing sang. Bill also owned a cornet or trumpet and played taps many nights.

Once--and only once--when I was sitting at Coaches dining table, he stood up and led us in the song Pie Pie, we all love pie, coconut and cherry, peach and huckleberry, Apple pie is mighty fine. . . and I sang the last line-pretty loud. . . thats the way we love to die. An immediate reprimand and loss of good camper honor was the price I paid, and I dont remember how the pie tasted.

The clubhouse piano got a good work out every day before meals. The two most popular tunes were Chopsticks and Heart and Soul. A new popular song was Tennessee Waltz, which we played on the black keys. Mrs Kaiser, a summer person-cottage up the road from the Beehive-came to the clubhouse to play the piano and involve campers in singing. I think she was the official pianist at Vesper services. Her son, Lincoln (Link), was a junior counselor and counselor. I believe Mrs Kaiser passed away after the 1955 camping season.

Counselors Ron Messner and Fred Meyer had some songs worked out together which they sometimes sang on Saturday nights before the play. Ron played Ukelele accompaniment.

This activity is fun for me and I have plenty more to say George Hausser 52-55

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

GeorgeH

I'd better correct myself on a couple details. . . .About who sang the Indian Hymn-Doc Holmes sang it at council meetings in '52, '53, and '54. Bill Fearing sang it in '55. I misspelled the last name Keiser. Mrs Keiser's son is Linc -- short for Lincoln. Geo Hausser

S

Strong Bow

Learning the verses to "green Grow the Rushes Oh"
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
I'm Wild about Horns on Automobiles
THe grand old Diuke of York
Long Long Trail a Winding

M

Murdoch Campbell

Indian Songs

Coach had me sing the hymn a few times at Indian Council & amazingly I remember it: "Wah kan da day do, Wah pah din a tone ey--repeat." First verse you raised from a bowing position opening your indian blanket to the heavens. Second verse you returned to bowing, closing your blanket.

During our trip to Mackinac Island, we were riding with Coach in his car (a 1950's Mercury Cruiser I think--bigger than most of the camp boats) and Coach came up with his own version of Yellow Polka Dot Bikini. He'd sing,'' 1-2-3-4, tell the people what she wore. It was an itsy bitsy tiny weenie." STOP Then Coach would roar with laughter as would all of us campers. Good memories!

H

hausser

Another Tosebo song:

I remember Sunday Vespers including the singing of "Follow the Grail."

- Bob

G

GeorgeH

I have a question about a couple of words in the following song:

I'm a camper, Tosebo camper
And my ears are made of leather
And they flop in windy weather (with hands held to ears, Coach would wave them)
Joshua Hemlock, tough as a pine knot
I'm a camper cant you see.

Question: 1st word in line 4 -- I remember as Joshua. Recently Joel Bergquist and Fred Meyer
tell me the correct wording is. . .Gosh it's Hemlock. They are probably correct. I'm curious to
know what anyone else remembers for line 4. George Hausser

S

Strong Bow

I agree with Doc - never really thought about what hemlock had to do with the song other than to rhyme with knot - sort of.

H

hausser

Another favorite:

I remember the Coach having us sing: "Marching to Pretoria."

Now, when I think about it, The Boer War was probably still going on during the Coach's time!